SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2002, 17:55   #1
Hokie3

Send a message via AIM to Hokie3

Looking to buy a new bow......

and since I'm not aware of any that Glock makes, I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. Let me know what your favorites are and what you've heard about others. Thanks!
Hokie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 18:12   #2
Pseudochron
Computer Nerd

Don't know too much about bows myself but I know where you can find out a lot of info fast.

http://assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/forumd...000&LastLogin=

Thats a link for the bow forum over at assaultweb. Lots of threads running on the subject.

Btw: How are things down in Blacksburg. I used to live down there for a bit before I transferred colleges back up north. Pretty neat area, I miss having the appalachian trail and the national forests so close. I would always go hiking up into the mountains every weekend when I was down there.
Old 07-28-2002, 20:04   #3
justice

i personally have several bows-but have always been a supporter of the fred bear company-i hunt with one of the following:

fred bear epic extreme-32" axle to axle,83lbs draw weight,fingers,no stabilizer-two sets of string silencers-sims split limb vibration dampeners-no sights (totally instinctive)

jennings buckmaster g2-same specs

jennings apex-38" axle to axle-92lbs draw weight-otherwise same specs

fred bear kodiak "a" handle take down recurve-65lbs draw weight

all bows shot with magnus 2 blade broad heads-hand sharpened with mill bastard file-gold tip hunter carbon shafts (75-95lb spine)
5" shield cut barred feathers-ez eye white cresting

all are absolutely devestating-quitest and most peaceful death you could bring to a game animal-just like going to sleep.

most improtant factor of all-shoot lots and lots-i shoot every other day year round-enjoy
Old 07-28-2002, 22:29   #4
method

What are you looking for? Compound, long, or recurve? Fingers or release?
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 07:48   #5
TScottW99
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TScottW99
Whitetail outfitters

i see your from tech land ;Q LOL, have you checked out Whitetail Outfitters right outside C'Burg? They carry Matthews which are great bows! Right now i'm shooting a Pearson and it has served me very well. With a bow it comes down to the same as a handgun... what your comfortable and confident with. Though I can't see you going wrong with a Matthews The guys at Whitetail Outfitters are very helpful and friendly also.

- Dale Carnegie
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 08:29   #6
Hokie3

I'm definetly looking for a compound bow and will be shooting with a release. I have an old Hoyt that I used when I was younger, but I've far outgrown it and actually have not shot at all in 4 or 5 years. I've actually been looking a lot at Mathews but I'm not sure that I'll have that much money to spend. I've read that MSRP is $699. I'm in Chesapeake, VA for the summer and will be going to a local Archery shop here to check on the Mathews this evening.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:09   #7
badbilly429

Send a message via AIM to badbilly429 Send a message via Yahoo to badbilly429

mathews solo cam.

sq2 or legacy

Member NRA-Thank You Sidearmor
.40 S&W club Member # 429
Sub Club Member # 429
Hunting, Fishing, Camping #429
Blade Runners #429
Big Dawgs Club # 2069

-<Member of the PERFECT WORLD Charter>-
badbilly429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 16:01   #8
Hokie3

Went to check out the bows today at a local shop and found that the Mathews Legacy cost $679. I called Whietail Outfitters and they wanted $569. I guess I'll be waiting until I get back to school to get the new bow. That's only a couple of weeks away so I think I can handle it. TScottW99, do they have an indoor range anywhere in the NRV? I'm specifically looking for a place where I can shoot my bow and get help tuning it. One of the biggest problems I had with my old bow was that it would shoot field points straight but the broadheads were horrible. I want to make sure I don't have that problem again. Thanks, Rob
Old 07-30-2002, 18:30   #9
method

Hokie-- Mathews does make an awesome bow, but find out for yourself. Try to find a shop where you can shoot different bows and find out. There's some very sweet older compounds out there as well. I have a 12 year old (or so) Hoyt ProVantage Impulse that's still a great shooter. I paid $170 back in the day. It's fairly low tech, save the Fast Flite string and cables, but very robust, and shoots better than the shooter is capable of. Learn how to tune a bow yourself, check out www.eastonarchery.com, or check out some books somewhere.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 13:42   #10
TScottW99
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TScottW99
Hokie3,
There used to be a place in Dublin but not sure if they are still open or not. The guys at Whitetail will help you with the tunning and bow setup. You also might want to check Buck Mountain Outfitters in Roanoke (the old Trebark store) they have an indoor range for tunning the bow and setting it up.

- Dale Carnegie
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 14:04   #11
Hokie3

TScottW99,
I actually called Bryansteens in Roanoke and so far they are the cheapest for the Legacy($554). They too have one lane that they use to help people set up their bows. They seemed very nice on the phone so I think I may give them a try when I get back to school. I'll look in to Buck Mountain Outfitters and see how they compare to the other two. Thanks everyone for your help!

-Rob
Old 07-31-2002, 17:14   #12
TriggerTripper

I too drool over the Mathews. Watch ebay and it won't be long before you can save yourself a couple hundred bucks on nice used setup, but you absolutly must buy one at your draw length as they just aren't adjustable. A good bow can go for a long time, some folks don't like to buy used and that's understandable, but if you be carefull and take your time waiting for the right deal you could save yourself a chunk of change.
Old 08-01-2002, 15:29   #13
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Are you on this board because you are open-minded enough to realize that Glock is a cutting-edge company that makes a darn good pistol even though they look, feel, and shoot different.

If yes...

Then you may want to consider a Oneida BlackEagle bow.

http://www.oneidaeaglebows.com/home.htm

Oneida is to the bow world what Glock is to the pistol world.
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 00:46   #14
rfb45colt
safe-cracker

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerTripper
I too drool over the Mathews. Watch ebay and it won't be long before you can save yourself a couple hundred bucks on nice used setup, but you absolutly must buy one at your draw length as they just aren't adjustable.
Yes they are... but it's not a "do-it-yourself" project if you need more than a 1/2". You can change the draw length on a Mathews by 1/2" yourself, but any more than that you must replace the cam. The cams are what determines drawlength, and it can be lengthened or shortened by replacing the cam with one set for a differant draw length. At least on my Mathews Z-Max (1998 model) that's the case, cuz I did it... lenghtened my draw from 29" to 31" with a new cam. I got the last lefthanded Mathews in my area, and it was a 29" draw (do-it-yourself adjustable from 28 1/2 - 29 1/2"). I needed much more, and the archery shop owner had spare cams of differant draw lengths, and swapped 'em for me to get the maximum draw for my longer than normal arms. He did some tweaking here and there, and got the draw length up to 31 1/2", even though Mathews says 30 1/2" is max.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:39   #15
Glock You!

The Matthews are awesome bows. I shoot a Hoyt magnatec with a redline cam and it really is a pretty good bow. Hoyt makes some terrific bows and anybody who watched the Great Outdoor Games on ESPN saw that 3 of the top 4 shooters were shootin Hoyt bows (the other was a Matthews)including the champion and runner-up. I think $550 is a great price on the Matthews but would recommend following some of the earlier advice and going to a full service bow shop where you can shoot the Matthews and try a Hoyt also. Pick the bow you feel most comfortable with and shoot the best.
Glock You! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 19:47   #16
paper killer
NRA Member

Good bows for not too much money are PSE. Also good are the Martin brand.
Rimfire Club #1027
Wheelhouse Club #1027
40 S&W Club #2710
paper killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 21:06   #17
JitsuGuy

Send a message via AIM to JitsuGuy
I've got a PSE Thunderbolt LC and LOVE it! It's in my opinion the best bang for the buck compound bow out there. It's IBO rating is 300fps, 37" ATA (axle to axle) and around 3lbs 9oz. You can't go wrong with PSE that's for sure. If you ever need assistance their customer service is tops. Check out www.pse-archery.com. Many friendly people there on their forum , including me to answer any questions you have. There are MANY good bows out there and just like someone said, shoot a few if you can before you buy and see what works for you. Good huntin!

Jits

WWW.SERRAJITSU.COM
<><
JitsuGuy is offline   Reply With Quote