Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-12-2008, 16:48   #1
byearlymonk

Training Children

At what age do you think that children should start learning about the proper way to use a gun? I ask because I will soon have a child, and I know too many parents who teach their children wrong on the topic of gun safety, and gun use.
byearlymonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 19:30   #2
Parasite
Resident Cynic

regarding use, i think the child needs to be old enough to safely handle the gun, and that age is probably really up to you. i would have no hesitation showing a 5-8 year old how to shoot a .22 rifle, but would probably leave the handguns for an age where they can properly control them. and after they've demonstrated proper firearm handling with a rifle.

regarding safety, how long do you wait to teach your new one that the stove is hot? or that the street is dangerous?

That's the stance i took with mine. Just teach them as soon as they can comprehend that guns are dangerous, just like so many other things in our world. And that no, they won't jump up and kill you, but they should be respected for what they could do. Ever since my daughter could talk, she could tell me the basic rules of gun safety. Good luck with yours, congrats!
Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 19:41   #3
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

BB gun 3 or 4

22 5 or 6

Safety first, last and always.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 23:51   #4
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
BB gun 3 or 4

22 5 or 6

Safety first, last and always.
Absolutely
Gun Shark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 00:05   #5
mitchshrader
Deceased

i got a .22 rifle & revolver when I was 7, in rural texas.

45 years later, i bought my kids personal firearms (rifles) when they turned 15, living in Tulsa. Handguns @ 18.

One's local customs are relevant. So is the maturity of the individual.

Training does not require ownership.

Given adequate oversight, training may begin whenever the novice is able to learn.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:59   #6
papasmurf77

My son is 5 and he is learning basic gun safety with his bow and arrow and crossbow sets. nerf toys but they are never pointed at people. He told me yesterday before I headed to the range to make sure no one was in front of me when I pointed at the target.
papasmurf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 19:56   #7
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf77 View Post
My son is 5 and he is learning basic gun safety with his bow and arrow and crossbow sets. nerf toys but they are never pointed at people. He told me yesterday before I headed to the range to make sure no one was in front of me when I pointed at the target.
lol good job taching your son.
Gun Shark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 22:08   #8
Uzi4U
NRA Life Member

It depends on the maturity level of the child. I started my kids on basic gun safety when they were around 5 yrs old.
Uzi4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 20:57   #9
FLAHOTROD

Basic gun safety (like don't touch, get away, tell an adult) as soon as they can understand it.

Then, as they get older, introduce them to basic shooting safety with BB guns, pellet guns, etc. Eventually (based on your evaluation of their maturity & readiness) move on to .22's, etc.

Take them shooting with you when you think they are ready so they can learn proper procedures firsthand, even if they are not ready to shoot the gun themselves.

Good luck and congratulations on expecting your first child.

Florida Glocker #112, S&W #112, Ruger #112a, Rimfire #112, SNS #112
FLAHOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 00:57   #10
d3athp3nguin

Another thing of note, and just a personal opinion-

Depending on the community you live in, it may be prudent to tell your kid not to brag/tell their friends about your firearms. I'm not saying your son/daughter should hide the fact that they target shoot, but their friends may be tempted to see your firearms if they know there are guns in the house. Peer pressure is extremely hard to resist when you are young, especially if it is so innocuous a request as "can I see X?" Of course, locking up your non-carry firearms (and not giving the kids the codes) is an easy fix for that.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:37   #11
meshmdz
OBAMA 2012

Send a message via AIM to meshmdz Send a message via Yahoo to meshmdz Send a message via Skype™ to meshmdz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi4U View Post
It depends on the maturity level of the child. I started my kids on basic gun safety when they were around 5 yrs old.
Very good thought.
meshmdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36   #12
Glockin21

Now i dont want kids.Too expensive,but i will say that this video im about to show you makes me say somewhere around day 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irykjLjuKo8
Old 03-21-2011, 14:36   #13
Glenriven

If you are going to have a weapon and ammunition in your house, I think itís never too early to start teaching them. Sooner or later curiosity will kick in and the child will go behind your back to satisfy it if you havenít already satisfied it for them. When I was 6 or 8 my stepfather filled a plastic milk jug with hot water and put the cap back on. We went outside (we lived in rural Idaho at the time.) and we shot it. It sort of blew up. He explained to me that this is what would happen if I pointed it at my little brother. Those kinds of lessons stick with you. Showing a kid a hole in a target doesnít get the point across as well.
Glenriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:56   #14
vafish

Basic gun safety as soon as they can understand it.

actual shooting, BB gun at 4, .22 rifle at 5, .22 hand guns at 8, shotguns, and larger rifles as they can physically handle them.

that's how I taught my 4 kids. oldest is in college on a rifle team and holds 5,NRA national records.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 17:33   #15
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Gun safety - as soon as they have the attention span to watch the Eddie Eagle video

Gun handling - as soon as they have the maturity to follow rules and directions

In the case of my daughters, that was 3 years for Eddie Eagle, etc. For gun handling, my kids started taking air rifle, and shooting single shot .22s at 6. They are 7&9 now, and I will start them on pistol next school year, when they are 8&10. Unless they choose archery. We don't have time/$ for all three, and I want them to keep up the rifle.

Appleseed is family friendly, and a great way to introduce your kids to marksmanship.

Mrs.Cicero

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Last edited by Mrs.Cicero; 03-29-2011 at 17:34..
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52   #16
Kith

About safety, as soon as possible.

Whether or not they have any interest in firearms over the course of their life is not as relevant as being educated on the dangers the world presents.

Even if they don't go on to enjoy shooting, knowing how to safely handle a firearm, and when to avoid someone who isn't provides your child with a skill that could very well save their life one day.

Someone mentioned nerf guns as a tool to practice these skills, which is a good one.

Also think of water guns too.

When old enough, BB guns are a good way to further illustrate and train safe handling procedures, without using a 'real' firearm.

That you posted this shows good parenting skills, bravo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
That's what I like about the Internet. It's safe to be among idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi
Indignation leads to itself. Education leads to solutions.
Kith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 19:47   #17
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero View Post
Gun safety - as soon as they have the attention span to watch the Eddie Eagle video

Gun handling - as soon as they have the maturity to follow rules and directions

In the case of my daughters, that was 3 years for Eddie Eagle, etc. For gun handling, my kids started taking air rifle, and shooting single shot .22s at 6. They are 7&9 now, and I will start them on pistol next school year, when they are 8&10. Unless they choose archery. We don't have time/$ for all three, and I want them to keep up the rifle.

Appleseed is family friendly, and a great way to introduce your kids to marksmanship.

Mrs.Cicero
Daughter + Rifle = College Tuition
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55   #18
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Daughter + Rifle = College Tuition
Exactly.

Mrs.Cicero

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 22:23   #19
Thrill

I have 5 children,... all children are different,... depends on the child's individual maturity and interests.
Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 23:31   #20
Maine1

daily, from the beginning, he or she will be learning from your every move. if you take handling and use of weapons seriously so will they. Then when they get old enough, they will not think that you do not practice what you preach. I started my boy on safety and such when he was 4. I just bought him a 22, and he is 6. He knows the rules, and why they are important, as we discuss them often, and he is allowed to ask questions and handle guns- and clean gun parts- under supervision. He also knows that the family guns are family business, and he does not need to tell anyone about it. It has come up ONCE in public, and all i had to say was 'we do not need to say anything, do we" and he said "no, we don't' and we shared a knowing look. That bonding over guns- or anything else, is priceless.
I also teach him to take care of tools, and i feel this relates, as guns are tools.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote