Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-10-2014, 15:35   #1
aippi

MIM parts.

The issue of MIM Extractors in the 870 Express comes up often. People want to upgrade to the forged Extractor. I have even seen post on these forums where a guy says he bought the 870 Police because he doesn't want any MIM parts on his gun. Sorry guy, there are MIM parts in every 870 so you reason for buying the Police model was incorrect.
There are MIM parts in about every weapon we buy today. Here is list of what is most likely MIM on your favorite gun.
Hammer, Trigger, Front/Rear Sight, Safety lever, Catch Barrel, Plate Body, Extractor, Ejector, Disconnector, Sleeve Sight Stabilizer, Barrel Lock, Trigger Guard Sear, Locking Insert Bolt, Lever, Take Down Lever, Bolt Catch, safety levers, Slide Stop, Ambi-Safety, Grip Safety, Plunger tube and many more Componets.
Indo-MIM makes over 500 MIM parts that many US manufacturers use. So the chance that a modern gun you have bought in the past few years does not have some MIM parts is slim to none.
So to complain about a MIM part in an 870 seems silly to me when they are in about every modern firearm made today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 19:15   #2
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I agree about complaining part. It would be wise to make an educated decision and not to go into denial about the reality that we facing. At the same time I don't think that there is anything wrong with the people that are willing to upgrade the parts. MIM is the fact of life, because we as the buyers (in general) refuse to pay more these days. Don't get me wrong. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, just sharing my impression about the market. We want all and we want it cheap. It's not only about the firearms. I'm fine with the idea of buying something and considering some kind of upgrade in terms of parts soon. That's why I'm sticking with popular firearm models. If I don't want the MIM to start with I can always buy older gun, like...1954 Winchester 12 for example

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 22:21   #3
Inebriated

I've yet to have a MIM part fail. Until then, I will continue to not care about it.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:39   #4
peng

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
The issue of MIM Extractors in the 870 Express comes up often. People want to upgrade to the forged Extractor. I have even seen post on these forums where a guy says he bought the 870 Police because he doesn't want any MIM parts on his gun. Sorry guy, there are MIM parts in every 870 so you reason for buying the Police model was incorrect.
There are MIM parts in about every weapon we buy today. Here is list of what is most likely MIM on your favorite gun.
Hammer, Trigger, Front/Rear Sight, Safety lever, Catch Barrel, Plate Body, Extractor, Ejector, Disconnector, Sleeve Sight Stabilizer, Barrel Lock, Trigger Guard Sear, Locking Insert Bolt, Lever, Take Down Lever, Bolt Catch, safety levers, Slide Stop, Ambi-Safety, Grip Safety, Plunger tube and many more Componets.
Indo-MIM makes over 500 MIM parts that many US manufacturers use. So the chance that a modern gun you have bought in the past few years does not have some MIM parts is slim to none.
So to complain about a MIM part in an 870 seems silly to me when they are in about every modern firearm made today.
Agree. It all comes to down to metallurgy and mechanical properties, which few folks understand.

If I owned a firearms company, I would go to a test house, have them design a load/cycling test for each component and test to failure MIM vs milled or forged to see the actual differences if any.

Maybe its been done already. Myths die hard sometimes.
peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 13:10   #5
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by peng View Post
Agree. It all comes to down to metallurgy and mechanical properties, which few folks understand.

If I owned a firearms company, I would go to a test house, have them design a load/cycling test for each component and test to failure MIM vs milled or forged to see the actual differences if any.

Maybe its been done already. Myths die hard sometimes.
I don't know him personally but I've read the opinion of an actual metallurgist who is on an Ohio firearms forum I go to as well.

His very in depth opinion boiled down was that MIM parts weren't a problem as long as the process was done properly. Aside from bad design (Which can kill anything) the only big issue was if an air bubble was left inside it, but it's easy to get rid of those basically in the same way you do when baking a cake. Just shake it while its still molten.

I've never once seen a problem first hand caused by a MIM part. But that's just me.
Old 07-11-2014, 16:12   #6
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Millions of people quite literally trust their lives to MIM parts every day of the week when they get in their cars and drive. The number of MIM parts in the brake system alone is amazing.

Get a grip.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 16:16   #7
jakebrake
cracker

folks, the whole "the sky is falling" thing got to m.i.m.

don't worry, it'll be twinkies, e- cigarettes, or canned salmon next.

I've seen one m.i.m. part fail. it was a firing pin in a gsg 1911.

not because it's m.i.m., because it's g.s.g.
Old 07-11-2014, 16:51   #8
mr00jimbo

Out of curiosity though, which parts on the Police are MIM? Which parts on the Express are MIM?
Old 07-11-2014, 18:05   #9
aippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
Out of curiosity though, which parts on the Police are MIM? Which parts on the Express are MIM?
In all 870's: Trigger, Sear, Ejector, Sight bases and sights. There are a couple more that I forgot for sure so will not mention till I am sure.

The Police has a little black spring that is a model 1100 carrier latch spring and it is used as the carrier dog follower spring. A silver carrier dog follower spring is used in all other models. The silver one cost $4.12 and the black on used in the Police cost $4.12. If the black one is so much better and cost the same why is it not used in all 870's? The answer is Marketing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote