SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-22-2008, 15:12   #1
Jwinter

Send a message via AIM to Jwinter Send a message via Yahoo to Jwinter
Seeking a Honest no BS assessment

Just like the title says. I have talked with the recruiter a few timesand I am strongly considering joining the armed forces and I have come down to two choices, the Navy being one of them. I am seeking input from you (if you have a few moments). I am just seeking your opinion on your branch of service. Would you do it again? Why or why not or would you of joined another branch.
PM your response if you feel so inclined or post here.
Thanks for you time and input
Jwinter
Jwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 16:06   #2
Cross-X
CLM Number 266
Charter Lifetime Member

I was a JAG in the USAF from 1984-1988. It was the time of my life!
Cross-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:31   #3
Jael

What I would suggest, is joining the navy, applying for Hospital Corpsman, and signing a contract to let you go to BUD's, if you don't wanna play doc, go EOD and have a blast.
Jael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:17   #4
freedom790

Personally I can't speak for the Navy being that i am in the AF, but the military offers a lot to an individual as long as they take it. Things like education are a pain in the butt, but the military makes it so inexpensive and sometimes free.

In regards to assignments, that can go either way. You have your good posts and your bad ones, its just a toss of the coin.

If I had to go back to the day I was in the recruiter's office I wouldnt do a thing different. Admitedly, the military has been given me the worst times in my life, its also given me the best, and I've developed friendships that surpass anything I could have comprehended when I was younger.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:56   #5
Jtemple
Geek

I can't make a recommendation of one branch vs. another, having only served in the Navy myself.

Make the choice that fits you the best. What do you want your typical day to be? Mental, physical, both? Do you want to control aircraft or shoot weapon systems? Do you want to be a SEAL or a cook? It's important to do what you enjoy, because you're going to be stuck doing it for a while.

Once you're in, make the most of it. There will be days you hate it, and days that you love it. When you're finished, you will have experienced many things that most people will never experience for themselves. You will have something to be proud of, for the rest if your life.
Jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 00:13   #6
Glolt20-91

I was Navy, but never a fleet sailor. Amphibious assault operations at Coronado and Mobile Riverine Force Mekong Delta bring back a flood of memories that run the gamut of emotions. When you witness what others will do to save a life when all hell breaks loose and leave no one hangin' out; you'll have the strongest of bonds that can never be taken from you.

Years from now you'll understand what the feelings are all about when vets hug each other and welcome each other home.

Bob

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:36   #7
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jael View Post
What I would suggest, is joining the navy, applying for Hospital Corpsman, and signing a contract to let you go to BUD's, if you don't wanna play doc, go EOD and have a blast.
SEALs have their own rating now, corpsmen are no longer going to BUDS. I know Navy and I know Marine Corps. If you want the "oorah" lifestyle, Spartan experience, being "in the field," go Marines or Army. If you like the finer things in life, like running water and warm chow, go AF or Navy. Find out what you want to do, then find the service in which it fits the best. The Navy is great...great duty stations and bases, great training and education. If you are in a rating with a sea-shore rotation, you will be gone a lot, so it can be hard on the family (if you have one). Some ratings never go to sea or out of the US. It depends on what you want.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:27   #8
.40 caliber

I have been in for 5 years now. And after going all over the world, including Iraq, I would not trade it for the world. I have a few regrets but not many. The military is like everything else in life. You get out of it what you put into it.

If you do join, make sure when you get out you have something to show for it. Take advantage of the college education. I hate seeing people do 6+ years and never took advantage of the free education.
PS
As far as branches, each branch has there ups and downs. After trying to get into the Corps, I ended up joining the Army. Like I said, ups and downs. Good luck deciding man.
Old 08-29-2008, 20:23   #9
Jwinter

Send a message via AIM to Jwinter Send a message via Yahoo to Jwinter
I did join last night. Join the Navy as a Corpsman. Wanst my first choice. Found out yesterday I am colorblind, well as far as the military is concerned.
Id say more like color indescriminate. I think i might get my master while im in, not sure though. But looking forward to going, Howerver dont ship out for a while.
Jwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 21:09   #10
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Congrats!

This will change your life in ways you can't image.

Thank you for your servce!!
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:31   #11
Shasta69

We always had Marines, Army, Air Force, and Navy personnel sign up with us.

Never heard of any Coasties jumping ship for the other branches.

N E V E R!

Former Marines were always intent to pounding the crap out of something in the cutter's weight room.

Former Army guys were always stuffing thier face on the messdeck.

Former Air Force always keeping clean and playing with the Airdales in the hanger.

And the former Navy guys? Well, they always quiped they should have joined sooner the Coast Guard sooner.

Much Luck!

Retired Coast Guard Icebreaker Sailor

http://www.gocoastguard.com/

PM me if needed.
Shasta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:30   #12
sig357fan

Jwinter,

My wife and I were both Navy in the '80s, when she got out we used the education benefits to put her through nursing school.

Our oldest son joined the Army 3 years ago.

Our youngest son is seeing the recruiter next month.

I'll tell you what I have told both of my boys, your going to give them 4-6 years of your life, make sure you get something out of it.

Oldest son got training and is getting experience in a job he likes, he also took advantage of the education benefit so he can go onto school if he gets out.

No matter if he decides to stay in his current field or go a completely different direction than his current job training, he has the ability to do so through the education benefits.

If he gets out and continues to work in his current job, military training and OJT in a war zone look really good on a resume.

And the best part, at least from a fathers perspective is the Army taught him something I never could, independence.

sig357fan
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:45   #13
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jael View Post
BUDS? EOD?
BUDS involves combat diving using a closed breathing system, often at night in filthy, cold water.
EOD is literally sitting on top of a buried bomb, trying to diffuse it.
Those jobs aren't for everyone friend-o, especially during wartime!

"Look into" programs. Talk to a Navy career counselor. Once you choose a career field, go and visit a unit where the people in that career field work. Talk frankly to sailors in that field and ask THEM whether they recommend their field. Do you want to fight? Do you want to travel and see the world, or to remain stateside? Do you want the Navy, or the Coast Guard?
Give yourself a couple of months of research time to decide what you want to CONTRACT TO DO 24 hours a day for 3-6 years, quite possibly in harms way/under fire.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:38   #14
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinter View Post
I did join last night. Join the Navy as a Corpsman. Wanst my first choice. Found out yesterday I am colorblind, well as far as the military is concerned.
Id say more like color indescriminate. I think i might get my master while im in, not sure though. But looking forward to going, Howerver dont ship out for a while.
Congratulations! I spent the first several years in the Navy as a corpsman (now an officer in the Navy Reserve). Many nice options...after corps school (your basic corpsman training), you will be assigned as a "quad-zero" (no NEC), likely in a hopital or clinic. Of course, with the war, you very well may be assigned to FMSS, Field Medical Service School, to train as a corpsman for the Marines. This is what I did for 8 years...NONE of my enlisted time was with a Navy unit, all was with the Marines. Please PM me or place a post if you want more information.
ETA: RE: color blind. I failed that test at MEPS, too, but I sure as hell ain't color blind. In your corpsman career, you will end up giving that test many times, and you will have the test memorized. Then, at your 5-year physical, it'll be a modern medical miracle: you will no longer be color blind!

Last edited by chuckman; 08-30-2008 at 05:41..
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:54   #15
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta69 View Post
We always had Marines, Army, Air Force, and Navy personnel sign up with us.

Never heard of any Coasties jumping ship for the other branches.

N E V E R!

Former Marines were always intent to pounding the crap out of something in the cutter's weight room.

Former Army guys were always stuffing thier face on the messdeck.

Former Air Force always keeping clean and playing with the Airdales in the hanger.

And the former Navy guys? Well, they always quiped they should have joined sooner the Coast Guard sooner.

Much Luck!

Retired Coast Guard Icebreaker Sailor

http://www.gocoastguard.com/

PM me if needed.
Seaman Apprentice Bianchi, Striking BM, REPORTING SIR!
USCG (R) 1980 to 1983. Active duty: USCG Cutter Point Bridge 8 months, 1981.

I hated it so much I transfered to the USAF. I did 20 active and loved it.

(I am the only former Coastie I know who hated it)
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:38   #16
Shasta69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
Seaman Apprentice Bianchi, Striking BM, REPORTING SIR!
USCG (R) 1980 to 1983. Active duty: USCG Cutter Point Bridge 8 months, 1981.

I hated it so much I transfered to the USAF. I did 20 active and loved it.

(I am the only former Coastie I know who hated it)

OK Jwinter,
I have to modify my post...

I have only heard of one Coastie that person that jumped ship for another branch!
Shasta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 23:50   #17
GlenGLOCKER

Congrats I was in from 1984-2004. I was going to suggest getting in a rate that you could use on the outside but you did. Also get a degree while your in. If you get stationed here in VA feel free to PM me.
Old 09-02-2008, 17:55   #18
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

congrats,
you've already made your decision but here's my 2 cents. i never served in the navy but i served many years in the air force and switched into the army two years ago. i like the army better. the airforce did not mix well w/ my personality. too many winers, crybabies, ect. IMO. dont get me wrong you have those types everywhere. but i wanted to feel like i was in the MILITARY. the airforce just seemed like anyother job. i wanted more, the army's definetly giving it to me.
best of luck!
:patriot:
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 18:19   #19
Naptown34
NRA Life Member

I'm retired Navy after 23 years as of April 2008.

It all depends on what you want to do. You really do get out what you put in.
* Personal Protection In The Home
* Rifle
Naptown34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 18:34   #20
KIDCOP
Rifle Master

Jwinter, Congrats. You could have made worse choices for sure. I spent 20 years in the Navy. Like others said you have good days and you have bad days. I would say I had many more good than bad days. Been around the world a couple of times and have seen and done things no body would believe.

In Boot Camp, keep your mouth shut and do as you are told. Be ready to allow things to roll off your shoulders. Keep in mind they are trying to weed out the few who don't belong. It will sound worse than it is. It will be over before you know it. Be sure to lock everything up, all ways. I laughed at the wussy who tried to hang himself 2 days after we started.....we hadn't even started doing anything yet.

The you move on to school, this will be a piece of cake....just do your school work. The better you do the more likley you will get your pick of orders.

On to the Fleet. OK, you are the FNG bootcamp. You will have to do jobs reserved for the guys with no rank. It's part of life. Nice thing is when you get some rank, then the job goes to the new FNG bootcamp.

Always do whay you are asked no matter how bad the job. Do it with a smile and no complaints. Do the smallest job the best you can. Always respect your seniors, but talk to them. Drink Coffee with them. Show them you are a team player. I am not saying be a brown noser, I mean somethings are just plain wrong, but be a team player and before you know it you will have some strips on your sleeves, some metals on your chest and in charge of something important.