Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:58   #1
KRB

Colorado Concealed Carry

I have a concealed handgun license from Michigan, which Colorado honors. I will be going to Colorado in a few weeks, and I wanted to ensure that I do not inadvertently violate the law. I have been to the RMGO site and Handgunlaw.us, but had a couple of questions that I could not find the answer to:

1. Is there any prohibition against carrying in a bar or other establishment that serves alcohol? Michigan allows in restaurants, but not in bars (defined as making 50% or more of its income from alcohol).

2. Is there any prohibition (other than common sense) against carrying a handgun after you've been drinking. (I mean like a beer with lunch). Michigan law prohibits BAC over 0.02 percent.

3. Does it violate the law to carry on the premises of a business that is posted "no handguns"? In Michigan, it does not, but if they somehow find out that you are carrying and tell you to leave and you don't, you are guilty of trespass.

Thanks for any answers anyone can give me.
KRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 14:57   #2
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
They recently reworked the CCW in Colorado...so I'm not sure.

I will say when I lived there less than a year ago, I could conceal carry in the bar. I'm not aware of any prohibition based on drinking, and I really have no knowledge for the last question, sorry.

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 20:52   #3
The-Fly
The Bofh

I'm a Firearms instructor here in Colorado, so i think i can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB View Post
I have a concealed handgun license from Michigan, which Colorado honors. I will be going to Colorado in a few weeks, and I wanted to ensure that I do not inadvertently violate the law. I have been to the RMGO site and Handgunlaw.us, but had a couple of questions that I could not find the answer to:

1. Is there any prohibition against carrying in a bar or other establishment that serves alcohol? Michigan allows in restaurants, but not in bars (defined as making 50% or more of its income from alcohol).
Colorado law makes NO restrictions on WHERE you carry in terms of alcohol. You're not supposed to be "under the influence" while carrying, but there's no % of BAC given. Generally most instructors (including myself) say that you shouldn't drink while carrying (or at VERY most, 1 beer after a good meal).

Quote:
2. Is there any prohibition (other than common sense) against carrying a handgun after you've been drinking. (I mean like a beer with lunch). Michigan law prohibits BAC over 0.02 percent.
see above answer

Quote:
3. Does it violate the law to carry on the premises of a business that is posted "no handguns"? In Michigan, it does not, but if they somehow find out that you are carrying and tell you to leave and you don't, you are guilty of trespass.
Officially, its NOT clear what the law here says in regards to that. Most (but not all) of the instructors and knowledgeable cops that I've talked with hold the opinion that "no guns" signs on private property mean jack squat. I also hold to that belief. Additionally, I've never heard of a SINGLE case in Colorado of someone going into a private property "no guns" area, and being arrested afterwards.

Fortunately, there's very very very few areas that have "no guns" signs, and I've personally never seen one in this state (though I do know they exist).

Quote:
Thanks for any answers anyone can give me.
Welcome and have a safe trip.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:42   #4
KRB

Thanks

Lady Glock & The-Fly: Thanks very much.
KRB is offline   Reply With Quote