SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:01   #1
TheHighwayman

Send a message via AIM to TheHighwayman
Chaplain Aide

Just a quick question. I am considering multiple MOS' for my upcoming enlistment in the National Guard. The one at the forefront is the Chaplain Aide (56M). Does anyone know if a soldier's religious preferance plays a role in his assignment. ie I am a Protestant, could I be assigned to a Jewish or Catholic chaplain?? If so assigned I would serve to the best of my abilities, but would be more comfortable with a Protestant Chaplain, even if he is not of my denomination.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07   #2
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

a chaplain assistants (56M) religious preferences do NOT play a role in they're assignment. chaplain assistants are trained to work w/ any of the six army recognized religions. you will work w/ whatever chaplain you're assigned to (ie you're protestant, you COULD be assigned to a jewish chaplain). as always, NEEDS OF THE ARMY superceed your comfort (you will begin to see a trend).
:patriot:

Last edited by CPT_CRUNCH; 09-22-2008 at 10:17..
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:32   #3
TheHighwayman

Ok. I thought as much. It doesn't take it off of the list od MOS's I am thinking of. Just need to think and pray about it more before making my decision.
Old 09-22-2008, 13:44   #4
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

what else are you considering. the army need signal MOS's BAD. great training and big opportunities when you get out (there's my promo).
Old 09-22-2008, 20:08   #5
TheHighwayman

I am also considering 98G, 31B and 21B. I was mainly interested in 98G due to the language training. (I already took the exam and qualified for Arabic.) However, in learning about the details of the job I realized it is going to be stupidly boring desk work.

My problem is that I want a job which will make use of my nearly complete B.S. and have some element of excitement. I wanted to do OCS, but I am 6 credits shy at the moment and a friend, who is an E-4, has convinced me its better to enlist first so I will have more experience before I make 2LT.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:53   #6
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

it kinda depends on what you want to eventually do. you'll have overall army experience and thats always good. i will tell you that all three of those MOS's will allow you plenty of sun and fun in iraq (afghanistan). especially if you have the arabic. mp's are gone all the time, same w/ engineers.
if i had to do it all again i would have joined the guard while i was in rotc. that way i would have been enlisted for awhile. but no complaints here. it's a good life, sucks sometimes but then again what doesnt? but i wouldnt change my path at all i like where its gotten me.
also if you enlist first you'll get a little more money when you become an officer. but do some research. its not as easy to get into ocs as people think. you may want to look into rotc if you're already in college (and they have a rotc program). i dont know how late you can join (since you only need 6 credits). but its worth looking into.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:22   #7
matsig

Correct me if I misremember................

Isn't the Chaplins Aide job pretty much like a General's Aide job?
I thought I remembered it being an adminstrator/bodyguard type of job.
matsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 21:26   #8
KG Dad
Lead by Example

Just make sure that you are a sharpshooter. Unlike the docs and nurses who can defend patients and themselves (but not attack), chaplains cannot carry any weapons whatsover. You are the protection.
Old 10-11-2008, 21:39   #9
Biscuitsjam

Your friend is correct to say that the best officers are often prior enlisted. However, it is possible to be a good officer without that experience.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 00:29   #10
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
As an aid or assistant to a chaplain, you will assigned where they place you, regardless of religious preference; and you are the protection for a chaplain, as they are not to carry firearms. Good luck in your career decision. If you can hang in there and get your college credits out of the way before going in, you can go officer. ROTC is excellent for that. However, there is nothing wrong with being an enlisted man. You serve well as an enlisted man, and gain a W.O. spot later, you could be tagged to be a commissioned officer any way after awhile, according to the needs of the Army. Also, I have known more than one senior enlisted who had a bachelors degree.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:33   #11
eisman
CLM Number 127
ARGH!

a. Go see a recuiter, tell him you'll finish those 6 units next semester and go in as an officer. If you don't it will be 4 years (minimum) before you will be able to change. Don't waste them. Let the Army pay for you to finish your degree.

b. Go Intel as an analyst or interp. There's a huge demand and you can get the promotions. If you don't do that go Civil Affairs. Either way you'll be getting out into the real thing more than any of the other MOS's you listed.

Most young officers spend their early years doing ***** jobs, Intel and CA guys go out in the field with the bad guys right away. You want to be telling how you spent four years filling out paperwork or stories about lugging $250,000 aroung the hills of Kurdistan paying off the local boys?

c. Stay out of the NG. You speak a top three language, go where it will make you money for life! Intel and CA officers are getting $200,000/yr from firms when they get out. Stay in and leave at 20 and you'll be a Democrats tax target. (No kidding. I can name half a dozen LTC's, and several COL and or GO's that did that. They all pull down $500+k/yr and will never have to work after they retire (at 50).)

d. Chaplains Assitant IS stupidly booring work. They also are in short supply and rotate a lot. If you want to get out and do something this is not the MOS for you.

e. The NG is THE WORST at allowing advancement! You'll see E-4's and E-5's with 20 years in because it's a State system, and they didn't find someone who could help them get promoted.

Last edited by eisman; 11-22-2008 at 07:36..
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote