Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-15-2015, 21:42   #1
etcetera

Is it OK to load a round through the ejection port?

I hear on sidearms, loading a round through the ejection port and not from a magazine can damage the extractor.

Here we are talking about Remington Versa Max Tactical.

Last edited by etcetera; 04-15-2015 at 21:43..
etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 21:44   #2
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Loading a shotgun thru the ejection port is ok. Won't do any damage to a shotgun. The action is the same, whether you pump it or a auto-loader does it upon firing.

Old 04-15-2015, 21:47   #3
etcetera

I am talking about putting a round in the chamber and then dropping a bolt on it. Not stripping it from the magazine.
Old 04-15-2015, 22:29   #4
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcetera View Post
I am talking about putting a round in the chamber and then dropping a bolt on it. Not stripping it from the magazine.
That's what he said. Yes, OK to load through the ejection port.
Old 04-15-2015, 22:43   #5
USMC03Grunt

Nope, no problems at all. Matter of fact, that's kind of the standard reloading method should you run a gun dry. Run the pump back, (or on an auto like say a Benelli, the bolt locks back automatically) get a shell into the chamber, run the pump forward (or depress the bolt release) then continue loading the magazine. It's about economy of motion and getting an empty gun back in the fight as fast as possible. If you sent the bolt/pump forward, loaded a round into the magazine, cycled the bolt/pump to load a round into the chamber, it's wasted movement and takes precious time.
Another thing to consider is taking a look at your extractor. In something like a 1911 where releasing the slide on a chambered round is a bad thing, it's also because the extractor is a piece of spring steel that wasn't designed to work like that. In extractors with a plunger and spring, like most shotguns and the M-16 to name a couple, there's no problem with loading a round in this manner. Totally different designs at work here.
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:25   #6
etcetera

Ideally, you never want to let your 12 gauge run dry.

But if I do, I push the bolt release button, then load the magazine (8 rounds). Then I pull the bolt back halfway, put one on the carrier (ghost-loading) and at the same time, stick one in the chamber. Then release the bolt, slowly.

I haven't found the ghost-loading to be 100% reliable with 2.75" shells (but does work with 3" shells), so you can skip the ghost loading part.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:30   #7
vafish

Quote:
Ideally, you never want to let your 12 gauge run dry.

But if I do, I push the bolt release button, then load the magazine (8 rounds). Then I pull the bolt back halfway, put one on the carrier (ghost-loading) and at the same time, stick one in the chamber. Then release the bolt, slowly.

I haven't found the ghost-loading to be 100% reliable with 2.75" shells (but does work with 3" shells), so you can skip the ghost loading part.
You do that when your shotgun runs dry?

As in you are shooting your gun, it is suddenly empty, you need to get it back up and running and you take the time to put 8 rounds in the magazine and ghost load it?

If your gun runs out of ammo while you are in a shoot out you need to get lead on target as fast as possible. With most pump or semi auto shotguns that means drop a round in the chamber and get the gun back on target with one shot before your attacker can kill you.

Back to your original question, there is no problem dropping a round into the open chamber and closing the action on a pump action or semi auto shotgun.

They do not have controlled round feeding, ie the extractor does not slip over the rim of the shell as it comes up out of the magazine like a semi auto handgun. They have a push round feeding where the extractor is designed to jump over the rim. And yes the extractors do occasionally need to be replaced.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 04-16-2015 at 05:37..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:35   #8
etcetera

No, I made it clear that ghost-loading isn't 100% reliable so I stopped ghost-loading under any circumstances.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:41   #9
vafish

Quote:
Your shotgun does not "strip it from the magazine"

The shell interrupter releases one shell, it goes flying back onto the lifter, the lifter raises up and the bolt slams it into the chamber.

Dropping a shell into the action follows the same process, with the exception of the interrupter releasing it from the magazine.

It is very different from the way a round is stripped from the magazine of a handgun.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:36   #10
etcetera

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Your shotgun does not "strip it from the magazine"

The shell interrupter releases one shell, it goes flying back onto the lifter, the lifter raises up and the bolt slams it into the chamber.

Dropping a shell into the action follows the same process, with the exception of the interrupter releasing it from the magazine.

It is very different from the way a round is stripped from the magazine of a handgun.
good to know.