Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:39   #1
mangkukhan

Issued boots...

First off I am not military, but I am planning on going in within a year and had a question that may sound stupid but I have never heard the answer. When you first enter boot camp or OCS and you are issued your gear, are you given the opportunity to try on the gear and change it if it doesn't fit properly? Not so worried about clothes, but boots are a pretty important issue item in my opinion.

I do alot of hiking/hunting/camping and I have had lots of problems finding the perfect fitting boots. I am a 12, 12 1/2, or 13 depending on which company the boots are manufactured by and I was wondering if I would be allowed to try on different sizes or am I going to be asked my size and given the boots I will be wearing period? I don't want to be stuck wearing boots that are going to rip up my feet the entire time I'm in training.

Also is there a single specific manufacturer making boots for soldiers?, or does it depend on what they are stocking and who they're buying from at the time?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:54   #2
Postal Patron

Yes. Although they measure your feet/body in Basic Training for the right size fit should occur the first time.
Postal Patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:03   #3
deadday

Yes..
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:29   #4
Rakkasan
Airmobile!

Send a message via Yahoo to Rakkasan
Don't leave CIF (central issue facility) until you receive the right sizes that you feel comfortable in. The people working there will sometimes try to tell you they fit, but only you can make that decision, and don't cave in to their lack of patience.
Rakkasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 16:35   #5
ace3587

I've heard different stories from different BCT locations but...

I went to Fort Leonard Wood, MO a couple of months ago and we had to stand on this machine, socks off, and it measured our pressure areas, foot size, sock size, shoe size, boot size. It also told you the type of cushioning your shoe should have.

Once we got into issue, we were able to try on different sizes and the people at CIF tried to hurry us along, but we were able to move around in each boot and make sure it fit correctly. Some people were even allowed to go back after about a week in basic to get new ones because their feet were getting torn up. Even with a proper fitting boot, my feet still got torn up, but I never got a blister ::knock on wood::.
ace3587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 17:16   #6
Biscuitsjam

Yep, try on boots until you find something that fits.

Also, when you go to the shoppette to buy your own shoes, try those on until you find something that fits.

They'll try to rush you both places, but don't settle for something that will cause you injury. Lots of guys get hurt at BASIC - be smart.

Last edited by Biscuitsjam; 10-05-2008 at 17:26..
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 21:16   #7
eisman
CLM Number 127
ARGH!

I never (repeat never) use any issue boots. Not for years. I live on my feet, they get the best I can buy for them. Danner.

My cousins think I'm Santa when I send them the stuff I can't/won't use, but Danner's never let me down. The best issue stuff I ever got was a steel toed Rocky pair for flightline ops. They were okay. Altima, Belltown, Wolverine, Corcoran, (etc, etc, etc); they just don't wear or last like Danner.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02   #8
nexlegio

Your life will be miserable if you don't get the right size boot. As those above me pointed out, take your time. Use what fits you best, not what they tell you works. On a side note wear your boots in asap, unless you want a lot of pain.
nexlegio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:58   #9
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

yes, say no to the issue boots! go to clothing sales and try on a couple pairs from different companies. you'll may like some better than others. i prefer the oakley's myself. they are super comfy, like walking on a cloud. i've heard people say they dont last very long but i've been in this pair 3 months and no problems (but i also dont use them as field boots). we'll see how they last during the deployment.
:patriot:
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 13:06   #10
CaliMoon2005- L

After you get to your first duty station, buy your self a tanker boot, or the Paratrooper boot.
CaliMoon2005- L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 00:24   #11
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
If you are authorized to wear Danner, do so. I wear them for uniform use in DOJ component, and have not been sorry about it. I used to be in the Army and can tell you that for field use you need something that is going to hold up to the rigors of operations.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:46   #12
Biscuitsjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMoon2005- L View Post
After you get to your first duty station, buy your self a tanker boot, or the Paratrooper boot.
Funny, but if you follow his advice, you'll waste your money and risk having your arse kicked.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43   #13
Rakkasan
Airmobile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
Funny, but if you follow his advice, you'll waste your money and risk having your arse kicked.
Very true, especially if you are going combat arms.
Old 10-24-2008, 23:36   #14
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkasan View Post
Very true, especially if you are going combat arms.
What if he was working on a flight line? Wouldn't jump boots be mandatory, as in something that wouldn't pick up FOD? I am just curious, as it wasn't an issue where I was last at.
Old 10-25-2008, 00:34   #15
CaliMoon2005- L

Quote:
What is so amusing to you? All of the unit I have been assign to allow jump and tank boot.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:58   #16
Rakkasan
Airmobile!

You can wear any boot YOU would like. We were "allowed" to wear jump boots if we wanted to. You would probably be the only one wearing them since every one else in our brigade wore jungles or regular combat boots. Of course we had to wear jump boots in our class A uniform due to tradition of the 101st, but that was it.

Anyone in our brigade that would wear jump boots in BDUs would get ridiculed, that's just the way it was. Believe me, I've seen many people that have worn jump boots religiously at Ft. Campbell, but they weren't infantry. We weren't paratroopers, and we didn't pretend to be them.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:16   #17
SASSGlock2

Fascinating tales of all the luxuries and care taken to ensure proper boot fit in basic training. When I was at Parris Island in 86, we were issued two pair of the old style combat boots (they started issuing the speed lacers to recruits who came in a month or so after we did, but I always loved the old style - still have one pair from DRMO). We alternated between the pairs each day. There was red paint on the arch of the sole to keep them in the right rotation - everyone wore red dots, or everyone wore non-red dots. I wore 10.5, my bunkie wore 9. He got recycled out to pork chop platoon. The next day was a forced march out to the rifle range, about 9-10 miles IIRC. Guess who accidentally took one of my boots and left one of his? You guessed it! I made that march with one boot correct, and one boot a size and a half too small. DIs would not let me track him down to switch boots because I was the dumb ***** who let himtake one of mine. I went the remainder of boot camp with that boot. A week or two before graduation when we had to send our boots to the cobbler to get resoled - yep, I had to get that damned 9 resoled too.
SASSGlock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:17   #18
Biscuitsjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMoon2005- L View Post
What is so amusing to you? All of the unit I have been assign to allow jump and tank boot.
Tanker Boots are authorized per regulation ONLY if your command approves of them. Most commands will only approve them if you are a tank crewmember and gunnery-qualified. A few units will also authorized them for mech crewmembers of other vehicles, but that isn't universal. If you're just a regular joe and try to wear tanker boots, things will go badly for you.

I don't know all the traditions surrounding jump boots, but generally-speaking, it's probably a bad idea unless you're airborne qualified or a part of a unit with an airborne tradition.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:27   #19
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Tanker Boots are authorized per regulation ONLY if your command approves of them. Most commands will only approve them if you are a tank crewmember and gunnery-qualified. A few units will also authorized them for mech crewmembers of other vehicles, but that isn't universal. If you're just a regular joe and try to wear tanker boots, things will go badly for you.

I don't know all the traditions surrounding jump boots, but generally-speaking, it's probably a bad idea unless you're airborne qualified or a part of a unit with an airborne tradition.
Given I had drill SGTS who were not airborne qualified wearing jump boots, (some were, others were not), no big deal when it was time for AIT. At the time I was in, and where I was in, whatever was according to supply regs, we were allowed to wear, including jump boots.
Old 10-25-2008, 20:35   #20
CaliMoon2005- L

I don't know why everyone is making a big deal of jump boot and tanker boot, but frankly Jungle boot is every comfortable boot to have!
Old 11-09-2008, 06:50   #21
eisman
CLM Number 127
ARGH!

Quote:
What if he was working on a flight line?
Flight line OPS specify steel toes.

Jungle boots, Jump boots, tanker boots...

That's old guys who've lost touch with reality. Nobody wears black boots anymore.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 15:26   #22
Training Junkie

When I went thru basic and AIT a couple of years ago, we weren't allowed to wear any boot except the issue boot. Make sure you get some that fit and don't let the CIF people chase you away until you get some that fit. Once you get to your first unit, you can buy whatever is authorized by your command.

Danner, Bates, Oakleys are some of the best. It just depends on how much you want to spend and if the boots fit you.

If you're not airborne, stay away from them or you'll catch h*ll from any airborne types around. We don't even wear them except with Class A's.

Last edited by Training Junkie; 12-03-2008 at 15:28..
Training Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 23:55   #23
mkmckinley

At basic training you'll get a chance to try on whatever boots they're issuing. It's kind of a cattle call so they'll try to rush you but don't accept boots that don't fit. I even went back a day later and got a size smaller. You'll see a lot of people with boots that are too large after sizing on that stupid machine. You want about half an inch, or a thumbnail, between the toe of your boot and your toe. The toe caps are kinda stiff so you have to really push down to make sure you have it right.

You won't get a chance or be allowed to buy aftermarket boots. Your new boots are not going to be broken in and they're going to tear you feet up at first. Your best bet is preventive maintenance.

I used to lace them up tight on the first few eyelets, tie a square knot, then lace them up looser the rest of the way. Also, make sure to get a deodorant with antiperspirant in it. You can rub that on your feet to cut down on sweating which causes blisters. You've got some time to prepare so research medial tibial stress syndrome and how to treat and prevent it. You basically want to strengthen your shin muscles and make sure your calves are flexible. For that matter make sure your legs are flexible overall.
mkmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:20   #24
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangkukhan View Post
I am a 12, 12 1/2, or 13 depending on which company the boots are manufactured by and I was wondering if I would be allowed to try on different sizes or am I going to be asked my size and given the boots I will be wearing period? I don't want to be stuck wearing boots that are going to rip up my feet the entire time I'm in training.
best I recall, they don't ask your size, they measure your feet and tell you your size.
Old 12-26-2008, 17:01   #25
8-Ball
Drifting Cowboy

When I went through they asked me what size, I told them, I tried them on and they asked if they felt like they fit. IIRC, I got Wellco winters and summers. There was absolutely no way in hell we were able to get any other boots other than what we were issued.

When I got to AIT we were able to get anything that looked like our issue boots. Danners, belleville, etc. but absolutely no ripple soles, tankers, or side zips.

23skidoo (Jeff), CJLandry (Chad), Silent_Runner (Gloria), & GioaJack

Taken too soon.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote