Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 20:25   #1
California Jack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,171
Turbo's DL

Hey TR, in the other thread you say that your DL is not improving. SOrry to hear that. Are you pulling sumo or conventional?

Seems to me, and I'm no expert, that with your leg strength improving as rapidly as it is, perhaps you'd benefit from the sumo style.

Just a thought, especially since I don't know how you feel about sumo.
California Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 20:29   #2
TurboRocket
Senior Member
 
TurboRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South of Utopia
Posts: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Jack View Post
Hey TR, in the other thread you say that your DL is not improving. SOrry to hear that. Are you pulling sumo or conventional?

Seems to me, and I'm no expert, that with your leg strength improving as rapidly as it is, perhaps you'd benefit from the sumo style.

Just a thought, especially since I don't know how you feel about sumo.
Too late. Already posted in the other thread.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 20:33   #3
California Jack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,171
Yeah, sorry. Like I said, I'm no expert. I think that sumo fits some people better, based on body proportions, leverages and strengths. I think sumo is more dependent on leg strength than conventional and you may be able to pull more that way.

However, if you are trying to get to Rip's advanced category, perhaps it is setup for conventional only, I don't know.

I'm just talkin'.
California Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 20:37   #4
TurboRocket
Senior Member
 
TurboRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South of Utopia
Posts: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Jack View Post
Yeah, sorry. Like I said, I'm no expert. I think that sumo fits some people better, based on body proportions, leverages and strengths. I think sumo is more dependent on leg strength than conventional and you may be able to pull more that way.

However, if you are trying to get to Rip's advanced category, perhaps it is setup for conventional only, I don't know.

I'm just talkin'.
Yeah, to stay true, I will need to advance on conventional DLs. However, I may give sumos a whirl and see if that breaks my plateau.

I might back off the weight and run at it again with another linear progression of 3x3s.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 20:43   #5
DBradD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 6,548
Years ago, I was about to break 400 conventional at 165 and switched to sumo about 2 weeks before a contest and pulled 440 pretty easily. About a year later, I pulled 495x4 in the gym and got 500 in the meet at 181.

It sure does fit some people better. I have a long torso and short legs. Medium-length arms.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DBradD; 08-18-2008 at 20:46..
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 21:06   #6
California Jack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,171
I'm the same as you Brad. At 6'2" I probably have the leg length of a 5'-10" man. I have a 32" inseam. I think that should make me a sumo puller and a natural squatter, but I pull far better with conventional. And I DL far better than I squat.
California Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:29   #7
BCR
BIGASS!!!!
 
BCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Jack View Post
I'm the same as you Brad. At 6'2" I probably have the leg length of a 5'-10" man. I have a 32" inseam. I think that should make me a sumo puller and a natural squatter, but I pull far better with conventional. And I DL far better than I squat.
LOL! I'm 6' and have a 34" inseam. I actually wear 36" inseam jeans.

I pull better sumo. And can't squat for beans.

I remember back when I first tried deadlifts. In about a month I worked up to a conventional 385 max single. Then my buddy suggested sumo, and a week later I pulled 405.

So I've been doing sumo ever since, with a few conventionals thrown in here and there. Sumo feels very natural for me.

But I should probably give conventional a try again. Just to see.
__________________
Without progression, I am nothing.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
BCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:30   #8
BCR
BIGASS!!!!
 
BCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradD View Post
Years ago, I was about to break 400 conventional at 165 and switched to sumo about 2 weeks before a contest and pulled 440 pretty easily. About a year later, I pulled 495x4 in the gym and got 500 in the meet at 181.

It sure does fit some people better. I have a long torso and short legs. Medium-length arms.

Great numbers Brad.
__________________
Without progression, I am nothing.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
BCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:33   #9
DBradD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 6,548
Thanks. That was a long time ago in another galaxy, far far away. I'm pathetically weak nowadays, but I'm doing my best to change that.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:34   #10
DBradD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 6,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Jack View Post
I'm the same as you Brad. At 6'2" I probably have the leg length of a 5'-10" man. I have a 32" inseam. I think that should make me a sumo puller and a natural squatter, but I pull far better with conventional. And I DL far better than I squat.
LOL, not sure what to make of that.

I'm 5'-8" and have about a 28-29" inseam. I get 29" or 30" pants and they drag the ground.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:29   #11
BCR
BIGASS!!!!
 
BCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradD View Post
LOL, not sure what to make of that.
So Jack is shaped like Magilla Gorilla!

COOL!

I'm shaped like...........a woman. Damn.
__________________
Without progression, I am nothing.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
BCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:41   #12
searcher66083
Senior Member
 
searcher66083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 491
I did not read all of the posts but I want to make a comment on the use of a sumo deadlift. If you are going to perform the sumo DL you are going to need to perform some adductor exercises. If you do not you are going to eventually get a hernia. Trust me, I know this from experience. Sumo is a great way of DLing if you have longer arms than inseam length. If you do not, it is not an advantage.
__________________
Tactical Shotgun Club #19,
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
searcher66083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:52   #13
DBradD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 6,548
That's interesting. I never would've linked adductors to hernias, but I don't know that you're NOT right--perhaps you are. I know one thing from experience: lack of adductor flexibility and strength will cause the knees to come in and result in an achy inside of knee in a real hurry.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 13:30   #14
searcher66083
Senior Member
 
searcher66083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 491
Most people miss the link. The adductors allow the pelvic floor to become stronger and thus prevent to intra-abdominal pressure from becoming so high that it forces a hernia. This is exactyl what the surgeon said happens to most weightlifters that end up with hernias. I wish I would have learned it long before my happened.
__________________
Tactical Shotgun Club #19,
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
searcher66083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 14:54   #15
DBradD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 6,548
Hmmm, I think I might have a hernia, but I wasn't doing sumo DLs at the time. I was doing fairly wide stance squats, though.

What did you do about your hernia? Rippetoe swears by the mesh surgeries and says that he was strong a month after his.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 15:03   #16
TurboRocket
Senior Member
 
TurboRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South of Utopia
Posts: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher66083 View Post
... Sumo is a great way of DLing if you have longer arms than inseam length...
OK, a little help. How do I measure arm length? My wingspan is 68". Is my arm length half of that? 34"? I'm 5'7" with an inseam of 30".

I probably wouldn't do sumo DLs as a staple... probably try it just to see if it will push me past my plateau. I'm sort of stuck at 385#. My squat is quickly catching up.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 20:22   #17
searcher66083
Senior Member
 
searcher66083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradD View Post

What did you do about your hernia? Rippetoe swears by the mesh surgeries and says that he was strong a month after his.
Mesh is the only way to go. It has a long history of lasting after being performed. Understand, you WILL be laid up with a 10lbs weight restriction for 5-7 wks. I strongly urge you to not try anything inside that. If you do, it will tear the mesh loose andyou will be back at square one.


BTW-mesh tearing is the most painfull thing you will ever feel. IMO.
__________________
Tactical Shotgun Club #19,
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
searcher66083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 20:26   #18
searcher66083
Senior Member
 
searcher66083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRocket View Post
OK, a little help. How do I measure arm length? My wingspan is 68". Is my arm length half of that? 34"? I'm 5'7" with an inseam of 30".

I probably wouldn't do sumo DLs as a staple... probably try it just to see if it will push me past my plateau. I'm sort of stuck at 385#. My squat is quickly catching up.
What is your sleeve length? I am thinking that your arms are not going to be long enough to warrant going to a sumo DL.


Do you have a video of yourself DLing? I would like to see it and give it a good assessment. This may shed somelight on why you are not going up on it. I can't take a written description and make any corrections. Unless you want to fly to KS and let me help you.
__________________
Tactical Shotgun Club #19,
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
searcher66083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 20:33   #19
TurboRocket
Senior Member
 
TurboRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South of Utopia
Posts: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher66083 View Post
What is your sleeve length? I am thinking that your arms are not going to be long enough to warrant going to a sumo DL.


Do you have a video of yourself DLing? I would like to see it and give it a good assessment. This may shed somelight on why you are not going up on it. I can't take a written description and make any corrections. Unless you want to fly to KS and let me help you.
OK, I'm a maroon! Shirt size is 17 32/33.

No video, but thanks for the offer to help. I really appreciate it.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:58   #20
searcher66083
Senior Member
 
searcher66083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 491
I think you should stick to a standard DL. My inseam is 36" and my sleeve length is 43". That is why I do sumo. Try to get a video.
__________________
Tactical Shotgun Club #19,
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
searcher66083 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:00.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,233
343 Members
890 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31