Old 09-02-2008, 18:57   #1
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Army Shifts from Green to Blue

Army Shifts from Green to Blue

Quote:
Week of August 28, 2008

A new Army message defines the wear policy of the new Army Service Uniform and gives "bridging" strategy for transition to the new uniform. The new Army Service Uniform will replace the white, blue and green service uniforms. Soldiers are expected to posses the entire uniform by July, 2014.

The two key components of the uniform, the coat and slacks, are expected to cost around $140, or $200 with modifications. Enlisted Soldiers will receive an increase in their annual uniform allowance to help offset the cost of the uniform.

For more information, visit the U.S. Army Service Uniform webpage.
Old 09-02-2008, 19:21   #2
Tx-G30

did the army just adopt airfarce hand-me-downs?

have to admit, it does look pretty sharp.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Tx-G30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:08   #3
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

I dunno, that band camp stripe on the pants . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:10   #4
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Traditional Army colors from the Continental Army up until the Spanish American War.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 18:59   #5
RichardB
Silver Membership

I remember when the Army Green uniform replaced the olive drab short "Ike" jackets and wool pants for enlisted men, there were many who complained that the new green uniform looked too much like a bus drivers outfit or circus ringmasters costume.

It's not my problem today, but I'll bet the tongues are working overtime in the "Green (soon to be Blue) Machine".

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 17:12   #6
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

i actually like the ASU. it looks pretty snazzy IMO and it means i'll worry about one less uniform. i will miss the greens and prefer if my current unit was represented in the ASU. but i'll manage either way for the 2 or 3 times a year when i'll wear it.
:patriot:
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 17:26   #7
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

I'm so used to the green dress uniform with matching pants, and the light green shirts...

This will take some time for me to get used to. But I suppose if it's a return to the original colors, I guess it's better. That blue shirt though, God, it looks too much like the Air Force.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 17:58   #8
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

no worries on the shirt its white not blue
Old 09-10-2008, 18:02   #9
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

its all apart of the recent trends. everyones getting new uniforms. the navy is even talking about going back to the kahki service dress. af is talking about bringing back the "old" service dress hap arnold style jacket (although i dont know if you can really consider that OLD).
Old 09-11-2008, 09:02   #10
dox1842

Send a message via AIM to dox1842
bleh, I like the greens more. How many uniforms does a junior enlisted army soldier have total?? Im in the navy and we have like 6 uniforms.
dox1842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:07   #11
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

most junior enlist have currently have two, ACUs and the greens. at this time junior enlisted are not REQUIRED to have dress blues. but w/ the introduction of the ASU EVERYONE will be required to have two, ACUs and ASU (i'm not sure who, if any, is REQUIRED to have the short mess dress coat).
Old 09-18-2008, 09:06   #12
TacticalBling

Uhh...Maybe I'm just not seeing the history here or anything, but the uniform just seems out of place to me.

Especially the NCO uniforms, as they seem to be the biggest hodge-podge. The Male NCO wears a Class B shirt, dress blue pants with gold stripe, and combat boots?

Not to mention the beret, but that's a decade-old gripe...
TacticalBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:30   #13
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

tacticalbling...
here's your history lesson: http://www.army.mil/asu/
Old 10-06-2008, 15:22   #14
Fox
Varmit Control

In wish the army went to khaki rather than blue for a class A and B uniform.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 15:31   #15
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

wasnt the Army the same branch that decided to be fair and equitable and give EVERYBODY berets?

so now instead of the issue of a G.B. to signify that one is above the cut substantially, they give them to everyone but just in a different color as to not have anyone feel left out....

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 20:38   #16
GreenBeret1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
wasnt the Army the same branch that decided to be fair and equitable and give EVERYBODY berets?

so now instead of the issue of a G.B. to signify that one is above the cut substantially, they give them to everyone but just in a different color as to not have anyone feel left out....

Yes, that's right.

1.) Green — Special Forces Regiment (18x MOS)

2.) Tan — 75th Ranger Regiment (Qualified Ranger)

3.) Maroon — Airborne Units

4.) Black — The US Army (Not covered above.)

The only two that are not earned and are issues are numbers (3) and (4)

I don't count (# 3) as earned because all soldiers in assigned to an Airborne unit. wear the maroon beret. It's not restricted to qualified Paratroopers.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
GreenBeret1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 20:49   #17
GreenBeret1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_CRUNCH View Post
most junior enlist have currently have two, ACUs and the greens. at this time junior enlisted are not REQUIRED to have dress blues. but w/ the introduction of the ASU EVERYONE will be required to have two, ACUs and ASU (i'm not sure who, if any, is REQUIRED to have the short mess dress coat).
If you are a career officer and/or senior NCO you will need a Mess Dress uniform sooner or later in your career. This is especially true, for Officers. Today's military have many more formal occasions then in the distant past. The Mess Dress, is really the Armies Tux for Black tie and/or White tie (w/White Vest) occasions.

Most commands will insist that assigned Officers, have a Mess Dress along with CSMs, SMs and E-8s. Other ranks may get more slack, especially E-5s and below. It all depends on your units and superior officers. Otherwise your evaluation may suffer some hits.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
GreenBeret1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 22:41   #18
Hooah

Only people that are authorized to wear maroon, tan, green berets can wear the boots.
Hooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02   #19
Dean

It's too much. We're going too far with badges..

A WHITE SHIRT all the time?
The division crest and special duty badge - drill sgt - worn on the women's uniform way down by the beltline is just too much. Why are we sticking every badge on our soldiers? To dress them up like Vianese streetcar conductors?

Does EVERYBODY enlisted have to wear the beret all the time now?
Bloused boots, with blue and gold striped dress pants? A bit over the top isn't it?
YES, our soldiers do special duty and go to a lot of schools.
NO, they don't need to cover the front of their uniform with little pins to prove that to the world.

Rank, ribbons and a name tag is all that you need. Maybe one or two skill badges - not ten! I hope a lot of that stuff is optional. I admire the USMC uniform - but not dress blues for every day wear for Army soldiers. A soldier is a gentleman warrior, and a uniform is a business suit - not a white and dress blue merit badge sash. Can we call off the decorators, please?

Last edited by Dean; 10-07-2008 at 01:08..
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:16   #20
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

i think that "Army of One" stuff was the turning point of the liberal mentality that has infected the Army, as well as other branches.....the commercials were quite laughable....anyone think they are an "Army of One"? get in a fire fight and see how long you last alone.....

that slogan was made up to feed the inflated egos of the public school kids who had been getting a pass in school for years because the mentality there was "we have winners and almost winners" as in nobody looses, everyone is equal, being smart does not get rewarded.....

getting a Beret in the Army used to signify the cream of the crop, and yes it was/is a green one.....but i guess the commanders felt the need to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy like the stores clerk who hands out wool blankets behind the enimey lines, and the generals driver and secretary who get a paper cut and take a day off to recover.....so Berets for everyone.....woo-whoo, nobody special anymore, nobody is held above the rest as better, we wont reward the extra effort, everyone is the same....

o.k., im done....

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote