Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-18-2008, 20:25   #1
California Jack

Turbo's DL

Hey TR, in the other thread you say that your DL is not improving. SOrry to hear that. Are you pulling sumo or conventional?

Seems to me, and I'm no expert, that with your leg strength improving as rapidly as it is, perhaps you'd benefit from the sumo style.

Just a thought, especially since I don't know how you feel about sumo.
California Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 20:29   #2
TurboRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Jack View Post
Hey TR, in the other thread you say that your DL is not improving. SOrry to hear that. Are you pulling sumo or conventional?

Seems to me, and I'm no expert, that with your leg strength improving as rapidly as it is, perhaps you'd benefit from the sumo style.

Just a thought, especially since I don't know how you feel about sumo.
Too late. Already posted in the other thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 20:33   #3
California Jack

Yeah, sorry. Like I said, I'm no expert. I think that sumo fits some people better, based on body proportions, leverages and strengths. I think sumo is more dependent on leg strength than conventional and you may be able to pull more that way.

However, if you are trying to get to Rip's advanced category, perhaps it is setup for conventional only, I don't know.

I'm just talkin'.
Old 08-18-2008, 20:37   #4
TurboRocket

Quote:
Yeah, sorry. Like I said, I'm no expert. I think that sumo fits some people better, based on body proportions, leverages and strengths. I think sumo is more dependent on leg strength than conventional and you may be able to pull more that way.

However, if you are trying to get to Rip's advanced category, perhaps it is setup for conventional only, I don't know.

I'm just talkin'.
Yeah, to stay true, I will need to advance on conventional DLs. However, I may give sumos a whirl and see if that breaks my plateau.

I might back off the weight and run at it again with another linear progression of 3x3s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GT S&C - We know squat.
Old 08-18-2008, 20:43   #5
DBradD

Years ago, I was about to break 400 conventional at 165 and switched to sumo about 2 weeks before a contest and pulled 440 pretty easily. About a year later, I pulled 495x4 in the gym and got 500 in the meet at 181.

It sure does fit some people better. I have a long torso and short legs. Medium-length arms.

Last edited by DBradD; 08-18-2008 at 20:46..
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 21:06   #6
California Jack

I'm the same as you Brad. At 6'2" I probably have the leg length of a 5'-10" man. I have a 32" inseam. I think that should make me a sumo puller and a natural squatter, but I pull far better with conventional. And I DL far better than I squat.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:29   #7
BCR
BIGASS!!!!

Quote:
I'm the same as you Brad. At 6'2" I probably have the leg length of a 5'-10" man. I have a 32" inseam. I think that should make me a sumo puller and a natural squatter, but I pull far better with conventional. And I DL far better than I squat.
LOL! I'm 6' and have a 34" inseam. I actually wear 36" inseam jeans.

I pull better sumo. And can't squat for beans.

I remember back when I first tried deadlifts. In about a month I worked up to a conventional 385 max single. Then my buddy suggested sumo, and a week later I pulled 405.

So I've been doing sumo ever since, with a few conventionals thrown in here and there. Sumo feels very natural for me.

But I should probably give conventional a try again. Just to see.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
BCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:30   #8
BCR
BIGASS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradD View Post
Years ago, I was about to break 400 conventional at 165 and switched to sumo about 2 weeks before a contest and pulled 440 pretty easily. About a year later, I pulled 495x4 in the gym and got 500 in the meet at 181.

It sure does fit some people better. I have a long torso and short legs. Medium-length arms.

Great numbers Brad.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:33   #9
DBradD

Thanks. That was a long time ago in another galaxy, far far away. I'm pathetically weak nowadays, but I'm doing my best to change that.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:34   #10
DBradD

Quote:
LOL, not sure what to make of that.

I'm 5'-8" and have about a 28-29" inseam. I get 29" or 30" pants and they drag the ground.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:29   #11
BCR
BIGASS!!!!

Quote:
LOL, not sure what to make of that.
So Jack is shaped like Magilla Gorilla!

COOL!

I'm shaped like...........a woman. Damn.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:41   #12
searcher66083

I did not read all of the posts but I want to make a comment on the use of a sumo deadlift. If you are going to perform the sumo DL you are going to need to perform some adductor exercises. If you do not you are going to eventually get a hernia. Trust me, I know this from experience. Sumo is a great way of DLing if you have longer arms than inseam length. If you do not, it is not an advantage.
Tactical Shotgun Club #19,
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
searcher66083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:52   #13
DBradD

That's interesting. I never would've linked adductors to hernias, but I don't know that you're NOT right--perhaps you are. I know one thing from experience: lack of adductor flexibility and strength will cause the knees to come in and result in an achy inside of knee in a real hurry.

Old 08-19-2008, 13:30   #14
searcher66083

Most people miss the link. The adductors allow the pelvic floor to become stronger and thus prevent to intra-abdominal pressure from becoming so high that it forces a hernia. This is exactyl what the surgeon said happens to most weightlifters that end up with hernias. I wish I would have learned it long before my happened.
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
Old 08-19-2008, 14:54   #15
DBradD

Hmmm, I think I might have a hernia, but I wasn't doing sumo DLs at the time. I was doing fairly wide stance squats, though.

What did you do about your hernia? Rippetoe swears by the mesh surgeries and says that he was strong a month after his.

Old 08-19-2008, 15:03   #16
TurboRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher66083 View Post
... Sumo is a great way of DLing if you have longer arms than inseam length...
OK, a little help. How do I measure arm length? My wingspan is 68". Is my arm length half of that? 34"? I'm 5'7" with an inseam of 30".

I probably wouldn't do sumo DLs as a staple... probably try it just to see if it will push me past my plateau. I'm sort of stuck at 385#. My squat is quickly catching up.

GT S&C - We know squat.
Old 08-19-2008, 20:22   #17
searcher66083

Quote:

What did you do about your hernia? Rippetoe swears by the mesh surgeries and says that he was strong a month after his.
Mesh is the only way to go. It has a long history of lasting after being performed. Understand, you WILL be laid up with a 10lbs weight restriction for 5-7 wks. I strongly urge you to not try anything inside that. If you do, it will tear the mesh loose andyou will be back at square one.

BTW-mesh tearing is the most painfull thing you will ever feel. IMO.
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
Old 08-19-2008, 20:26   #18
searcher66083

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRocket View Post
OK, a little help. How do I measure arm length? My wingspan is 68". Is my arm length half of that? 34"? I'm 5'7" with an inseam of 30".

I probably wouldn't do sumo DLs as a staple... probably try it just to see if it will push me past my plateau. I'm sort of stuck at 385#. My squat is quickly catching up.
What is your sleeve length? I am thinking that your arms are not going to be long enough to warrant going to a sumo DL.

Do you have a video of yourself DLing? I would like to see it and give it a good assessment. This may shed somelight on why you are not going up on it. I can't take a written description and make any corrections. Unless you want to fly to KS and let me help you.
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
Old 08-19-2008, 20:33   #19
TurboRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher66083 View Post
What is your sleeve length? I am thinking that your arms are not going to be long enough to warrant going to a sumo DL.

Do you have a video of yourself DLing? I would like to see it and give it a good assessment. This may shed somelight on why you are not going up on it. I can't take a written description and make any corrections. Unless you want to fly to KS and let me help you.
OK, I'm a maroon! Shirt size is 17 32/33.

No video, but thanks for the offer to help. I really appreciate it.

GT S&C - We know squat.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:58   #20
searcher66083

I think you should stick to a standard DL. My inseam is 36" and my sleeve length is 43". That is why I do sumo. Try to get a video.
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68