SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2008, 17:48   #1
Scarecrow28
Writing Fanatic

Krav Maga

I know that this would generally fall under the Martial Arts forum's catagory, but I doubt that I would get a response their. Recently I purchased David Kahn's Essential Guide To Krav Maga. I'll admit that I'm not the most muscular person on the planet and was just looking for a form of self-defense that doesn't require you to be Superman to use the techniques effectively. First of all, would you consider this books information to be of any quality and, second, is their any tips or techniques you can offer me? I studied Tang Soo Do for 6 or 7 years and some Judo, so I have a basic handle on self-defense.
Scarecrow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 18:23   #2
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

I would never try to learn martial arts from only "a book". I don't know anything about your particular book, but a lot of Krav Maga in this country (like TKD) is taught by people who take a 6 month course and are then considered "masters".
If you've studied Martial Arts for 6-7 years from a good teacher, you should probably understand this.

I helped teach martial arts for a while and had experience with most of the "in" martial arts. None of the students were anything close to what the martial arts claimed to be. My advice is get a GOOD instructor and make sure his credentials are legit. A good forum to look around on is www.martialtalk.com
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 18:33   #3
plasticgunz
CLM Number
Swollen Member

Send a message via Yahoo to plasticgunz
If you're concerned about your lack of strength, I suggest Aikido, Hapkido and Jiu-Jitsu. Also, a book will never do it for you. I'm also interested in Krav Maga, but have yet to find a quality instructor.
"It's time to rid ourselves of the misbegotten idea that public safety can be achieved by unilateral disarmament of the honest citizen, and realize that the price of public safety is, like liberty, eternal vigilance."
plasticgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 19:35   #4
GLOCK30JOHN

The book you mentioned is very good;however it is not the best one out there IMO. That honor goes to "Complete Krav Maga" by Darren Levine and John Whitman. It is very well written with excellent photography. I highly recommend this book as I have learned a great deal from it and refer to it often BUT as others as said, you can only go so far with a book(in this case really far)then you need to find a GOOD instructor and take some courses.I have taken Krav Maga for several years and it is by far better for everyday use by the average person.
GLOCK30JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 19:39   #5
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Hands on training.
Once you are very proficient, you can adapt from books, video, etc.
Still need to practice moves real-time.
KM is good stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 19:39   #6
PeterJasonMN

I was actually looking for schools after I graduate as a way to get in shape/learn/and blow off steam. I was looking at Krav Maga Houston for when that day comes.
PeterJasonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:15   #7
Butcher
NRA Life Member

plenty of videos online to see krav moves demonstrated... but still i think you need an instructor to teach you in person. in 2 months, going 2-3 times a week, i've learned a hell of a lot of cool maneuvers. every class is a great workout. if you think you're in shape, you'll still come out of an hour-long class drenched in sweat, heaving and weakened by your workout.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 13:40   #8
Scarecrow28
Writing Fanatic

Thats the only problem. I can't find any Krav Maga places near me.
Old 03-01-2008, 15:25   #9
mike253
NRA - IWLA

I practice the age old art of Glock-fu, as long as I possess the strenth required for the 5.5lb trigger pull, I'm golden

As others have stated, the book will do nothing for you until AFTER you've gotten some "hands on" training.

If strength is an issue for you where self defense is concerned, learn about leverage and how to apply it in those situations. Also, learn about chokes and pain compliance. Biggest, baddest man on the planet can't put up much of a fight if he can't breathe.
Old 03-01-2008, 16:06   #10
Ffolkes

As a child I once asked my local Librarian what book I should take out of the library for self defense. She said, "any of the hard covers".

Years later I recognize that was actually really good advice.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
Ffolkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 16:10   #11
chongfa

You can't always have a gun with you. You also can't use your gun in every situation. I have no doubt that y'all Glock-Fu is strong, but Glock-Fu plus a solid hand to hand combat to back it up is even stronger!!!

I would recommend getting a good instructor, it is the best way to go.
Old 03-01-2008, 16:12   #12
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticgunz View Post
If you're concerned about your lack of strength, I suggest Aikido, Hapkido and Jiu-Jitsu. Also, a book will never do it for you. I'm also interested in Krav Maga, but have yet to find a quality instructor.
+1
I started a Ju-jitsu class recently
I am pretty strong, and there is no way in hell I could take my instructor. He has about 20 options of hurting me for every position I try to get him in. It scares me to think about what would happen if I fought him for real.
Altaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 16:20   #13
Steel Talon

With 6 or 7 years of Tang so do under your belt you should have a good understanding of body mechanics, flow and targeting. So I say sure in theory a book will help when other options are not available tp you.. However you truly need someone to work with and guide you.

Peace
Steel Talon
Old 03-01-2008, 16:28   #14
SilenceDoGood
G17

I highly suggest Krav Maga, but only from a book to supplement training from a competent instructor. I was taking it three times a week. I was in great shape after 3 months, but had to quit because of I was having to write like 10 page research essays over how things made me feel and how i should feel like every-other day (college can be rediculous somtimes), but i plan on getting back into it. We had a range day one saturday a month where we would learn the fundementals of krav maga's hand gun retention and deployment techniques. Take it. do it do it.
You need to be in some sort of physical shape to even call yourself a respectable human being. Sorry thats just how i feel. Don't tell me you don't have 15 min a day to jump rump do situps/push ups and lift somthing heavy over your head. Notice how none of that was an hour at the gym, or running miles. 15 min a day is all it takes if you work hard. See anarobic excercise/ circit training.
SilenceDoGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 20:57   #15
ltgibson2001

Send a message via AIM to ltgibson2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ltgibson2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow28 View Post
Thats the only problem. I can't find any Krav Maga places near me.
Where do you live?
Old 03-05-2008, 17:58   #16
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Krav Maga schools are tough to find in a lot of places, but have you considered looking into Kajukenbo?
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...
TRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 21:27   #17
Scarecrow28
Writing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgibson2001 View Post
Where do you live?
I already checked for any Krav Maga schools and the closest one was nearly an hour away.
Old 03-06-2008, 21:29   #18
Scarecrow28
Writing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
You need to be in some sort of physical shape to even call yourself a respectable human being. Sorry thats just how i feel. Don't tell me you don't have 15 min a day to jump rump do situps/push ups and lift somthing heavy over your head. Notice how none of that was an hour at the gym, or running miles. 15 min a day is all it takes if you work hard. See anarobic excercise/ circit training.
I'm by no means overweight or in terrible shape. I'm a great runner (around 6 min. mile) and have good core strength, but my upper body is lacking somewhat. I've been doing some weight training several days a week to fix this.
Old 03-08-2008, 18:40   #19
ltgibson2001

Send a message via AIM to ltgibson2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ltgibson2001
I have to travel 45 minutes to get to mine...there is only one in SC and its at the other end of the state and the one i attend is the only one on this side of NC.
Old 03-11-2008, 23:02   #20
bigjim

I took Krav Maga for about a year and a half in Dearborn, Michigan. I enjoyed it and found their teaching to be useful and practical.

I have studied other styles (Tang Soo Do, Isshin-Ryu, Northern Shaolin Kung Fu) and I have found that the moves don't vary that much between styles. There is some variation, obviously, but the human body only moves in so many ways. The teacher really makes the difference.

Krav should serve you well for self defense, as would many other styles. What you need to do is just get out there and get started. If you can't find a Krav Maga school, try something else. I wouldn't try to learn just from a book.