Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:37   #1
Rusty Gun

Blue bullets?

Anyone loading blue bullets for .40? I read a number of posts on a different site that indicated they use lead bullets with some kind of blue colored magic coating do not lead barrels or smoke like the standard lead bullets.
Any experience with these?

The problem with not knowing what you are doing is it is really hard to tell when you are done.
Rusty Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:12   #2
techiej

No experience with them for 40 but I've been very happy with these (thebluebullets.com) in 9 (Glock) & 45 (1911).
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:22   #3
unclebob

I tried them in 45acp and did not care for them. Some of the coating was coming of when it left the barrel. They are just powder coated bullets. I prefer Bayou Bullets or Black and Blue bullets
GSSF Life Member
EX AC-130 A/E/H Spector Gunship Gunner __________________________________________
unclebob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:49   #4
danattherock

Heard lots about coated bullets generally speaking lately. Blue isn't special, several colors, the coating is what reduced fouling and such. Color just being an additive. The main ones I've considered are Missouri Bullets coated bullets. I use their bullets, which I buy directly from them. Great product and company. They offer several bullets in a coated option now, for a few dollars more per 500. I'm still weighing out benefits vs cost.

Dan

Last edited by danattherock; 03-22-2015 at 10:50..
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 21:43   #5
AJE
*goes to 11*

Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
I've purchased somewhere north of 20,000 blue bullets.

Here's a group at 50 yards from my 34 (left) vs. the same load with a Precision Delta FMJ.

Reloading

17g1, 17g4, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 34, 42

Last edited by AJE; 03-25-2015 at 21:46..
AJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:03   #6
fredj338

I've shot some test loads with Bayou & Missouri coated. Now I'm coating my own cast using hi-tech. They shoot as well as conventional lead w/o the smoke.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-27-2015 at 17:48..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:42   #7
Rusty Gun

I have ordered some

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJE View Post
I've purchased somewhere north of 20,000 blue bullets.

Here's a group at 50 yards from my 34 (left) vs. the same load with a Precision Delta FMJ.

Reloading
Based on your post and as a part of my continuing education in the reloading arts, I just ordered 250 180 gr FP blue bullets for .40 S&w.
What powder and charge would be a suitable match with these? I read some where that "lead" bullets need to be loaded to generate pressures below 21,000 in the .40, would that apply here also? I am looking for a plinking round that is fairly accurate but How hard do you push these little buggers?

The problem with not knowing what you are doing is it is really hard to tell when you are done.
Rusty Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:10   #8
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gun View Post
Based on your post and as a part of my continuing education in the reloading arts, I just ordered 250 180 gr FP blue bullets for .40 S&w.
What powder and charge would be a suitable match with these? I read some where that "lead" bullets need to be loaded to generate pressures below 21,000 in the .40, would that apply here also? I am looking for a plinking round that is fairly accurate but How hard do you push these little buggers?
Not sure where you herd that but you can run full power 40s with a lead or coated bullet, the alloy just has to be up to it. Even starting loads with most powders are over 20k psi. Hopefully they are sized 0.401 like a lead bullet. IMO, you get better results than smaller 0.400.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-26-2015 at 09:14..
Old 03-27-2015, 17:22   #9
Absent Minded

I use Black and Blue Bullets Int'l, is that what you're referencing?
So many people make them, if it's Hi-Tek coating, you should be A-OK.
I shoot 3.9gr TG over a 180gr .401 diameter and have no evidence of fouling, coating coming off, etc. It feels like a pretty hot load, and it sure as **** makes the steel plate BOUNCE.
I like 'em.
Absent Minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 17:50   #10
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent Minded View Post
I use Black and Blue Bullets Int'l, is that what you're referencing?
So many people make them, if it's Hi-Tek coating, you should be A-OK.
I shoot 3.9gr TG over a 180gr .401 diameter and have no evidence of fouling, coating coming off, etc. It feels like a pretty hot load, and it sure as **** makes the steel plate BOUNCE.
I like 'em.
You are probably running about 875fps or so. Not full power but not bunnyfart either.
Old 03-27-2015, 20:09   #11
Absent Minded

hmmmm cool, good to know.
no chrono nor do I know anyone with one.
Absent Minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 21:18   #12
CarryTexas

Anyone tried powder coating their cast bullets?
CarryTexas is offline   Reply With Quote