Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:07   #1
d123gaw

CCI 500 hard primer lot?

I've run into a box of what I think is hard primers. About 1/20 will not fire and primers look barely dimpled.

Anybody else see this recently?
d123gaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:53   #2
F106 Fan

If I saw a 'barely dimpled' primer, I wouldn't be looking at the primer as the issue. At least not initially...

I might first think that the primer wasn't fully seated. Once I discounted that, I would be looking at the firing pin, channel, and firing pin spring. Then I might start looking at whether the gun was fully into battery (primer strike off-center).

I just can't imagine the metallurgy varying from one primer to another in the same lot. What do the good primer strikes look like?

Richard
Old 10-04-2014, 12:00   #3
WeeWilly

I agree with Richard, start looking at the gun first.

CCI are hard compared to other brands like Federal and Winchester, but any normal gun should ignite them without fail.

Tell us about your gun. Make/Model, striker/hammer spring stock or light, cycles on your springs, cycles on the gun since last detail strip and cleaning, etc.
Old 10-04-2014, 19:29   #4
d123gaw

G23 with a 5lb striker spring. It's weak but I've gone through prolly 2k other CCI500 without issue. Factory spring will light these primers so I can't complain too much.

Other factory ammo strikes look like normal with the vertical rectangle spot. These barely show the rectangular shape. (5lb spring)

primers are right at flush with the case. Other WSP primers will set below flush so I think the equipment is ok.

detailed and really cleaned the pin channel, pin, spring, and cups this seemed to help but not cure.
Old 10-04-2014, 19:47   #5
fredj338

Springs wear out, if you are running light, then you may want to change it. If the misfires go on the 2nd try, it's your relading technique.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 19:57   #6
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by d123gaw View Post
primers are right at flush with the case. Other WSP primers will set below flush so I think the equipment is ok.
"Right at flush" doesn't seem right to me. The primers should always be a little inset. If you have a pair of calipers, measure the depth of the primer pocket and the thickness of a primer.

Load up a representative sample lot and then look at the primers and how deep they are seated. Are they all the same? Are they below the base? Or are some just a little higher?

The answer is 'primer seating depth' so now it just comes down to finding out why.

Richard
Old 10-04-2014, 23:57   #7
WeeWilly

I agree that the primer being "flush" doesn't sound right. Properly seated primers should end up slightly below flush. Partially seated primers are probably the most frequent cause of failure to fire.

Another question I have is the striker spring. 5lb is below stock (5.5lb). While 2k would be considered young for a factory striker spring, aftermarket springs can be less reliable life wise. I think I would drop back to a new factory weight (5.5lb) spring and see how that goes.

Finally, a primer that has fired will look different than one that has not fired but been struck. When the round fires, it presses the round into the striker and makes the indention more pronounced, that is one reason a misfire always looks like a light strike compared to the same primer struck in the same gun, that did fire.

Anyway, you have a few things to ponder.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:52   #8
F106 Fan

In all of this, I forgot to mention a very common test for a high primer: Try to fire the round again. If it fires, it very probably was a high primer.

The thought is that the energy from the firing pin is wasted moving the primer deeper in the pocket on the first strike. A subsequent strike will often cause the primer to function.

Richard
Old 10-05-2014, 08:15   #9
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
In all of this, I forgot to mention a very common test for a high primer: Try to fire the round again. If it fires, it very probably was a high primer.

The thought is that the energy from the firing pin is wasted moving the primer deeper in the pocket on the first strike. A subsequent strike will often cause the primer to function.

Richard
I Did mention that, easy test for primer or technique.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:27   #10
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I Did mention that, easy test for primer or technique.
Doh...

I skipped right over your earlier post. I probably should have slept in a little longer!

Richard
Old 10-05-2014, 19:20   #11
elkhart

I had a similar problem with 500's and my PPK/s last week. I've used them before, no problems. A group of ten rounds I loaded to test and none would fire. Small dimple, even after two or three strikes. No problems with winchester on a different test group, dimples were normal.
elkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 20:22   #12
d123gaw

high primers might be IT.

I was able to re-set the primers by really shoving the handle and the primers set below flush. So far no misfires.

Hope this is the cure. I really like the light striker spring.

(I feel silly now since I've seen the high primer resolution more than once on here.)

Thanks to all!