SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-21-2008, 23:05   #1
mrheythere

G20 to the rescue in the woods

Bear story...

I have fished in the presence of bears a number of times in Alaska and Canada, always giving them a lot of room. I usually carry a G20 when I fish in the US, and am well aware of the deficiencies of handgun v. bear. Yet, the G20 is better than nothing and does well against dogs and big cats and meth lab owners. Often I couple it with a can of bear spray.

This weekend a buddy and I are fly fishing for trout. On the hike to the river we see a black bear, so we make a lot of noise and keep walking. After getting to the river and fishing for a few minutes, I hear a tree branch break and I turn around expecting to see a deer. Nope, that big black bear is now 30 feet away. He followed us to the river!

The river was too deep to wade across to the other side. Out comes the G20 from the blade tech holster and I "make big" and shout at the bear, who looks at me and walks back into the brush. I have never known a bear to follow someone.

We promptly move upstream a few hundred yards and it starts to smell like a pack of wet dirty dogs (bear is present warning sign). This bear is persistent. So we pack up and get out of Dodge. We could not relax and fish with our backs to the brush.

I am glad I did not have to shoot at the bear, and was very glad to have been holding a G20 while driving the bear away. Excellent field/woods weapon. I have a Casull but find it very heavy to pack and a bit much for anywhere besides Alaska. 15 rounds of hot 10mm was nice backup.

An interesting part of the story is this took place in Western Washington. One never knows.
mrheythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 23:11   #2
TrooperBrian

Send a message via AIM to TrooperBrian Send a message via MSN to TrooperBrian
I was JUST thinking about something like this because a man in Montana was attacked just last night. You'll be better off with a gun, bear spray is just diluted "civilian people spray"...from 10% OC to 5% OC...the only thing it is going to do is piss off the bear.
TrooperBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 23:16   #3
Ranger.357
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrheythere View Post
Bear story...
I have never known a bear to follow someone.
It depends on how hungry the bear is, and if it has become injured or sick. I haven't heard of too many stories about blacks but a Griz will track you down. I worked with a guy that moved to Alaska and he had to shoot a Grizzly in his living room because it tore through the door of his double wide. He retreated to his bedroom and got his hunting rifle and had to shoot it several times. It died at the end of the hallway leading to his bedroom. A lot of people love bears, I love them as far from me as possible.
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.
Ranger.357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 23:21   #4
mrheythere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperBrian View Post
I was JUST thinking about something like this because a man in Montana was attacked just last night. You'll be better off with a gun, bear spray is just diluted "civilian people spray"...from 10% OC to 5% OC...the only thing it is going to do is piss off the bear.
Is this the story?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ack-near-park/
Old 07-21-2008, 23:24   #5
cimpala

Scary
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
cimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 23:30   #6
perado
Sunburnt baldy

They say that hikers should carry pepper spray and make noise, such as lacing little bells into their bootlaces.

A sign of bear presence is finding bear dropping. I understand that you can tell bear dropping by checking for little bells and chewed up pepper spray containers.

I think a G20 makes much more sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
perado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 23:32   #7
TrooperBrian

Send a message via AIM to TrooperBrian Send a message via MSN to TrooperBrian
Quote:
Haha yes that's it...
TrooperBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 23:42   #8
ljnowell
beyond help

Maybe a possibility this bear is used to humans in the area and is following waiting for trash or leftovers? Its quite common for people to leave scraps and whatnot, although not adviseable when bears are around for the obviously noted reasons.
ljnowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 23:55   #9
mrheythere

Here is an interesting article about having your defense choice accessible.

http://bozemandailychronicle.com/art...bearattack.txt

Part to which I refer:
McDonald then began removing the wrist straps from his hiking poles so he could reach the bear spray at his waist. Then the bear attacked, and started working on McDonald's leg.
Old 07-21-2008, 23:57   #10
mrheythere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljnowell View Post
Maybe a possibility this bear is used to humans in the area and is following waiting for trash or leftovers? Its quite common for people to leave scraps and whatnot, although not adviseable when bears are around for the obviously noted reasons.
The above sounds like a plausible reason.

I have been running a lot searches on Google and this story lends support for your theory.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,670192470,00.html
Old 07-21-2008, 23:57   #11
Ranger.357
NRA Member

I just remeber something else about Grizzlies, I was watching that surving in Alaska series and the guide was saying that they have learned to come running when they hear gunshots, cuz it normally means downed game.

PS..........Don't aim for the head.
Old 07-22-2008, 00:01   #12
mrheythere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger.357 View Post
PS..........Don't aim for the head.
Why not?
Old 07-22-2008, 00:05   #13
Ranger.357
NRA Member

Quote:
Why not?
Skulls too thick, won't penetrate the brain. Maybe from the side with a HP rifle, but a shot to the forehead with a handgun will most likely part his scalp only.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:44   #14
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Quote:
Skulls too thick, won't penetrate the brain. Maybe from the side with a HP rifle, but a shot to the forehead with a handgun will most likely part his scalp only.
+1.........even a high powered rifle bullet can glance off the front of the skull.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:13   #15
kurtiss

Scary stuff. Glad it turned out ok and you didn't have to shoot. Good call on getting out of there. Something wasn't right with the bear, because black bears are usually scared of people and will usually take off at the first sight of a human.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:18   #16
dancingwolf

From your description, it sounds like the bear was stalking you, something black bears usually don't do, but I'm glad all turned out well and you didn't have to shoot.

It must have felt comforting to know you had your GLOCK primed and ready!!
dancingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51   #17
vafish

I agree that it sounds like the bear was stalking you.

Did you report it to the Game Warden?
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:49   #18
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:

I agree on the "thick as a brick" skull part. But, to add a tid bit here. It is mostly due to the angle of the skull on a Grizz, and the placement, or area of where the brain is in the skull. Many a hunter has taken a "frontal shot," at a Grizz to the head with high powered rifle, aiming just above, and right between the eyes, only to see the bullet zip right off the skull like a ricochet off a pond. This don't mean you can't do it, but if the head 'must be the target', broad side is best. I know some folks with heads like this. ha.

Good luck to ya.
Now get back out there and go fishin!

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:52   #19
LUVMYSIGP225

Quote:
Mother of god. These things sound like Armored Personnel Carriers more than they sound like wild animals. LOL!!!!
LUVMYSIGP225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 16:42   #20
mrheythere

Hmmm. Maybe he was stalking us. Glad it turned out Ok.