Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2015, 22:39   #1
danattherock

Annealing? Or thinking about it. Check this out...

My newfound interest in reloading 50 BMG has me convinced to anneal. Also, recently loading 5-6x fired 223 Lapua cases with 77 SMK molys, I noticed varying seating pressure and it was confirmed with erratic numbers on the chrono. Neck tension is all over the place. To make matters worse, accuracy fell off what had been a 1/4-1/2" gun. A Barnes Precision AR-15 with 20" Krieger I had recently shot a 0.172" group with.

Anyway, said all that to say this. Ask me two months ago about annealing, and I would have said no way. It was up there with neck turning, two tasks I was trying to avoid. But now, after personal experience and lots of reading, I'm about to dive in. I've been torn between jerry rigging a cordless drill and a $500-600 Giraud or Bench-source annealing machine.

Found my solution tonight. Check out the video.

http://www.cartridgeanneal.com/Home_Page.php

Dan

Last edited by danattherock; 03-27-2015 at 11:20..
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:11   #2
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Slick, I do it and think it helps. Less cracked cases for 256, 300BO and 440 Cor-Bon. Thanks,

wp

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member, IDPA / ICORE RO

Last edited by willie_pete; 03-27-2015 at 03:11..
willie_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:55   #3
jmorris

I decided I wanted to take the human element out of the equation so I built my own machine.

Reloading

Hundreds of others have too over the years.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...annealer-today

Last edited by jmorris; 03-27-2015 at 06:55..
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:37   #4
oneofthose

Quote:
Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
My newfound interest in reloading 50 BMG has me convinced to anneal. Also, recently loading 5-6x fired 223 Lapua cases with 77 SMK molys, I noticed varying seating pressure and it was confirmed with erratic numbers on the chrono. Neck tension is all over the place. To make matters worse, accuracy fell off what had been a 1/4-1/2" gun. A Barnes Precision AR-15 with 20" Krieger I had recently shot a 0.172" group with.

Anyway, said all that to say this. Ask me two months ago about annealing, and I would have said no way. It was up there with neck turning, two tasks I was trying to avoid. But now, after personal experience and lots of reading, I'm about to dive in. I've been torn between jerry rigging a cordless drill and a $500-600 Giraud or Benchsouce annealing machine.

Found my solution tonight...

http://www.cartridgeanneal.com/Home_Page.php

Dan
That seems like a pretty economical way to go. I've never annealed but I'm considering it since I've gotten into service rifle matches and reloading for that purpose.

Just last night I loaded up a batch of brand new Lapua brass with Hornady 75 HPBT's and noticed 3 that seated unusually easy. I set them aside and will chrono them compared to a couple others from that batch. I've never ponied up for Lapua brass before this. Hope I'm not disappointed after all I've heard.

You say you've loaded it 6 times before noticing a neck tension issue, that sounds pretty good to me. How are you sizing/trimming?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:21   #5
CarryTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
I decided I wanted to take the human element out of the equation so I built my own machine.

Reloading

Hundreds of others have too over the years.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...annealer-today
JMorris = The Master of Reloading Automation!

I love mechanical problem solving. I wish I had the time and resources to devote to building the machines that you do. Awesome! I am sure it would be a treat to visit your shop.

Last edited by CarryTexas; 03-27-2015 at 08:25..
CarryTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:36   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Very nice.

Ignore Text Size....posting from a phone.
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:42   #7
SJ 40

I anneal every loading of my BPCR brass it has proven it's worth to me. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:06   #8
WeeWilly

I anneal my rifle cases every five loadings. When I am loading at the range with hand dies and an arbor press, on successive loading of the same case I can feel less neck tension with each successive bullet seating.

How much consistent neck tension matters is a little bigger puzzle for me. One of the many tests I have always planned to do, but never did, was to try a few of my favorite loads in a few of my favorite guns to see what other variable have to be present before consistent neck tension makes a difference.

I have always assumed that for a guy loading with zero jump, consistent neck tension probably was less important than for someone loading with a jump or jammed into the lands (where the neck tension differences might make a bigger difference).

Ah for the day when I have unlimited time and funds to pursue such fanciful notions.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 03-27-2015 at 11:07..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:32   #9
danattherock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthose View Post
I've never ponied up for Lapua brass before this. Hope I'm not disappointed after all I've heard.

You say you've loaded it 6 times before noticing a neck tension issue, that sounds pretty good to me. How are you sizing/trimming?

I'm a big fan of Lapua brass. Bought two boxes of 223 initially, and just bought two more. Wt sorted and found about 70% of each box of 100 within a grain, so that's what I'm shooting. Saving high and low weights to pair up after I buy and wt sort a few more boxes, and I recently bought two more.

BTW, best prices I've seen for Lapua brass are at www.Bullets.com good folks and I recently bought a Bald Eagle rest from there. Incredible rest for $165. Lapua 223 cases are about $20/box cheaper at this site than I recently paid at Midway.

As for sizing, I recently ditched my Redding Deluxe 3 die set in 223 for a Lee collet neck sizer, Redding body die, and Forster Ultra seater. Before buying Forster seater, the runout avg on my 21st Century concentricity gauge was 4.5 with Redding 3 die set and now is 1-1.5 with Lee neck collet and Redding body die. Haven't used the new seater, and I suspect it will only help.

For trimming, these Lapua cases were trimmed on Forster. I also have a Little Crow Gunworks WFT that chucks on cordless drill for 223. It's fast and I love it. Trim once fired PMC 223 cases that are my high volume plinking load I make on Dillon 550. I just bought a WFT 'big boy' for my 50 BMG cases. They are great trimmers.

Dan

Last edited by danattherock; 03-27-2015 at 11:38..
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 14:44   #10
ess45

I'm planning to build one similar to this.

But manually fed. More like this one.

Already have the power supply, speed controller and the motor.

Reloading
ess45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 16:51   #11
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Well that's pretty slick.

wp

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member, IDPA / ICORE RO
willie_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 18:07   #12
njl

That looks slow and like sooner or later, I'd burn my hand using it. I wonder if I can get a friend who's handy to help build one of those rotary ones, where you just feed the cases in and they get annealed on the other side of the machine.