Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:01   #1
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
2009 Legislature Bill Draft Requests

The government is starting to compile their wish list of legislation for the upcoming 2009 session. I only see 3 out of the 474 BDR's submitted have the wording "concealed weapons" or "firearms" in their title, so that is good news. They haven't posted the bdr text to the legislature web site, but I hope they do that soon.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/....cfm?showAll=1

138 Assemblyman Settelmeyer
Makes various changes concerning firearms.
15--200 Senator Heck
Revises provisions regarding the carrying of a concealed firearm.
255 Assemblyman Mortenson
Enacts Castle Doctrine for Nevada.

A couple others that look interesting to the Libertarian in all of us:
20 Senate Committee on Transportation and Homeland Security
Makes failure to wear a safety belt in a motor vehicle a primary offense.
461 Assembly Committee on Transportation
Allows local governments to use automated systems to enforce traffic laws.
8 Assemblyman Ohrenschall
Creates state registry of persons convicted of domestic violence and similar crimes.
40 Assemblyman Ohrenschall
Authorizes the operation of certain fuel-efficient hybrid electric vehicles in lanes reserved for high-occupancy vehicles, regardless of the number of passengers.
79 Assembly Minority Leader
Requires photographic identification for voting.
80 Senator Care
Makes service on county commission in certain larger counties full-time employment.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:29   #2
osiruscyn
Broken Member

i'm real interested to see what heck and settlemeyer are wanting to do. Especially, concerning the CCW's. They are both republican so hopefully they are trying to make some improvements.
osiruscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:37   #3
osiruscyn
Broken Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
The government is starting to compile their wish list A couple others that look interesting to the Libertarian in all of us:
20 Senate Committee on Transportation and Homeland Security
Makes failure to wear a safety belt in a motor vehicle a primary offense.
461 Assembly Committee on Transportation
Allows local governments to use automated systems to enforce traffic laws.
8 Assemblyman Ohrenschall
Creates state registry of persons convicted of domestic violence and similar crimes.
40 Assemblyman Ohrenschall
Authorizes the operation of certain fuel-efficient hybrid electric vehicles in lanes reserved for high-occupancy vehicles, regardless of the number of passengers.
79 Assembly Minority Leader
80 Senator Care
Makes service on county commission in certain larger counties full-time employment.
That seat belt one is ****ing horse****. THey have been trying to do that for years. One of these times they might actually succeed and i really hope they don't.

That traffic camera one they tried before and it got shot down by the voters. I wish they wouldn't try for this **** again.

I'm impartial on the list for domestic violence. I's rather see one for more violent crimes like robberies, batteries, and the like.

the hybrid in the HOV lanes is like saying "I'm so pretentious that i get to drive where ever i want because i purposely went and bought a hybrid." It's a joke.

The photographic proof for voting is meh in my opinion. Don't really care either way on that one.

I think they should make anyone serving on the county comission/city council either their full time job or not. They get paid fairly well to be commissioners/councilmen. Why should they get to work a side job when regular county workers or city workers are frowned upon for doing it and in some cases prevented from having a side job.
Old 09-03-2008, 13:54   #4
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

I'm kinda curious to see what those two have up their sleeves as well. I hope you're right about the improvement and not more restrictions.

I can't stand seatbelt/helmet laws, North town is really pushing hard for the red light cameras. I know they have them installed at certain intersections (but not issuing cites) to collect evidence/data to present their case this coming session. I would support them only on very specific terms as to where the revenue goes and how the lights are timed.

I'm adverse to making commissioner a full-time job because the idea of politics is to do your service, serve your terms and then go back to your private business. Besides, with the term limits, they only get 12 yrs anyway. I've always wanted to get my hair cut by a councilman anyway.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-04-2008, 16:54   #5
CowboyKen

Has anyone submitted legislation that will give us back the Brady check excemption? I think that all it would take is to make it a renewal requirement to run the background check that they, in fact, run anyway.

Ken
Old 09-06-2008, 09:26   #6
rwschill

I agree with cowboyken that we really need to get the NICS exemption reinstated. Any ideas on who to contact on this?
rwschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:22   #7
osiruscyn
Broken Member

my understanding is the legislature or DPS need to recitify the certification/background check for the CCW so it complies with the process for doing the background check for a regular gun purchase. The ATF said that the CCW background wasn't sufficient to qualify for an exemption to purchase a firearm. DPS drug their feet in getting it fixed so the ATF revoked the exemption.
Old 09-06-2008, 13:00   #8
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

I also agree that we need to get that exemption legislated back into existence so it's no longer a discretionary item for the sheriffs to drop when they feel they want more money for doing their jobs. I know it's going to be a part of the discussion at this Wednesday's NVSCA meeting (you ARE attending, right????). I'm sure they'll all start whining about unfunded mandates, but there's no reason for us to pay for all the other duties they have their clerks doing on top of ccws.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-06-2008, 14:08   #9
osiruscyn
Broken Member

Quote:
I also agree that we need to get that exemption legislated back into existence so it's no longer a discretionary item for the sheriffs to drop when they feel they want more money for doing their jobs. I know it's going to be a part of the discussion at this Wednesday's NVSCA meeting (you ARE attending, right????). I'm sure they'll all start whining about unfunded mandates, but there's no reason for us to pay for all the other duties they have their clerks doing on top of ccws.
the fee for the background check goes to DPS i believe since they are the ones who does the background checks, not the local police departments/sheriff's.
Old 09-06-2008, 16:30   #10
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

I think we"re talking about different background checks. I'm referring to the one the SO performs when you apply for a CCW that exempts you from the check at the gun store when purchasing a firearm. It was something about the sheriffs refusing to check some ICE database to verify citizenship. The ATF revoked the CCW exemption because of this and now the sheriffs have to agree to sign a MOU to reinstate the exemption. If it were state law, they would be REQUIRED to check the database (no longer discretionary), there would be no need for any MOU and the ATF would reinstate the exemption.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-08-2008, 11:35   #11
jfrey123

Is there a place on the web showing the actual written bills? I'd like to start looking at the verbiage and see what actually is covered by bills by people like Senator Heck...
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47   #12
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
Is there a place on the web showing the actual written bills? I'd like to start looking at the verbiage and see what actually is covered by bills by people like Senator Heck...
Unfortunately not. I emailed the legislative help desk, they said the actual text won't be available on the site until the session begins and they become actual bills. The suggestion the guy gave me was to contact the author/requestor as they would have the text they submitted. While I don't have direct contact info for most of the groups/people who submitted bdr's, I know the guy who wrote the bdrs for my department and I've seen them all. I suppose emailing/calling the office of a senator wouldn't be out of order.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-09-2008, 10:07   #13
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

So now we're up to 578 as of 9/5....no more firearm stuff that's jumping out at me, but some other interesting bills...

474 Washoe County
Authorizes counties to impose a fuel surcharge on moving traffic violations to defray cost of motor vehicle fuel used for law enforcement activities

501 Legislative Committee on Public Lands (NRS 218.5363)
Requires registration and titling of off-highway vehicles.

512 Assemblyman Bobzien
Provides for the issuance of an apprentice hunting license which allows hunting under the supervision of a mentor hunter.

533 Senator Nolan (aka Dennis the helmet...)
Makes various changes to ensure personal scooter safety.

566 Assemblywoman Weber
Expands the DNA database to include all felony arrests. (big brother here we come....)

576 Assemblyman Stewart
Designates English as the official language of the State of Nevada.

577 Assemblyman Stewart
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-09-2008, 22:32   #14
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

So I went out on a limb this afternoon and emailed Sens Joe Heck and John Settlemeyer about their BDR's. I got replies from both almost immediately. They're both playing it very close to their chest and are refusing to go into any specifics about the content of the bills. Heck did go so far as to say that his is very favorable to CCW holders. I didn't get that much from Settlemeyer, but I have a feeling that since he's a) from a rural area and b) a Republican, we have little to worry about from him and may even wind up thanking him.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-18-2008, 23:19   #15
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

So this week brings us BDR #'s 579-591...no new firearm related bills.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-19-2008, 00:20   #16
1337-G
Armed

Quote:
So now we're up to 578 as of 9/5....no more firearm stuff that's jumping out at me, but some other interesting bills...

474 Washoe County
Authorizes counties to impose a fuel surcharge on moving traffic violations to defray cost of motor vehicle fuel used for law enforcement activities
****ing horse****.
Old 09-26-2008, 20:40   #17
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Up to 606 so far, nothing else important to report.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
NRA Benefactor Member