Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2009, 18:33   #1
4570Lever

ACTUAL MD turnaround time on purchase check

I have a friend in MD who's just put a deposit down on a new pistol.

When I lived in MD years ago, it was BG check plus 5 days and even if the check came back early, the dealer had to hold it 5 business days.

I've come to understand the current backlog is 10 business days.

My friend is now in his 3rd week, 12 days and counting.

What the heck is going on there? If only 5 days are required, why don't they just run the IBC and hold it, or let the gun store handle it?

Or is that part of the scam? The storm troopers don't want anyone having a pistol, period, so they just drag their butts and get to it when they feel like it?

What is the current experience here in various parts of the state?

When I lived there, it was AA county, and for that jurisdiction it was handled by county police.

Where my buddy lives, he's in Centerville and bought at a shop in Easton and it is probably going thru the State Police. Do they send this stuff up to Pikesville and mail it or try to handle it at a local barracks with limited staff?

Anyone here that can relate the real deal? Thanks for any info.

And, life is much better here in VA, after 20 years in MD. I'm in and out of a store with a Bushmaster M4 with 30 rounders if I want, in 15 minutes.

Last edited by 4570Lever; 07-08-2009 at 18:36..
4570Lever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 00:35   #2
Isaiah1412

Waiting period is 7 business days in MD for any handgun or assault rifle. Check typically only takes 2-3 unless there is something in NICS that comes back with a delay and requires further followup. Still have to hold for a full 7 days though.
Isaiah1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:03   #3
4570Lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah1412 View Post
Waiting period is 7 business days in MD for any handgun or assault rifle. Check typically only takes 2-3 unless there is something in NICS that comes back with a delay and requires further followup. Still have to hold for a full 7 days though.
That wasn't the question. I want to know what people have ACTUALLY been experiencing under current conditions, not what the rules are. It's supposed to be much longer. My friend is presumed clean.
4570Lever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 18:09   #4
fearnutsnotguns
Chem Major

Purchased at the Timmonium show on 6-30.
After the 7 day wait (BG check in Pikesville SP) released to me on 7-8

Saturday till Tuesday the following week 10 days.

How is 12 days part of three weeks?

It's likely he will be issued when paperwork arrives Tuesday this week. Just a guess. I was told by the clerk at the store where I purchased that many of the staffers are on vacation and the paperwork is running 8-10 days on average. Of course that was the begining of July.

Good luck to you and your friend.

fearnuts...
Old 08-07-2009, 10:54   #5
Grey_Mana

I'm afraid to just pay the deposit. The law allows, if the background check doesn't go through, for the seller to keep your deposit. Since a lot of the check depends on the salesperson correctly writing information on forms, it seems like too great of a temptation, to trust that they won't screw if when they can.

I've never heard of anything bad like that actually happening.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:10   #6
MdMike

Another part is how fast the paperwork is carried to MSP by the dealer (so I've been told) A reputable dealer makes a visit to MSP once at least week to drop and pick up paperwork.

I bought two pistols in the last few months. Both times I was told to come back in 10 days. I did so and picked up my purchases. They were ready both times.
MdMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:49   #7
imdatdude2010

waiting

I paid for the background check and I paid for my Glock 17 on 8-29-2009 and Im still waiting.
imdatdude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 15:57   #8
byf43
NRA Life Member

I've been buying handguns in Maryland for many, many years.

Yes, the law states 7 days for a waiting period.
I've had to wait longer. . . twice.
The first wait was when I won my G21 at a GSSF Match. (1994.)
The dealer said that MSP (Maryland State Police) was 'holding - for further investigation'.
O.K. I called Pikesville, where the registration/background check is done.
I inquired as to WHY it was taking longer than 7 days.
I was told, "they needed to investigate further."

"Baloney! Investigate WHAT? I am (was) an instructor for the state, certified through MSP (and gave him my ID number). WHAT further investigation???"

I was told that this 'need to investigate further' is a catch-all, for when they need more time.

I argued the point that the law states that they have 7 days, and that IF the paperwork goes 30 days, then, the dealer can give me the firearm, and, IF the delay goes 45 days (without a 'denial'), then the dealer must give me the firearm.
(Many won't give up the firearm without 'approval'. They are afraid of MSP.)

I was then told that my paperwork has been 'approved' (actual terminology is "Not Disapproved").
By the time I drove back to the dealer, the paperwork had been faxed back to him.

The second time was when I purchased (auction) a mdl 60 Ladysmith at a Friends of the NRA Banquet. (1997.)
MSP held up the paperwork for 43 days. The dealer gave me the revolver on the 45th day. (The paperwork came in the next day.)

The ultimate bottom line. . . . .
MSP is historically NOT firearm friendly to civilians.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 09-13-2009 at 18:29..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 19:37   #9
VIPRETR2

I bought a Glock 17 on Friday Aug. 28th and my brother bought a Ruger SR9 on Saturday Aug. 29th, paperwork filled out the same respective days. We were both able to pick up on Sept. 8th. I had assumed it would have taken only seven days for both if not for the bad timing of the purchase (late Friday and Saturday) and the Labor Day holiday Sept. 7th. This was a first time gun purchase for both of us.

Last edited by VIPRETR2; 09-15-2009 at 09:00..
VIPRETR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 18:05   #10
redduck21502

Send a message via Yahoo to redduck21502

Tell your friend to find a new dealer next time.

The law says that if the dealer has not heard from them it can be released after 7 days. The 7 days is a limitation on the MSP to get the background check done. If they do not find anything or they screw around and do not disapprove him, the dealer should release the gun. Too many dealers act like they cannot do it without the proper Not Disapproved form, it's BS. I had a dealer do that to me a few years back and I waited like 14 days because the MSP "was behind". Not my problem. My new dealer gives it to me when allowed by law, that's all the MSP can ask for? If the dealer would just call the MSP, they would give him a number or something to write on the form and he could complete the transaction. I honestly think they don't give a crap at the MSP how long you wait so they don't worry about it until someone calls. That or they don't even do a check sometimes and just hurry up and stamp it and give the dealer the authorization number on the phone.

There are too many dealers willing to follow the letter of the law to give money to one that waits more than 7 days. We already have to jump through hoops in MD, no sense in giving them more days than necessary. The liberals just love to see us wait longer, don't give them the satisfaction.
Kalashinkov Club, Military Surplus Forum #1973, Sub Club, Sig Club #65, Black Rifle Club #1991
Alex Jones' Prison Planet
redduck21502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 18:33   #11
aliasneo07

There are dealers like the The Armory in annapolis that follow the law to the letter, which is great. I think the law says the MSP has 7 days, not including the day you buy the firearm (might have the day count wrong, but not more than eight) to "Not Disapprove" you. If you do not receive a response from the MSP within that time then you are free to release the firearm to the customer. The Armory does this. Most shops do not. Most shops will hold the gun until they recieve the "Not Disapproved" or "Disapproved" letter. They don't want to piss off the MSP.

MD sucks.

Just for the record I have purchased 5 regulated firearms and my paperwork was always back when I came back on the 8th day.
aliasneo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 19:50   #12
zebramochaman

I guess I have just been lucky. There was only one time I had to wait two weeks. I used a new FFL that would not release the gun before he received the paperwork.
zebramochaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:40   #13
VIPRETR2

I just did the paperwork for a FTF transfer at an MSP barracks yesterday. The trooper told us we can complete the transfer in seven days regardless of whether we have the paperwork back or not. I know this doesn't help with dealers, just FYI for anyone doing a FTF.
VIPRETR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 13:47   #14
Flipz

State law is 7 days, but it usually takes 10 days.
GSSF Member
Hornady LnL AP, 9mm & 45ACP
Flipz is offline   Reply With Quote