Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:51   #1
glockdoc21

Question about army docs

I'm about to graduate medical school in May and I'm thinking of joining the reserve during residency. My main question is: would I get to do anything except work in the hospital? I like the outdoors and obviously firearms. Is there additional training that one can volunteer for (like jump school for instance) that does not directly involve one's job? Sorry for my total ignorance on this subject. Thanks,
Old 08-13-2008, 18:11   #2
AF-Odin

Lots of opportunity to do stuff. Part depends on your specialty. Not much need for an OB/Gyn or peds Doc as a "Surgeon" with an Infantry BDE, but Emergency Med, Surgery, or even Internal medicine will probably land you on the short list to a hospital in Iraq. Even the Family Practice docs used to routinely deploy to NTC--had an acquaintance that was assigned as the Hospital Commander at Bragg and the then XVIII Corps Commander insisted that he go to jump school before reporting---45 year old full colonel doc in jump school!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 19:40   #3
deadday

There are lots of opportunities to leave the country and rough it with the grunts...BAMC is constantly sending teams to down to various South American countries to set up shop for a couple months...Also sending teams to African countries a lot lately as well....Then of course there's the deployments to Iraq and Asscrakistan...

drew
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 20:27   #4
glockdoc21

I'm doing emergency medicine. I feel like I've tested my mind long enough. I'm ready to test my body some.
Old 08-13-2008, 20:58   #5
deadday

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockdoc21 View Post
I'm doing emergency medicine. I feel like I've tested my mind long enough. I'm ready to test my body some.
Well, in that case, there's always SFAS

drew
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 18:56   #6
AF-Odin

Ever thought of doing your residency with the Army? Ft Hood has a nationally recognized ER residency program.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:19   #7
chuckman

EM in the Army Reserve? Pack your sunscreen...