Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:13   #1
SkippyThe

Hey western Wa. bird hunters...

How's the pheasant hunting over there? We have so many farm raised birds over here that you need to punt them to get them to bust. Heck I had one in my yard this morning that let me walk right up to it. I was 3 feet from it. I think next season instead of a dog i'll have my son launch them with a 9 iron. Ohh well... atleast the coyotes are getting fat. ST

Glock armorer
SkippyThe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 12:53   #2
PlasticGuy

Skippy, the pheasant hunting around here is 10 times better here than on the other side of the mountains. It is just too wet on the west side of the Cascades and there are too many people, dogs, and coyotes to allow for a viable wild population of pheasants over there. I lived in Bellingham for 20 years, and I can tell you that it is pretty worthless to spend your time hunting pheasants over there. Ducks and geese, yes, but not pheasants. I realize that a lot of the birds over here are farmed too, but there are more of them and at least some of them do breed wild.

And the mental picture I got of your son launching pheasants with a 9-iron is pure gold. Thanks for a good laugh.
Old 07-21-2002, 21:19   #3
SkippyThe

Plastic no problem. Shoot me an email and we'll have to chase some of those birds around this season. We should get a few GTers together for a hunt. ST

Glock armorer
Old 07-21-2002, 21:36   #4
PlasticGuy

Sounds fun. I'm in.
Old 07-26-2002, 15:50   #5
Glocker_Guy

I am new to the Spokane Area, I moved up here from Moscow after going to school at the U of I. Moscow had some great pheasant, hun, and grouse hunting. This coming season will be my first in Spokane. I have tried to do some scouting around for areas to hunt upland bird but I have usually ended up on dead end roads in the middle of nowhere, plastered with no hunting signs.

I have heard that pheasant and hun are good on this side of the state. I just need someone to point me in the general direction of good places to hunt in the Spokane Area.

Any hints, tips, or info would be great!
Glocker_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 10:45   #6
SkippyThe

Quote:
Originally posted by Glocker_Guy
I am new to the Spokane Area, I moved up here from Moscow after going to school at the U of I. Moscow had some great pheasant, hun, and grouse hunting. This coming season will be my first in Spokane. I have tried to do some scouting around for areas to hunt upland bird but I have usually ended up on dead end roads in the middle of nowhere, plastered with no hunting signs.

I have heard that pheasant and hun are good on this side of the state. I just need someone to point me in the general direction of good places to hunt in the Spokane Area.

Any hints, tips, or info would be great!
Checkout BLM land. The fishtrap area has a good population of birds. Also go south. St John, Pinecity, Malden, Rosalia, The Palouse area. When we first bought our house I could walk to a hunting area in 10 minutes but now there are so many transplants here that it's all closed off. ST

Glock armorer
Old 08-05-2002, 14:32   #7
duncan
Lifetime Membership

The public land here in Western Washington is packed with hunters all chasing 5 pen-raised pheasants in small 200-300 acres wildlfie areas.

When I talk to old-timers, they tell me when they were kids, their dads would have the boys flush a flock of more than 300 birds and then shoot one or two down.

And the wet falls and winters really have been killing off the hatchlings.

Sorry, event he grouse hunting is slim around Western Washington.
Old 08-05-2002, 17:31   #8
mattyk6

This just adds one more reason to my list for moving back to the East Side of the mtns. I miss being 10 minutes from good hunting grounds.... Now it is like an hour before I even shoot.
mattyk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 00:51   #9
Fox
Varmit Control

Much of what was good habitat is now urban sprawl. The "Evergreen State" is gone, having been covered up in a sea of concrete.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote