Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:03   #1
svilla

Any GT'ers at Cannon AFB NM

Yeah I got the good news 2 weeks ago, I got selected for cannon. So in an attempt to shine this turd, where are the good places for hunting and what should I know about concealed carry off base, and open carry off base? And where should I look to buy a house.

Thanks in advance fella's.
svilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:11   #2
Ralff

You can go to www.usacarry.com and find out what the laws are concerning CCW.

There is always www.afcrossroads.com for local area info. The base is near Clovis I want to say. I think it's also a fighter wing.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:27   #3
taco101
Son o the hound

Not at Cannon but about 80 miles SE. Open carry in NM is leagal.(although as easy as it is to get a CCW permit...why.)

You can carry concealed without permit on your property...your vehicle is your property.

CCW permits are easy to obtain.

Hunting is all around you. The mountains are about 150 miles away and hold a bunch of elk, deer, bear, and turkey. Varmint hunting is the mutts nutts! We call coyotes a bunch. Prairie dogs are plentiful...if you get an in on private land....(like shooting the coyotes off of their land.) Around the Pecos river is feral hog/pig hunting year round without a license.

Fishing is OK at Lake Sumner and Conchas. The catfishing on the Pecos is OK. Lubbock and Amarillo aren't too far away for bigger cities.

Skiing is good to great at Ski Apache.

Best o' luck!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:16   #4
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by svilla View Post
Yeah I got the good news 2 weeks ago, I got selected for cannon. So in an attempt to shine this turd, where are the good places for hunting and what should I know about concealed carry off base, and open carry off base? And where should I look to buy a house.

Thanks in advance fella's.
I just heard I may go to a B-52 base. Sucks for the both of us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000, LMT MRP CQB, Ruger 10/22
crazypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 14:29   #5
svilla

Quote:
I just heard I may go to a B-52 base. Sucks for the both of us.
I feel your pain brother. What do you fly? I have been a Crew chief on
C-130's going on 13 years now. Right now I am doing A/R and crash recovery at Hurlburt fld.

I also have a PET code for MC130-H's that is how I got this assingment, not by rank, SEI, or TOS like AFI 36-2110 say's I'm suppose to. It is such a crock I only have 3 years TOS, my counter part has 7 years.

Quote:
I think it's also a fighter wing.
Not any more it is an AFSOC asset now, AFSOC wants Melrose range in a bad way. Should be the primere AFSOC base by 2013
svilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 15:00   #6
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

I'm not an AF pilot. I'm a jet engine mechanic. One of the options is Holloman AFB. I didn't know Cannon was switching roles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 09-28-2008, 19:20   #7
finz50

Send a message via AIM to finz50
I lost 3 years of my life at that **** hole you're going too.....From Hurlburt to Cannon......yikes! For hunting if you head towards Portales and drive about 15 miles past ENMU their used to be a heard of pronghorn that lived a few hundred yards to the right of the highway (hwy 70 I think). Plenty of mule deer near the old bomb dump on base too. A lot of muleys at Capitan (a mountain near Riudoso). Some good elk hunting at Cloudcroft (near Holloman). Good luck man and try not to go jump off a bridge....LOL.
Old 09-28-2008, 21:14   #8
Ralff

Hey, at least it's not Minot.
Old 09-28-2008, 21:45   #9
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralff View Post
Hey, at least it's not Minot.
That's another they're trying to send me.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:22   #10
Ralff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypilot View Post
That's another they're trying to send me.

Just make sure there aren't any nukes on your plane before you take off.

Last edited by Ralff; 09-29-2008 at 06:25..
Old 10-10-2008, 06:15   #11
gamingoddess

Send a message via AIM to gamingoddess Send a message via MSN to gamingoddess Send a message via Yahoo to gamingoddess
Cannon

I'm actually stationed in Cannon AFB right now (have been for almost 3 years). It's really not that bad of a place once you get the hang of it. There is a great shooting range within minutes of downtown too (if you want to get some practice in). As for concealed carry, I took the class and got my license in exactly 3 months. Class was easy and so was the paperwork, you just need to make the effort to send it in yourself. It is an open carry state, but I don't see anyone actually practice it. The gun laws are very loose over here compared to where I grew up (New England) so I'm loving it.

As for houses, they are relatively low in my opinion. I am off-base in an apartment and rent for me a very cheap (of course we don't get much BAH though).
gamingoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:26   #12
Ralff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingoddess View Post
I'm actually stationed in Cannon AFB right now (have been for almost 3 years). It's really not that bad of a place once you get the hang of it. There is a great shooting range within minutes of downtown too (if you want to get some practice in). As for concealed carry, I took the class and got my license in exactly 3 months. Class was easy and so was the paperwork, you just need to make the effort to send it in yourself. It is an open carry state, but I don't see anyone actually practice it. The gun laws are very loose over here compared to where I grew up (New England) so I'm loving it.

As for houses, they are relatively low in my opinion. I am off-base in an apartment and rent for me a very cheap (of course we don't get much BAH though).

What is the climate/land there like? Rocky and sandy? I've always wanted to visit Clovis for some reason but it's so far away that I would fly over it before I would drive through it.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:57   #13
gamingoddess

Send a message via AIM to gamingoddess Send a message via MSN to gamingoddess Send a message via Yahoo to gamingoddess
Weather

Quote:
What is the climate/land there like? Rocky and sandy? I've always wanted to visit Clovis for some reason but it's so far away that I would fly over it before I would drive through it.
Hmmm...dry, practically no humidity, and usually sunny. The downside is the constant barrage of winds from noontime to around 4-5 o'clock. There's pretty much nothing to stop the winds because of the serious lack of nature to block it. You get used to it and using sandbags when shooting matches.

I guess you can call it sandy...you are pretty much surrounded by a couple of shrubs and a lot of dirt. Most people who move here from busier bases tend to hate it at first because there is virtually no nightlife (if you don't seek it) and gigantic malls and stores (again unless you are willing to drive long miles to seek it).

I don't mind driving 100+ miles though so I'm not complaining. The folks here are very military friendly and once you get to know them (and the folks from nearby Portales) there is always something to do....at least if you like shooting.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:54   #14
Ralff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingoddess View Post
Hmmm...dry, practically no humidity, and usually sunny. The downside is the constant barrage of winds from noontime to around 4-5 o'clock. There's pretty much nothing to stop the winds because of the serious lack of nature to block it. You get used to it and using sandbags when shooting matches.

I guess you can call it sandy...you are pretty much surrounded by a couple of shrubs and a lot of dirt. Most people who move here from busier bases tend to hate it at first because there is virtually no nightlife (if you don't seek it) and gigantic malls and stores (again unless you are willing to drive long miles to seek it).

I don't mind driving 100+ miles though so I'm not complaining. The folks here are very military friendly and once you get to know them (and the folks from nearby Portales) there is always something to do....at least if you like shooting.

Sounds a lot like San Angelo. Now that I'm in Florida, I kinda miss being able to easily find a place to shoot practically anything I want to shoot.

Btw, what do you play?
Old 10-12-2008, 15:15   #15
gamingoddess

Quote:
Sounds a lot like San Angelo. Now that I'm in Florida, I kinda miss being able to easily find a place to shoot practically anything I want to shoot.

Btw, what do you play?
I participate any local USPSA, IDPA, or GSSF events. Being in a prime location like Clovis/Cannon, it's the perfect place to be to get within driving distance (if you call 4-5 hrs or less) from many gun clubs in TX & NM.