GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-14-2014, 00:27   #1
Corksil

Need a lockable gun sock (rem 870 tactical)! Plz advise!

Hey glockers, long time lurker, not much of a poster.

Have remmington 870 tactical, bought it months ago, tore it down and lubed everything like crazy to prevent rust in my humid climate.

Local laws dictate that a firearm may only be legally transported in a "commercially available locking case" -- called the local PD, spoke with a very nice lady who informed me of the appropriate laws in regards to taking my remmington 870 tactical to the local firing range.

Looking for a lockable gun sock. It doesn't have to be a hard case, just something that hides the firearm from sight, and is capable of being locked with a key.

I ride a motorcycle as primary means of transportation, so a trip to the range would entail this 870 sticking out of a backpack. Looking for locking gun sock that will satisfy legal transportation requirements. What kind of stuff is on the market these days?

So sad, bought this remmington months ago, but haven't fired it yet as I don't have a legal means of transporting it to the local firing range. Please help me figure this out.

Any help is much appreciated!
Corksil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:24   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

WalMart, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Dicks, Sports Authority.......all have cases.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:46   #3
Bren
NRA Life Member

You need more than a "locking gun sock" (which I don't recall ever having seen) - you need to move to America.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:08   #4
Tvov

I really don't think any police or judge would consider a "gun sock" to be a "lockable case".

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:21   #5
Walter Bishop

You could just buy a soft canvas case and use a small padlock. Most of these have rings at the ends and the zipper usually has a hole in it. Run the padlock through both of these holes and it's locked as well as can be expected with a soft side case.

Last edited by Walter Bishop; 09-14-2014 at 08:23..
Walter Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:27   #6
F106 Fan

First of all, read the laws yourself. That nice lady isn't going to be your codefendant! Check out a gun-owners association in your state. We have a pretty good one in California. Not that it helps...

I would seriously give up on the notion of transporting anything other than a handgun on a motorcycle. And then only in a hard sided, locked, saddle bag.

In California, we have a locked, hard sided, case requirement for transporting assault rifles (AR-15, etc) but it doesn't apply to other kinds of rifles which can be carried in unlocked soft cases. That's exactly what I used until I bought a truck with a hard cover over the bed. Now, I consider the entire bed to be a lockable case.

I used to use padlocks on my soft-sided range bag to secure the handguns. I was never convinced that it was legal since I carried it under the fiber cover in the back of an SUV, but probably. Now I have no question in my mind.

All firearms are locked in the bed of my truck and it's going to take Probable Cause to look in there.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 09-14-2014 at 10:28..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 00:50   #7
Corksil

Please be assured, I've researched the laws and know exactly what type of product I am looking for.

I don't have a tape measure handy at the moment, but I'm looking for a 30" stretchy fabric sock that I can thread my gun lock through.

It seems that every time I buy something, it falls apart and I have to fix it. Doesn't anyone make quality products anymore?
Corksil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:02   #8
X-ray 4N6

If you are hell-bent on a sock, then just get the smallest padlock you can and use it like a sausage string.
X-ray 4N6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:50   #9
mr00jimbo

What country're you in? In Canada, a gun like an 870 just has to be unloaded for transport. Doesn't say anything about being in a case...though it'd be WISE to have one.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:52   #10
Buffering
The Cooler

There's no consistency among the states however, at the very least, no state that I'm aware of says that a lockable hard case is unacceptable. If you travel or just want peace of mind, as well as the utmost in weapon protection, then perhaps it's an upfront investment well worth making. At least that's how I'd look at the analysis.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 19:37   #11
Leigh

Lay down a bike and a long gun (any long gun) weakly secured in a soft fabric "sock" (lockable or otherwise) can become toast.

How about a soft, padded case that is short enough to break the weapon down (the barrel is easily removed from the receiver) and stored securely?

I understand "what" you want but I cannot understand "why" you would choose a flimsy gun sock to transport a firearm.

No offense intended.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 21:03   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I do not see anyway for you to comply with your local laws and ride a motorcycle. The soft cases I have seen with a long zipper and shoulder strap would be possible, but I don't think any of the ones I have lock.

The best solution would be to find a friend with a car, but....

I would call back and ask if a trigger lock or cable lock would be a sufficient lock and then get a long zippered case with strap.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:13   #13
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

OP.....go to a music store and buy a guitar "gig bag"
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:05   #14
Booker

Would a regular gun sock work if you put some tarp grommets at the bottom to put a padlock on?
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:11   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
Would a regular gun sock work if you put some tarp grommets at the bottom to put a padlock on?
No, If I understand the letter of the law because it is not commercially available.
Old 09-17-2014, 15:40   #16
cloudbuster

If I might ask the original poster, what is your actual location? If we knew, perhaps someone familiar with the local laws or who has dealt with the same restrictions might have some advice.
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 17:32   #17
F106 Fan

One objection I can see for the gun sock approach is that the firearm can be discharged without bothering to open up the carry case (soft or hard). Depending on how stretchy it is, it might even be possible to cycle the gun.

Here is a gun sock with a drawstring that is purported to meet the legal requirements for 'locking':

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...k-up?a=1581667

I would like to know on what planet this thing meets the requirements. I'm pretty sure California isn't going to buy it!

Nevertheless, these things are all over Google. Search for 'lockable gun sock'

Richard
Old 09-21-2014, 13:56   #18
Z71bill

Take the barrel off - lay the two pieces side by side - measure it - buy a locking case that holds both pieces.

You will attract a lot less attention this way - and it is not that hard to break down an 870 - which you may want to do after shooting it anyway.

If you ever do get pulled over - the officer may feel less threatened by a gun with the barrel removed.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:33   #19
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Wow, that is screwy.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote