Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:49   #1
UTKEngineer

Any one cold brew their coffee?

Ok, it's been 100 degrees way too often and way too long down here in Texas. With the heat I've been trying to make iced coffee by brewing it hot and icing it down, but my results have been hit or miss (mostly miss). I'm brewing it double strength, but it still ends up tasting horrible.

SO, I was wondering if anyone here cold brews their coffee? If so, how do you do it? I've read a few different "how to's" on the web, but they're all over the place.

I want something easy. Preferably something I can do each night when I make my lunch for the next day or something I can do Sunday night and then add to cold water/milk the rest of the week. Any suggestions? Thanks!
UTKEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:43   #2
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTKEngineer View Post
Ok, it's been 100 degrees way too often and way too long down here in Texas. With the heat I've been trying to make iced coffee by brewing it hot and icing it down, but my results have been hit or miss (mostly miss). I'm brewing it double strength, but it still ends up tasting horrible.

SO, I was wondering if anyone here cold brews their coffee? If so, how do you do it? I've read a few different "how to's" on the web, but they're all over the place.

I want something easy. Preferably something I can do each night when I make my lunch for the next day or something I can do Sunday night and then add to cold water/milk the rest of the week. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Not I. I just do what you have tried; brew it hot, let it cool then refrigerate. But I don't add ice or sugar, just a dash of skim milk. Takes less than 60 seconds to slug down my morning 3-4 cuppa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:49   #3
UTKEngineer

GM,

After I got no takers here, I started experimenting. I put 4 parts water to 1 part coffee ground (by volume) and let it steep in the fridge 12 - 24 hrs, then strain it and put it back in the fridge.

Then I just pour it in a cup in the morning and head out the door. It actually takes me less time in the morning and the flavor is a LOT better. Just an FYI
Old 08-20-2008, 21:57   #4
MrsKitty

Occasionally, I make a pot of superstrong in the drip coffeemaker. I let it cool then add to milk, sugar and/or vanilla ice cream. I'm missing something...but it's better than the iced coffees and frappachinos are at $2-6 each!

I normally use a french press but when I am doing this, I use the drip because it makes over double what the press holds.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:26   #5
UTKEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty5077 View Post
I'm missing something...but it's better than the iced coffees and frappachinos are at $2-6 each!

Have you tried adding cinnamon?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:53   #6
MrsKitty

Quote:
Have you tried adding cinnamon?
Not yet. No idea why because I have put it on top of my foamed milk for years.

I will be in the kitchen with with my iced coffee going thru the spices if anybody misses me.
Old 08-23-2008, 16:56   #7
elenaidan

Quote:

Howdy, I don't know if you ever drink iced latte's or not , but my wife and I went through a similar progression. We eventually ended with "Ferrara" instant espresso coffee. Just a heavy tablespoon of sugar and this product in cold water then mixed with 4 oz. cold milk. One jar runs about $4.00 and makes 8-12 drinks depending on your taste. This particular product is used by a friend who is a professional pastry chef for come of her concoctions. Good luck!