Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-16-2014, 00:49   #1
Andy W

Mossberg 930 SPX

So the Mossberg 930 SPX looks like a really interesting gun and I would definitely get one if I was confident it would at least be reliable with full power loads. A lot of people that have them really like them but then there are some bad reports Anyone have experience with them?
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:52   #2
Hedo1

I own one and would not recommend it. It's about 95% reliable. The 95% of the time it runs great I love it. Points well, eats recoil, nice trigger. The other 5% of the time it just annoys the heck out of me. I do like the sights it came with a lot.

Mine does not shoot Federal 00 or 1 buck with any sort of reliability in the tactical FC wad configuration. Shoots the Federal Full Power 00 just fine. Likes Ranger tactical and Winchester PDX. Hit or miss with anything else. No problem shooting slugs and with those sights you can make head shots at 50Y with no problem. B27 hits at 100Y with slugs COM are also not a stretch for the 930spx.

Mossberg customer service is invisible. I sent mine back two weeks after purchasing to fix failure to feed issues and they just about blamed me for it. I had about 50 rds thru it at the time. Very difficult to deal with.

Mine was made in 2012. Don't know if they fixed the issues or not.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:14   #3
XDMUSER

Had a friend buy one recently and got to shoot it. I was pleasantly surprised how accurate and reliable it was. He bought it, stripped it down and thoroughly cleaned and lubed it. We took it to the range and ran everything under the son through it with no failures what so ever. We even staggered different rounds and still no issues. I had my doubts but after 400 rounds of various ammo , a lot fired by me through it. I would not hesitate to recommend it. Between his 930 and my VEPR many things were vaporized that day at the range! I do however not recommend shooting that much 12g in one range trip... I still flinch a little when I think about that day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited by XDMUSER; 08-16-2014 at 09:16..
XDMUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:50   #4
F_G

I've always been somewhat of a Benelli guy in the semi-auto realm. I bought a 930SPX about a year and half ago to give it a try. I really liked the ergos and sights, but quality control was lacking.

It shipped with a magazine spring that was to long and wouldn't allow full capacity. I contacted Mossberg and they sent me another spring, to long. Called again explained the problem, they said no problem, sent another one, yep, to long. Tried a third time, to long. Another member here sent me an extra he had, worked perfect.

One of the screws on the rail was stripped, fixed that myself with a Heli-coil.

Last straw was when the plastic transfer bar broke and locked up the gun. Mossberg replaced it, I never fired it again and sold it.

It seemed to be pretty reliable, would hiccup occassionally, but that could have been ammo caused.

Was not real accurate with slugs. My M1 Super 90 will put slugs (just about any manufacturer) in a paper plate at 100 yards. The 930 would not, about 75 yards was it's limit.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 22:31   #5
kasper7106

My SPX has been 100% through roughly 1000 rounds. 60% low brass target loads and 40% 00 buck, #4 buck and slugs. I like the gun so well I bought the 930 waterfowl, its been 100% as well
kasper7106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 20:02   #6
Chevyjeep22

Any one know where to get a replacement stock, I am not a fan of the one it came with. I have the Black-water version..
Chevyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 20:30   #7
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyjeep22 View Post
Any one know where to get a replacement stock, I am not a fan of the one it came with. I have the Black-water version..
I'm looking for a straight one also. Haven't found anywhere that carries them. Probably have to order direct from Mossberg.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 18:17   #8
Andy W

Yeah I have heard enough bad reports to keep me from wanting to put down the money on one. If I'm gonna spend that kinda money on a shotgun, I could get a Remington 870P. Or an 870 express and deck it out exactly how I want and still have some money leftover for shells.
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 18:27   #9
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership

I have about 500 rounds thru mine using slugs, low and high brass. Not one failure.
I would buy again.
stopatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 19:40   #10
bigbrother1984

I have been shooting mine every month in 3-gun matches for roughly 3 years. I have roughly 3600 rounds thru it and I have NEVER had a malfunction.

There are plenty of stories out there about others having issues, but I have not had any.
bigbrother1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 19:43   #11
cciman

Which stocks do you guys have? I have the straight stock and I'm willing to trade for the pistol grip. PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I'm looking for a straight one also. Haven't found anywhere that carries them. Probably have to order direct from Mossberg.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 19:46   #12
cciman

If you read the internet troubled posts on Glocks and Taurus, you would think they malfunction all over the place. yet mine function fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother1984 View Post
I have been shooting mine every month in 3-gun matches for roughly 3 years. I have roughly 3600 rounds thru it and I have NEVER had a malfunction.

There are plenty of stories out there about others having issues, but I have not had any.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote