Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:52   #1
xkalifornian

Vang comp for 870?

Just like the title says. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get the Vang comp system done to my 870 Express?
Appreciate the feedback.
xkalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 21:40   #2
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalifornian View Post
Just like the title says. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get the Vang comp system done to my 870 Express?
Appreciate the feedback.
I am not up on shotguns. Isn't the Express the bargin basement version of 870? I have one, its good. But I thought it was basic. If I was going to spend $$$ I would go for (what I think is higher quailty) version.

Course I could be wrong.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:17   #3
majette

no. it works well. i have it on mine.

Tactical Shotguns
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 16:18   #4
Buffering
The Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
I am not up on shotguns. Isn't the Express the bargin basement version of 870? I have one, its good. But I thought it was basic. If I was going to spend $$$ I would go for (what I think is higher quailty) version.

Course I could be wrong.
There's no such thing as a higher quality barrel for, say an 870P vs. an 870 Express.

The barrels are the same and the ONLY difference is the finish. Take for instance an 18.5" bead sight barrel. Put on parkerizing and it's used on the 870P. Apply the other finish and it will be assembled on an 870 Express.

I have both and there's no difference in the steel or quality or sights. It's just the finish.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus

Last edited by Buffering; 01-20-2015 at 16:19.. Reason: typos
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:51   #5
thinkfast

I have the luxury of being issued a 590A1 w/Vang Comp treatment.

But our new shotties are being ordered without the Vang Comp system. We've done timed drills with average shooters and couldn't find any statistical difference.

We're rocking low-recoil 12 gauge ammo. 1 oz slugs at 1200, 1-oz of OO at 1150. Perhaps with full powered ammo we'd notice more of a difference.

As for pattern size, the latest Federal Flite-Control stuff is keeping apple-size groups at 15 yds out of both VC and regular cylinder bore barrels.

But heck, if you've got the 'fun money' to do it, you won't [I]not[I] like it. But if things are a little tight, and a $250.00 shotgun barrel mod would take away from something else, I'd hold off.

As for the Express being a budget version, Remington is just being responsive to the market. American shooters, for the most part, want a 400.00 shotgun that will last three generations. So the money goes into robust construction and the finer points get left behind.
Old 01-21-2015, 14:36   #6
truckcop

I've got a VC 870. Several years ago when I first got it I'd say it was worth it. The barrel work made a tremendous difference in pattern size with 00 buck. I was amazed when I did a comparison with several of our issued guns vs my VC. However, as noted above, with the advent of the flite control wad ammo, those differences have evaporated. It will still make a difference if not using such ammo though. It really depends on what you're primary use of the gun is going to be. If it's a corner-leaner waiting for a response to that bump in the night, ammo choice will do just as much as the barrel mods. If it's an all-round, lots of different kind of ammo (birdshot, slugs, buck, etc.), lots of different venues (clay birds, feathered birds, three-gun, feral pigs), go for it.
truckcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 17:07   #7
Star7

I bought a full monty vangcomp 870 about ten years ago. After a number of classes using maybe 5k rds I can say he does some reliability mods that do seem helpful. Last year I took a class and watched two box stock 870s group tighter with flite control ammo versus my vc with fiocchi ammo. The flite control wad, in my opinion, makes a huge difference in on target performance with buckshot. I still like the VC but nowadays I might look to a cheaper option and spend the savings on ammo.
Star7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 15:30   #8
shooter1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkfast View Post
I have the luxury of being issued a 590A1 w/Vang Comp treatment.

But our new shotties are being ordered without the Vang Comp system. We've done timed drills with average shooters and couldn't find any statistical difference.

We're rocking low-recoil 12 gauge ammo. 1 oz slugs at 1200, 1-oz of OO at 1150. Perhaps with full powered ammo we'd notice more of a difference.

As for pattern size, the latest Federal Flite-Control stuff is keeping apple-size groups at 15 yds out of both VC and regular cylinder bore barrels.

But heck, if you've got the 'fun money' to do it, you won't [I]not[I] like it. But if things are a little tight, and a $250.00 shotgun barrel mod would take away from something else, I'd hold off.

As for the Express being a budget version, Remington is just being responsive to the market. American shooters, for the most part, want a 400.00 shotgun that will last three generations. So the money goes into robust construction and the finer points get left behind.
That's exactly what I found as far as grouping for a HD Shotgun. I have a highly reliable Model 1100 that was my hunting gun for many years. I installed a Remington factory 18 1/2" I/C barrel and shoot Federal LE132 00 Buck Reduced Recoil with Flite Control. My findings were the same as yours at 15 yds my pattern is the size of my fist. I considered a Vang Comp until I made my discovery.

Last edited by shooter1911; 01-22-2015 at 15:31..
shooter1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 19:00   #9
igor455

i have had a vang barrel for my 870 for years now. lets see since bout 1994 till now. i used it on the job till retirement in 2008. always worked great. still does. the officer now retired is still trying to buy it back
igor455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 19:21   #10
SHOOTER629
CLM Number HBK
Let's Roll !

I have a vang comp on my 870 LE, love it!
Niner's 629
Cert Glock,Sig,H&K,Colt Armorer
Instructor,Basic / Advance / tactical / Dominate shooting skills
SHOOTER629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 19:22   #11
xkalifornian

Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses. Think I might hold off for a bit.
Old 01-24-2015, 00:16   #12
hogship
It's MY Island

What is a Vang Comp?

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:17   #13
xkalifornian

hogship-you need to brush up on your googleing!

http://www.vangcomp.com/shop/install...on-your-barrel
Old 01-25-2015, 07:01   #14
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalifornian View Post
hogship-you need to brush up on your googleing!

http://www.vangcomp.com/shop/install...on-your-barrel
Thanks xkali......yeah, I suppose I should.
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:13   #15
xkalifornian

No worries mate.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:18   #16
AgentM79
Silver Membership

I've had Vang Comp on a blued 870 Police Magnum for @ 8 years now. I kept the original barrel as a spare, and had Mr. Vang build me a new "bead" barrel with both his process (ports and internal work) and an XS Big Dot tritium bead front. I have noticed the same things posted elsewhere in this thread - namely that the best modern LE shotgun ammo doesn't perform much differently from unmodified barrels.

With that said, no matter what ammo I put through the gun, it practically recoils downward. My shoulder hurts less, relative to the unmodified barrel. This is because the porting and back-boring actually do combine to reduce recoil somewhere in the vicinity of 5-10%. It's not just hype in my personal experience.

I notice the difference immediately if I run a full-power loads (like Remington Slugger or Hornady Critical Defense) through my Vang 870, and then shoot them through my Benelli M1.

I also shoot a "factory" folding-stock S&W 3000 (my favorite shotgun, actually), and it doesn't hurt me with reduced-recoil loads. Full power is a different story. I also shoot a Mossberg 500 with the Insight forend. That gun has a HUGE recoil pad, and doesn't hurt much to shoot, despite any special barrel treatment. I MIGHT send that one to Vang eventually - it's just that the cylinder-bore barrel gives lackluster downrange performance with anything except premium ammo.

Moral of my story? Everything is better with the Vang process, even if the only ammo-independent benefit is a marginal recoil reduction. The ONLY downside I've seen is that the ports will pick up the fouling as you clean the barrel. That adds another step to the cleaning process, which isn't a big deal.
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote