GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:38   #1
USMC03Grunt

Mossberg QC...WTF is going on with this outfit???

So today I was in the local gun shop and seen not one but two M500 Batam 20 gauge shotguns. These were the 54300 model with the extended magazine tube and ghost ring sights. I thought, "Cool, I've been looking for one for my son and these are pretty reasonably priced." I was ready to start whipping out the debit card when I noticed the front sight on the specimen I was looking at was soldered on way off to the left that it was plainly visible to the naked eye. The salesman's response was to drift the blade to the right in the dovetail. Um, yeah, so then I will have about half a front sight blade hanging out of the dovetail to zero it? No thanks, let's look at the other one.
This one had the base soldered on closer to the center but the blade appears to have been bashed into place with a rock or other heavy blunt object. The top was obviously bent over to the left and the bade and/or dovetail had some obvious damage as well. Uhm, no thanks, I'll pass on this one as well!
WTF has happened to Mossberg these days? I still have an old M500ATP that has been flawless since I bought it used in the early 90's and my M590 has been a stellar problem-free performer since I got it in 2008. If glaring problems like this are still sent out the door, what other less obvious flaws are also present in their guns? IMHO, Mossberg has put so much focus on weed whacker handles, fake suppressors, .50 BMG muzzle brakes on shotguns and even .22 rifles that their quality control is in a death spiral! Mossberg once upon a time was a company I viewed as a serious gun maker that put out quality firearms but after seeing these couple of abortions, I think I will buy anything else, even if it's freakin' Chinese before I buy Mossberg!
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:44   #2
F_G

Had a similar issue with a 930SPX I bought a few years back. Shotgun came with the wrong spring in the mag tube and Mossberg sent me 3 of the same springs on 3 separate instances......all wrong. One of the screws for the rail mounted to the receiver was stripped. The final straw is when the plastic transfer bar broke after less than 500 rounds.

I have a couple of Mossberg 500 Bantams I bought my son's about 18 years ago and they are awesome, but not real impressed lately.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:48   #3
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

That's too bad... I just bought a new 590a1 a few months back and it's good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 15:53   #4
jakebrake
cracker

^^^ gotta agree. my 590 sp is a gem.
Old 04-10-2014, 17:12   #5
TimC
Uhavthecontrols

Seems the "local gun shop" in question should send or already have sent the guns back if they arrived in that condition from the Mossberg factory.

I too recently purchased a new 590A1 which seems to be in excellent new condition.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 19:21   #6
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Granted I have only played with a few specimens from them, but have always held to the belief they were junk. The local dealer here had a couple 590A1's in stock a few months back for a good price. Had the action not been so rough. I would have jumped on one.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 21:55   #7
aippi

I just completed the Mossberg LE Armorers course over a month ago and still can't get dealer accress to parts. Took three weeks to find the right guy and faxed him my ffl and Certification over a week ago. Still no luck. They out sourse all their work so it is hard to even find the right people to deal with. It is getting very fustrating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:45   #8
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

That's a shame to hear about Mossberg. They've always made a great shotgun. I've had and still have quite a few of them and never had one issue with QC.

In fact, I just picked up a brand new 590A1 a few weeks back and it was perfect.

Maybe they had a bad batch or someone in training?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:49   #9
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Granted I have only played with a few specimens from them, but have always held to the belief they were junk. The local dealer here had a couple 590A1's in stock a few months back for a good price. Had the action not been so rough. I would have jumped on one.

A company like Mossberg doesn't stay in business as long as they've been in it by building junk.

Just saying.....

My 590A1's action was a little gritty but once I field stripped and gave it a good lube job, it was fine. Most of the 590's I've handled at the gun shops were like that and need lubed.
Mine was pretty dry inside as shipped from the factory.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:42   #10
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

Only one shotgun passed the US military trails all three times. That is the Mossberg 590 A1. Not junk. Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 20:56   #11
USMC03Grunt

I agree that they have built many good firearms and the two Mossbergs I do own have no faults in this department. Then again, these were bought years ago with the more recent one being 2008. However, looking at the quality of the 2 specimens I checked out, I would have to say that their QC has slipped to let out anything that blatantly wrong.
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49   #12
rv4driver

I transferred a Mossberg to someone two years ago, and before shipping I checked it out, the trigger was way above the 12lb limit of my digital gauge, and when the gun was opened (over-under break-open), it started making metal at the joint.
So, stupid heavy trigger, atrocious parts fit, I'm done with them. That gun should NEVER have left the factory.
rv4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:16   #13
aippi

The guns are not junk. They are an upgraded version of the Remington model 31 that Remington abondoned in favor of the 870. Mossberg made some fine upgrades to that model. They work and are dependable. What is going on is the management. They out source every thing and the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. The Quality Control issue is more an employee issue and it is the same in all these companies. The work ethic of my generation has deteriated. I see it in Remington and in other models as well in other things I buy either for business or personal use.

Over one month and I still can not get an account, price list or even a way to order parts. I have Eight 590A1's sitting here that I will not sell till I go through them and tune them up. I will give them another week and just get the freaking parts from Brownell's and give up on doing anything further with this company.

That Military mess about this shotgun is just that, mess. MIL SPEC means nothing to me. Remember in the Movie Armageddon when they are sitting in the seats of the Shuttle getting ready to blast off and the one guy says he is scared because they are sitting on top of a millions gallons of rocket fuel getting ready to blast off in a ship that was built by the Lowest bidder? Says it all right there.

The OP is bashing the one he ended up with and the QC and the employees that let it out of the factory. He is right to do that.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37   #14
Hedo1

Mossberg is heading downhill in my opinion. I had a lot of issues with my 930 spx. Mossberg was horrible about it. Rude customer service and when I could talk to them seemed clueless. I own 3 other Mossberg's before the 930 spx. I will never buy another one of their products again. honestly I just breeze past whatever they have anymore.
Old 04-12-2014, 17:46   #15
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
A company like Mossberg doesn't stay in business as long as they've been in it by building junk.

Just saying.....

My 590A1's action was a little gritty but once I field stripped and gave it a good lube job, it was fine. Most of the 590's I've handled at the gun shops were like that and need lubed.
Mine was pretty dry inside as shipped from the factory.
I have been spoiled by the 870. Specifically the trap model with the silky smooth action. I tend to judge all others by that. While I like the 870 and have several of the tactical models. Even they are rough as hell compared to an old Wingmaster. Makes me mad to think about it.

I still keep on the look out for old police models.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 18:42   #16
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Far from junk, and I think you should play with a few more specimens before you jump to such a conclusion...

That 590a1 action smooths out nicely with just a tiny bit of use. Mine was a little "rough" when I bought it, but after just a few boxes of shells, it's like butter and is built like a tank.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 20:08   #17
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
The guns are not junk. They are an upgraded version of the Remington model 31 that Remington abondoned in favor of the 870.
My understanding, and perhaps someone at Remington has told you differently, was that the 31 was dropped in favor of the 870 based on cost of production and tepid sales, not anything related to the design. The tepid sales were more due to Winchester's overwhelmingly successful Model 12 than any fault of the 31. In fact, the 31 was the FBI's shotgun of choice while it was produced and was used up until the 70s by some field offices.

Mossberg took the 31 design and, as you say, refined it a bit for simplicity and cost, and it's been going strong ever since.

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 21:32   #18
cciman

Why put a sight on a tactical scattergun...then also why buy a 20 gauge "tactical" model?

Just take that front sight off and put a dollop of black or red RTV where you think the center is.
cciman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 14:47   #19
mr00jimbo

Aippi, what specifically do they outsource? Do they make their own barrels and actions and outsource the small parts (cartridge stop, lifter, elevator, etc.) or what?

Also, am I the only one here who purchased a 590A1 that was silky smooth from the getgo?
Old 04-14-2014, 21:50   #20
aippi

The training is done by Academi (was Black Water) and by Aim Pro who is also the ones the weapons go to for repair. The parts come from Maverick Arms. I have no idea where the parts are made are even where the dang things are assembled.

With Remington the training is done by Remington at the factory or by Remington LE Instructor in field course sponsored by Police department. There are authorized repair centers but the main repair work goes to the factory. The parts come from Remington in Illion and the shotguns are built there.

I just received the eight 590A1's I took in trade for eight of my custom 870 builds. They are in far better shape then I thought duty weapons would be in. They also cycle slicker then eel snot and other then changing the mag springs I don't think they need much of anything but still have to go through them. So getting a dealers account, which no one can seem to tell me how to do, is not a big issue. I will grab a few parts from Brownells and then list these on GB. Some buyers are getting good deals as these have very little round count and spent their life in a rack in a police car. Nothing was cannibalized or tampered with in any way.

I got back from my first LE Training at the Remington Factor on a Saturday. On Monday I had a dealers account and a $7,000 parts order on the way to stock up on parts I would need to service these weapons. Yet, here I am 36 days back from the Mossberg training and still have no access to parts. Says it all I think.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer