Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:38   #1
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Bjj

My neighbor has started BJJ at the beginning of June, and yesterday my son and I went for an introductory visit.

I think I'm gonna like this, and my son loved it.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:18   #2
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
Don't stop. I stopped several years ago and keep meaning to back, but can't find the time. (i.e. I have grown lazy) But yeah, it should be a blast.

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 18:44   #3
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Well, after our 3rd class, all I can say is I wish we would have done this sooner! I always thought that, as a 40 y/o, it was too late to start. I'm not in quite the shape as the 20 somethings, but they have discovered I ain't a pushover, either.

As a side bonus, it is some great cardio.
Old 07-24-2008, 20:33   #4
Deputydave

I'm glad you and your son are enjoying this activity together, that is very important. I just started teaching my son Taekido Karate last month and it is great father and son time.

Stay safe and enjoy the time spent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 22:33   #5
ArodJohns

BJJ is freaking awesome.

If you're looking for gi's check out Kikskin. They're expensive, but good God they're comfortable.

If you're in to No-Gi, don't waste your time with Under-Armor. Go ahead and spend some decent cash on a real rash guard.

Also, you may want to stock up on Lamisil. The employee's at my gym seem to forget to wash the mats about once a week.

Aside from that, have fun. We all started somewhere, if you stick with it and put some effort in to it, it's only a matter of time before you start tapping people as much as you're getting tapped.

Last thing, figure on spending 5 years at each belt level. Don't get your hopes up if you're instructor's Brazilian though. I've been at it for 3 years of doing this stuff 6 days a week and tapping 2/3rds of the people at the gym and I'm still at white.
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 23:25   #6
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

I enjoy the father/son time....it seems as if there is less and less as he gets older.

We wipe down the mats at the end of each session, and I was kinda relieved about that.

As far as belt color goes, that isn't very important to me. I want to earn the belt, not have it given to me.

I'll check into the Kikskin. There are a few at my gym that wear them.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:10   #7
ArodJohns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntmedik View Post
I enjoy the father/son time....it seems as if there is less and less as he gets older.

We wipe down the mats at the end of each session, and I was kinda relieved about that.

As far as belt color goes, that isn't very important to me. I want to earn the belt, not have it given to me.

I'll check into the Kikskin. There are a few at my gym that wear them.
Aye, that was my point about belt color. It seems like quite a few disciplines just hand them out to people for showing up twice a week.

You'll spend some coin on a top of the line gi, but like anything else you generally get what you pay for. I've also got a Lutador Americano gi that I really like. Also, don't be afraid to mix and match with colors, but some people get pissy if you wear a black one.
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 18:45   #8
ny rifleman

I roll with a few guy's once or twice a week. Nothing formal no belts , but we have a good time. Keep going and stay safe, tap early in training no need to dislocate something. Just train harder so you don't get caught next time.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:30   #9
FifthFreedom

Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
You'll get a great work out and BJJ is very functional. I would , if you are going Gi, go with Atama or a Gameness gi. Kikskin are known to shrink like crazy. Atama will last a long long time and is well worth the money.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 21:42   #10
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Well, we're into our 2nd month, and still lovin it! I am sporting some schweet bruises, and mat burn on the tops of my feet, but dayum it is fun.

We went ahead and went with the gi our school buys. Not even sure what brand it is. If we stick with it, we'll get a better one.
Old 08-12-2008, 00:13   #11
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
Who is the instructor?

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:28   #12
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Scott Smith. He trained under Pedro Sauer.
Old 08-12-2008, 18:33   #13
FifthFreedom

Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
Glad you still like it. It is fun although it can be frustrating at times.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 19:46   #14
searcher66083

Sounds like you are having fun. It is a great time. I have my 6th Dan in Chito-ryu Karate, and a few other Dan ranks in other styles. My father started trainingem whenI was a child and then I broke away to learn other things. My time with him learning is something I would not trade for any amount of money. Keep at it and enjoy every second. My wife is also a BB(4th Dan) and she enjoys it as well.
Tactical Shotgun Club #19,
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
searcher66083 is offline   Reply With Quote