Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:30   #1
Stonewall308

Hunting WMA in VA, specifically Thompson or CF Phelps, or QUANTICO

Does anyone have any insight on hunting WMAs in VA? Thompson and CF phelps are the only ones near me. Thompson has a longer season and more doe days, so I am really thinking about this one. Are they extremely heavily used?

Thanks.

http://www.hunting-fishing-virginia....and/index.html

Also, does anyone have any info on how busy Quantico is for deer hunting?

Last edited by Stonewall308; 09-07-2008 at 13:11..
Stonewall308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 20:22   #2
vafish

I haven't hunted either of the WMA's. But a couple of guys from work tried to hunt Thompson a couple of times.

From listening to them talk, Archery and Muzzle Loader seasons don't sound too bad. Week days during gun season might be alright. Weekends during gun season, forget it.

I haven't hunted Quantico since I got out of the Army 20 years ago. From what I understand it's still pretty much the same, military get their passes the day before, civilians have to line up the morning they want to hunt and they get whatever is left over.

Several guys from work bow hunt Belvoir and it sounds like the best public hunting in the area.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:55   #3
koolaid

Send a message via Yahoo to koolaid
I've hunted the Chickahominy WMA. During bow, muzzleloader, or gun season on the weekdays, it's not to bad, hardly anyone else around. But on the weekends, forget about it. Everybody and their brother is out in force. I have witnessed some of the most reckless gun handling and blantant disregard for hunting regs and common sense on the weekends. The last time I hunted there on a weekend, I had at least 10 people set up as close as 10 yards all around me, and this was after they had seen me. This was also when some yahoo shot a 6 pointer from his truck, parked in the middle of the road in full view of the game warden.
koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15   #4
mike253
NRA - IWLA

I squirrel hunt out at Thompson fairly often but no longer waste my time trying to deer hunt there. Last few times I've tried, it's been PACKED and the woods were filled with idiots smoking cigars, shooting at sounds, or yelling at each other.
Old 10-19-2008, 18:25   #5
Spike32

I hunted Powhatan WMA heavily in the past. Need to be aware of private clubs running dogs...can be a problem. Otherwise, I had good success there, since I could use a rifle. You will need to go DEEP into the interior of any WMA to avoid the ass***es that tend to congregate there.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHP_ADM%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1593833729 1073750107 16 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> G32 G33<o:p></o:p>
NRA LIFE & VCDL<o:p></o:p>
SUB CLUB #78
TOP GUN 357SIG CLUB #78
GLOCKERS OF THE OLD DOMINION #78
!

Spike32 is offline   Reply With Quote