Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2008, 17:34   #1
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

What kind of bird should we get ?

We are a family of animal lovers. We currently have a Lab/Australian Shepherd mix, a miniature Poodle and two cats that spend about 70 to 80 percent of their time outside. So, we have plenty of animals already. My wife had Parrots at different times when she was younger so she likes them. I have known people that have had larger birds and others that have had Parakeets that were friendly and I admired them all. My wife and I both understand that owning a bird is a responsibility and we are also concerned that our cats would likely kill it if they had the opportunity. We will hang the cage where they can't get to it or keep them away when not supervised.

My wife wants to get a Parrot because they are interactive, are capable of talking, and she has experience with them. They live for 30 years so it is quite a responsibility to consider.

I thought I would ask all of you what birds you have experience with and ask for some advice for choosing our bird. Are certain types of Parrots better than others ? Are Cockatiels better ? Are there any other types that we should consider ? What about breeders or other sources ? I will check for rescue/shelters if they have them for birds first. Should we make sure to get a baby or is it ok to get one that is already an adult ?

Any advice you provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-

Last edited by sdsnet; 08-30-2008 at 17:37..
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 19:25   #2
erodg23

www.glocktalk.com

Last edited by erodg23; 01-05-2009 at 17:37..
erodg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 19:40   #3
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I have 1 African Grey and 4 Cockatoos if you want to be able to handle the bird get a cockatoo they are sweet and lovable

Good people sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 13:28   #4
Petra

Send a message via AIM to Petra
I have 1 Timneh African Grey and 1 Greenwing Macaw. They are light years apart in personality. The best thing to do would be to start researching the different species. Even within categories (ie Macaws) there are a wide variety of personalities. Here are some websites that can give you some very general characteristics of different types of parrots.

http://www.pgaa.com/avain/general/parrotcomparison.html

http://www.petparrot.com/picture.htm

http://www.birdsnway.com/

Do a lot of research on what species and what breeder you want to go with before you put down any money. Absolutely no impluse/mercy buying. It will only lead to heartache for you both. If you are near the Houston or DFW area I can give you names of a couple of well respected breeders of multiple types of parrots. IM or email me.
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 18:31   #5
SW342

My daughter raises Gouldian finches, and I must admit they are pretty birds.
SW342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 20:21   #6
HandyMan Hugh
NRA Life Member

The African Gray is reputed to be the smartest of all.
HandyMan Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 18:54   #7
blackbmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
I have 1 African Grey and 4 Cockatoos if you want to be able to handle the bird get a cockatoo they are sweet and lovable
AHHHH!!!!!!! umbrella cockatoo's ARE THE DEVILS SPAWN!!! My father has one. He will take your toe off at the first chance he gets no matter who you are cause he is THE DEVILS SPAWN!!!! I have already been told that the bird is in my fathers will as being the executor to his estate and whoever takes care of the bird will be getting all the holdings. Upon sight after my dad goes the FIRST thing i am going to do is defeather that skinny creature and 425 on the second shelf for 30 minutes him. gonna be the most expensive dinner i have ever eaten, but he has to go in a grotesque manner.
blackbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 20:17   #8
CCFP

I would suggest a cockatiel. I recently found one under one of the feeders in my backyard. I went outside and grabbed it at the request of a local bird looser. Well, it wasn't their bird, and it wasn't anyonelse's apparently either. I never understood why people kept birds as pets........... I didn't get it. Let me tell you, this bird is cool. It's totally interactive, intelligent, and a joy to have around. My "Free" bird has now cost me a few hundred, but that's OK. This bird loves to be around us, rides on our shoulders and our heads, and rarely turds on my head, unlike the rest of the world. I have a birman cat, they seem to get along and until two days ago I had a yellow lab (put him down because it was time). I'm thinking of a new puppy, never had a puppy, maybe an English Fox Hound. They seem difficult to find. Anyone with knowledge of knowledge of good breeders.........I'd appreciate any info.
I'll try to attach a pic.......not sure if I know how.Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
CCFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 20:19   #9
CCFP

http://flickr.com/photos/21128617@N06/2853397173/
http://flickr.com/photos/21128617@N06/2854232628/

There, try these. He has a cage now, but it's only a bedroom.
CCFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37   #10
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

Thank you for the information everyone. I have some research to do that is for sure.

Steve
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:37   #11
I'm Such a Bird
Reformed Member

Taking on the responsibility of having a companion parrot in your home is a very serious decision. Weigh it heavily, and consider the reality of living the rest of your life with an intelligent, sentient being roughly equivalent to a two-through-five-year-old child in a little feathered body for the rest of your life.

A parrot can be highly rewarding if you really commit yourself and approach the bird with the right attitude. Parrots require a lot of space in your home, hours of daily interaction time, and they can be expensive.

I wholly agree that one must do the research before making the commitment to buy a parrot.

This is where I started my research before bringing home my Congo African Grey:

Sally Blanchard's Companion Parrot Handbook

It can be found at:

http://www.companionparrot.com/Compa...20Handbook.htm

It is kind of expensive, but you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere (like maybe Amazon.com).

I'm not trying to discourage you, but there are too many parrots who are bought with high expectations, and then neglected when their owners lose interest. It is very sad, because these birds are highly intelligent and sensitive creatures.

I believe that your inquiry here is proof that you are pretty serious about doing the best that you can for the bird that you might get. Good luck!
I'm Such a Bird is offline   Reply With Quote