Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-01-2008, 20:54   #1
Romadoc

Do I need ZA or AVG?

I just received a birthday gift of a MSI Wind Notebook which uses Windows XP.
My main computer is an Apple IMAC which I have been using for more than a year (my old Dell crashed). Therefore, I have forgotten most of necessaries for using IE and Windows. At home, I am behind a router and have a WIFI setup...courtesy of my son-in-law. Do I need to install AVG or ZA or perhaps someother means of protection? This would be for those times when I am using it when travelling. Suggestions are appreciated.
Kimber Gold Match 45, S & W 41
FN Police 18", 12 gauge, 7+1

Last edited by Romadoc; 08-01-2008 at 20:56..
Romadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 21:59   #2
denfoote
MENACE

Yer gonna need sumpt'in!!!

I use Avast AV.
http://www.avast.com/

Also, PC tools firewall. It's less of a footprint than ZA and works better IMHO.
http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Also set your hard firewall (router) to the highest setting, usually called "stealth mode" or something similar.

Make damnsure you have good encryption for your WI-FI!!!

Personally, I prefer good old fashioned hard wire!!

Read: ditch the Wi-Fi!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!
denfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:21   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

you should have some form of antivirus, Avast would be my choice.. Make sure your wifi network has a couple basic security settings...

1. Disable ESSID broadcast
2. Highest security setting possible(WPA2 is best, avoid WEP if you can)

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 14:31   #4
WooleyBooger
OD G19

I have always liked the free version of AVG. It works great for me, and has performed in the top 3 in every AV test i have seen in recent years.

I do not run a software firewall at home, although i do have my router setup as securely as possible. When i go on trips or somewhere that i will not be behind my router, i usually run Zonealarm.
WooleyBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 17:45   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooleyBooger View Post
I have always liked the free version of AVG. It works great for me, and has performed in the top 3 in every AV test i have seen in recent years.

I do not run a software firewall at home, although i do have my router setup as securely as possible. When i go on trips or somewhere that i will not be behind my router, i usually run Zonealarm.
Im with you on that one, I hate software firewalls, always have. If you're behind a properly configured router, no need for a software firewall.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:03   #6
Romadoc

Is it possible (advisable) to run AVG together with AVAST!? I have already downloaded AVAST! and, if I recall, it is bad practice to run more than one. On my old Dell, I had them both together with SpyBot.
Kimber Gold Match 45, S & W 41
FN Police 18", 12 gauge, 7+1
Romadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:30   #7
Washington,D.C.

Don't run Avast and AVG together. Choose one. The newest version of AVG seems best but Avast is a good one. Zone Alarm is one of the better firewalls. Another good one is Webroot firewall.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:22   #8
WooleyBooger
OD G19

Yeah...two AV clients won't play well together. Stick with one...i've always liked AVG better than Avast...but either will be better than none.
WooleyBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:32   #9
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooleyBooger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Im with you on that one, I hate software firewalls, always have. If you're behind a properly configured router, no need for a software firewall.IGF
A router does not necessarily prevent outbound data and a router does not alert you to potentially harmful events like a software firewall. Software firewalls can add a second layer of protection, not so much from those that are trying to get in but those trying to access the Internet. Your AntiVirus software may detect a trojan or worm BUT what if it misses it? Thatís where the software firewall comes in Ö it will alert you to attempts by your computer to communicate with the outside world, as well as notify you of things inbound that the router does not block.

Hardware and software firewalls each have their own advantages, itís better to have both!

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote