Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2012, 19:07   #1
21Glock

Anyone make gas checks for .401 dia. handgun cast bullets?

I thought I would ask you guys this question since I'm wanting to shoot my LEE TC 175gr. .40 cal homecast bullets a little faster than the 1200fps that I'm doing now with 11gr. of Blue Dot.
I have a RCBS LAMII that I use with White Label 2500 rifle lube on them now.
Slight leading at 1200fps, know there will be alot more if I go to 1300-1400fps.
WW water quenched alloy.

Thanks!
21Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 20:06   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Yondering was making some from soda cans with a homemade check punch...
You may want to also check with FreeChex who was selling check maker dies.

I may make me check maker from an old lee Bullet sizer...
Good luck!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 21:39   #3
gofastman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-mm-Alumin...item20ce1d3b7a

I just ordered 1000, they work well but they are a bit snug on my bullets, I recommend you get 100 or so to make sure you like them.

I also have a PBCheckmaker that stamps out gas checks from strips of cut up pop cans (the PB part stands for plain base)
I think it makes a tad bit better checks than the ebay ones
I got it from patmarlin on the castboolits forum
while you are there, check out member randyrat, he makes a lube called TAC#1
it is top notch, high performance stuff!
Old 12-20-2012, 21:46   #4
Yondering

+ 1 to both options gofastman listed. If you want to make your own checks, PatMarlin's checkmaker is the way to go (or a home built punch like mine, if you're handy with tools). If you don't want to make them, James Sage's checks are the way to go. They are thicker than soda can checks (.008" vs .004-.005") and require a bit more force to size, but work very well.

You can request a specific ID of the checks from James Sage. I asked for mine at .402", but he might be able to do a bit larger.

Last edited by Yondering; 12-20-2012 at 21:47..
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 22:11   #5
21Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
+ 1 to both options gofastman listed. If you want to make your own checks, PatMarlin's checkmaker is the way to go (or a home built punch like mine, if you're handy with tools). If you don't want to make them, James Sage's checks are the way to go. They are thicker than soda can checks (.008" vs .004-.005") and require a bit more force to size, but work very well.

You can request a specific ID of the checks from James Sage. I asked for mine at .402", but he might be able to do a bit larger.
Thanks for the info.! This really helps! I think I'll try an order from James Sage for .402 dia. for my PB .401 dia. LEE 175gr. TC cast bullets.
I have a .460 Rowland kit on my G21 and I want to me able to shoot my .45 LEE 230gr. TC bullets up to 1350 fps and he could do some for that one as well. I guess I would need .453 dia. on these.
My RCBS LAMII is supposed to seat gas checks on the bullet when it is sized and lubed.
Old 12-21-2012, 18:15   #6
Yondering

Yeah, I got some from James Sage for my 45 Auto loads too, mostly for hot loads in my carbine. He can do a .458" ID and a .008" check; they are a little larger than necessary before sizing, but it doesn't seem to matter, works great.

Just a heads up though, the RCBS luber sizer dies that I have seem to have trouble occasionally with these thin checks; there is a ring cut out inside the die, where the lube flows in, the top edge of this ring sometimes catches the lip of the check as the bullet is raised out of the die. Not an insurmountable issue, but enough of an annoyance that I only use Lyman dies for this now. The Lyman dies don't have this ring, just holes for the lube. I think you can use lyman dies in your RCBS sizer, but am not positive about that.

Last edited by Yondering; 12-21-2012 at 18:15..
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 21:28   #7
21Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
Yeah, I got some from James Sage for my 45 Auto loads too, mostly for hot loads in my carbine. He can do a .458" ID and a .008" check; they are a little larger than necessary before sizing, but it doesn't seem to matter, works great.

Just a heads up though, the RCBS luber sizer dies that I have seem to have trouble occasionally with these thin checks; there is a ring cut out inside the die, where the lube flows in, the top edge of this ring sometimes catches the lip of the check as the bullet is raised out of the die. Not an insurmountable issue, but enough of an annoyance that I only use Lyman dies for this now. The Lyman dies don't have this ring, just holes for the lube. I think you can use lyman dies in your RCBS sizer, but am not positive about that.
Thanks for the heads up. I may just run the sized and lubed bullet from the RCBS LAMII through my LEE sizer to seat the gas check on the .452 bullets. I have a LEE .501 sizer for my .500 S&W cast bullets and it does a good job of seating the Hornady gas checks on the big 440 gr. FN bullets.
Or I can see if Midway has some Lyman dies in stock for the .452 size. From what I've heard the Lyman dies will fit in a RCBS LAMII.
Old 12-21-2012, 21:57   #8
blastfact

Your wasting your time,,, and you know it!!!
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:34   #9
21Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Glock View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I may just run the sized and lubed bullet from the RCBS LAMII through my LEE sizer to seat the gas check on the .452 bullets. I have a LEE .501 sizer for my .500 S&W cast bullets and it does a good job of seating the Hornady gas checks on the big 440 gr. FN bullets.
Or I can see if Midway has some Lyman dies in stock for the .452 size. From what I've heard the Lyman dies will fit in a RCBS LAMII.

So when I place an order with James for the 10mm and .45 calibers. I can specify the dia. of the gas checks. That's great to know. Midway does have Lyman sizer dies in each of the 3 calibers I cast for.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:42   #10
gofastman

Quote:
So when I place an order with James for the 10mm and .45 calibers. I can specify the dia. of the gas checks. That's great to know. Midway does have Lyman sizer dies in each of the 3 calibers I cast for.
You may have to radius and/or polish the entrance if the lyman sizing die to prevent the checks from tearing, also they go on much better on freshly cast boolits, before they have time to harden.
Old 12-23-2012, 13:06   #11
21Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
You may have to radius and/or polish the entrance if the lyman sizing die to prevent the checks from tearing, also they go on much better on freshly cast boolits, before they have time to harden.

What do you do, mic your bullets and then increase the dia. to a .001 or 2 when you order them from James on E-bay? Or do they just go on the plain base of the bullet as they are offered on his e-bay site?
Old 12-23-2012, 13:20   #12
gofastman

Quote:
Or do they just go on the plain base of the bullet as they are offered on his e-bay site?
this.

mic'ing your bullets may help if you wanna put the effort in, but remember you are dealing with soft, malleable materials, so if they dont fit perfect you can make them fit, within reason of course
Old 12-23-2012, 15:33   #13
21Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
this.

mic'ing your bullets may help if you wanna put the effort in, but remember you are dealing with soft, malleable materials, so if they dont fit perfect you can make them fit, within reason of course

Ok. Thanks! Will order some in 10mm and .452 after the Holidays.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY!
Old 12-31-2012, 20:00   #14
21Glock

Quote:
Ok. Thanks! Will order some in 10mm and .452 after the Holidays.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY!

I just got some of James Sage's gas checks in for my 10mm and .45 ACP bullets. Using the LEE sizers after I sized and lubed the bullets in my RCBS LAMII.
I run them into the LEE sizer for each caliber base first and the gas checks are on nice and snug.

I know I'm going to love using these in my mid to hot loads.