Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-09-2002, 15:47   #1
NoVAlooker
What Me Worry

Send a message via AIM to NoVAlooker
Nutria

Anyone know anything about hunting Nutria?

I know Maryland is trying to get rid of them and encourages taking as many as possible, but what is the story in Virginia.

Also, do they make good eating? Is the fur at all useful (they were brought up here from S. America to bolster the fur industry)

was just reading about it here at work, and a co-worker suggested we go out and bag a few.

What should I use to take em? Is a .22 strong enough? Should I pull out the .30-06? the .44 mag handgun? Will my G23 work?????
NoVAlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:15   #2
9x45

Have you ever seen a Nutria rat? Just shoot them and leave 'em for the turtles to eat...
9x45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 13:45   #3
Menehune

I saw a bit on Insomniac on Comedy Central. Cops in New Orleans were riding around in the back of pickups in lawnchairs, using supressed 10/22s on Nutria. They apparently destroy the waterways.

It was interesting. They would shine them, and the cop would open up on them, using several rounds. Then they would go back down and pick them up after shooting one side of the canal. It looked like it took at least a couple of rounds to bring them down.
Menehune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 15:21   #4
bluemeanie
Lospeedhidrag

Send a message via Yahoo to bluemeanie

"Also, do they make good eating?"

I think the fact that in southern AR and Louisiana folks call 'em "nootrarats" should pretty much cover that. Our regs cover nutria as furbearers, but pelts of any kind don't bring much anymore.
Some farmers pay a bounty for a pair of coyote ears, though, so maybe some guy who's sick of his cattle breaking their legs after the critters tear up his pond-banks will be willing to make an arrangement.
Phillipians 3:12-14
bluemeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 00:03   #5
Hunter6657
Back Off!

I used to hunt them in La. back in the 70's .
At that time the pelts brought a good price.
I used a singleshot .22 rifle to bag them.
If the shots are well placed one .22 will do the trick.
Shoot them through the head or behind the shoulder
with a good hollowpoint bullet. .22 magnum would be even better.
Bad placement of shots will get the same reaction as a badly placed shot on a deer.
We paddled around in a bateau (johnboat to yankees) and shot them swimming or inside hollow logs. For the more adventurous, you can wade after them in shallow water peering into hollow logs and looking for them swimming. We also had a dog that would chase them out of logs and burrows and then retrieve them when we shot them on the water.
Nutrias can swim long distances underwater, just watch for the bubble trail as they move underwater and look for them to surface.
There is a bounty program in effect in the coastal parishes during trapping season. They will pay $4 per tail brought in, which is probably worth more than the hide now.
Nutrias look like rabbit when skinned and as they are vegetarians, probably taste ok.
We only fed the carcasses to the dogs and never tried them.
Lots of fun to hunt as aquatic varmints.
Good Shooting,
Hunter6657
Old 07-13-2002, 23:05   #6
J.Bourne
Damaged Goods

When someone can come up with a taty recipe for General Tso's Nutria, the problem will have been solved. ;f
J.Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 13:17   #7
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
.22 head shots or 9 mm, .357, .44, .45...all work.

Picture a really, really ugly groundhog with long whiskers, and you're close. I shot one here ion OR a few months ago....in town! A nutria was duking it out with a friend's dog when I got there (chihuahua-ha!) and the pocket pooch was getting the worst of it....seemed the nutria wouldn't attack, but would feel the need to defend itself when El Stupo tried to get a whiff.

I showed up, the dog ran, and the rat didn't.

I did not sample the critter's edibles, assuming nutria have any.
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 16:21   #8
reptiman
Go Ducks

I've hunted them out here because they destroy gardens. They are tough little things. I broke a wooden baseball bat in half while hitting one over the head and it was still alive! Good luck w/ your hunt!
reptiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 19:16   #9
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Hey Reptiman--

A .22 carbine with CCI CB Long Caps will dispatch a nutria with alacrity, should one be shot in the temple with such a round. FYI....!

Really, really quiet, too........

(FastVFR is not always a good influence...)

Regards!!
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 23:28   #10
RoadRep
Semper Ragilio

Quote:
Originally posted by Menehune
I saw a bit on Insomniac on Comedy Central. Cops in New Orleans were riding around in the back of pickups in lawnchairs, using supressed 10/22s on Nutria. They apparently destroy the waterways.
I saw that. The shooters were SWAT team snipers. Looked like fun.
"What the hell good is a military if it never gets used?... GIs need some good blooding... I got two noches on the stock of my M16A2... Soldiers need to be blooded so that they have affirmations that their training and conditioning work..and to boost their esteem and belief in their cause... any soldier worth his salt would relish the idea of getting down and dirty with his enemy... " Keyboard Commando, 2002
RoadRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 13:44   #11
figment
Texas Stranger

Re: Nutria

Quote:
Originally posted by NoVAlooker
Anyone know anything about hunting Nutria?

Is the fur at all useful (they were brought up here from S. America to bolster the fur industry)
They were brought up by a private landowner in LA. to eat aquatic plants. (thats the story I heard...) They migrate in streams like beavers and are mostly nocturnal. A .22 rifle works good, but a 20 or 12 gauge would be better because most of your shots will be at their heads while they are swiming and you dont want a .22 wizing off into the next county.

They also eat fish and baby ducks and will chew dogs up pretty good, so dont use dogs on em. Just about any firearm will take care of them. The pelts are worth "something". Not sure what. They are disgustingly ugly and I would not eat them much less want to skin one.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:06   #12
Coltking

Send a message via AIM to Coltking
When I was living in Louisiana a few weeks ago my Co-worker & I would go Nutria hunting every week: 10/22 Target works best for me cheap shooting and a quick 2nd shot if needed, though my 44 Mag 77/44 & Redhawk worked great too if I wanted good spray :-) Took my Glock 17 a few times for back up perfect for the up close ones.
They do make great eating if steamed cooked with some taters and carrots
Coltking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 00:38   #13
Quake Guy
Superior Member

I just saw the Insomniac with Dave Attell where he is hanging out with New Orlean's police officers as they spotlight Nutria and shoot them with suppressed .22's in a lawn chair out of the back of a pickup. In the middle of town...

Looked like a lot of fun. This is the first application of my dream of urban hunting...
Old 04-27-2003, 20:27   #14
D25
The Quick

Nutria shooting is one of the funner things in life, but I don't know about using a .22. Those ugly things are pretty resiliant creatures. I've had them tear my dogs up pretty good while duck hunting, and survive some well placed rounds, but that might just be the super-sized-Oregon-nutrias. Happy hunting, and for God's sake don't eat them.
D25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 01:33   #15
striderglock
HVACR

anybody have a pick?
striderglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 13:31   #16
rugbyguy

I have never hunted them although in the current issue of Saltwater Sportsman there is a brief insert about the first annaul Nutria Festival (or something like that). A big nutria hunt and they will even have a nutria queen!
I have eaten nutria in jerky form before and it tasted good to me, but then again...I eat anything.
rugbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 20:32   #17
mzenzer
Argus-eyed

Quote:
Originally posted by Menehune

It was interesting. They would shine them, and the cop would open up on them, using several rounds. Then they would go back down and pick them up after shooting one side of the canal. It looked like it took at least a couple of rounds to bring them down.

Yeah, that's been going on for a few years and it works great. But, to the best of my knowledge it's not New Orleans cops, but Jefferson Parish cops. Jefferson is right next door to Orleans parish. We have more canals I think with major roadways running on both sides of these canals. The nutrias burrow under the street and it causes major problems. I don't think they shoot them in Orleans.

The animal rights crowd desperately tried to come up with a better solution, but even when other types of "kill" methods were suggested, they never were as efficient and economical as shooting them.

Nutria are a fairly popular dish down here, but with so many other great foods it hasn't caught on like some would have liked.

BTW, it's SWAT sharpshooters who do the shooting.
mzenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:28   #18

I hunt them with either my .22 WinMag lever action and/or my Beretta 9mm with "Ranger" SXT's 147gr HP's. Works like a champ. I've even taken a few out with a 55gr SP .223 round. That really kills them dead.

I eat them too!!!!!!!!! I generally deep fry the back straps and portions of the hind legs. And/or I'll put chunks of the meat in a pressure cooker and cook them with some onions/potatoes/ and salt/pepper.

Better yet is a stew that is slow cooked for about 6 to 8 hours. Try it, you'll love it. It kinda reminds me of pork.

Did you know the Nutria is closely related to the Rat????? So I've been told. Best damn rat I've ever had!