Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2008, 19:25   #1
Oldskoolfan
Stay Thirsty

Just petitioned today....

Hello all,

I am excited to say that I just petitioned the local lodge today for membership. I should hopefully find out if I am going to be accepted in a few weeks. Is there anything I should do to while I wait. I was given some pamphlets, but besides reading those what else is there

Thanks for all of the responses I am sure to get.
Oldskoolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 19:27   #2
nationwide

Welcome and good luck!

This is a GLOCK forum!!!! :rant:
nationwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 19:57   #3
Oldskoolfan
Stay Thirsty

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2008, 20:33   #4
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Congratulations!!!
Read what they gave you
DO NOT read the junk on the internet
DO NOT try to research the ceremonies, you will be much happier if you do not.

Enjoy the journey you are about to start.
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
jetboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:19   #5
MarcoPolo

Congratulations!

You have take the first step of an amazing journey. My off-the-cuff recommendations:

1. Be patient. Masonry is not a point-and-click world. It often moves slower than we are used to in our modern world. The typical process (at least in Texas) is that your petition will be read aloud in the next stated meeting (we have 1/month) and voted on by the brethren. They will then assign 3 brothers as an "investigative committee". This committee will speak with you (not grill you) about what brought you to Masonry and answer any questions you might have. DO NOT be afraid to ask any questions you have.

2. Start hanging out at the lodge. Although you can not sit in the stated meeting at this point, if there is a dinner or something, it is a great time to start meeting the brethren.

3. DO NOT read the nonsense on the internet. You will find out soon enough how off-the-mark it all is. Also, I recommend you don't read about the degrees.. they will be far more enjoyable if you don't.

Let us know how the process goes. Ask questions. As the old saying goes, if you want to get a Mason talking... ask him about Masonry. Feel free to PM me. NO.. NO question is too off-the-wall (conspiracy or otherwise). I'd be happy to help.

Again, CONGRATS!

Help a Shriner Help a Child

http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
MarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:21   #6
grecco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboatdriver View Post
Congratulations!!!
Read what they gave you
DO NOT read the junk on the internet
DO NOT try to research the ceremonies, you will be much happier if you do not.

Enjoy the journey you are about to start.
what he said,
welcome!
Old 10-14-2008, 18:12   #7
ditch_digger

Only regret I have is I waited so long to do it. I am now 38 and wish I would have petitioned when I was 21. I just finished my Fellow Craft Degree and am being raised to Master Mason this Saturday. You will never regret this decision.

In my very limited experience I have learned a few things here and there, so if you need any help also feel free to PM me, I have probably already asked all the questions floating around in your head. Like MarcoPolo said, it does take time so just be patient and when you have the interview be yourself, you will find Masons are among the best people you will ever meet.

Good luck on your journey & please keep us posted.

ditch_digger
ditch_digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:09   #8
Oldskoolfan
Stay Thirsty

Here is the skinny so far...

The lodge I petitioned has 2 meetings a month. I was invited to a dinner prior to the last meeting and I met some of the members. All of them seemed like nice people and we talked over dinner. I was asked what led me to Masonry and I told the truth. Essentially what drew me to it was the mystery that surrounds it as well as the knowledge that tehy are a charity organization and a fraternity. I am hoping that it will help me in my life.

I don't really have to many questions that were not unanswered. My questions though were about the degrees. I believe there are 3 but then there are other orders such as the Scottish Rite and other orders. Is that correct? Do you have to petition to join them?

As well as the three brethren investigating me, I knew one of them briefly from my freshman year at college in 2004. He remembered me and we talked. However it has been a few years since then. Do they need to get to know me personally or anything like that?

And my final question... since Masons rule the world and control economies do you think they will give me a nice beach mansion?

The first thing I realized was to not believe what I read on the internet. I want to thank you all for the welcomes and the offers to assist. If I have any more questions I will post.

Thanks once again.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:34   #9
nationwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
And my final question... since Masons rule the world and control economies do you think they will give me a nice beach mansion?
The day after being initiated as an Entered Apprentice, I noticed a sum of money appeared in my checking account. Seriously.

When I got excited and told my wife, she said "It's your payday, dumbass!"

This is a GLOCK forum!!!! :rant:
nationwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:19   #10
mmsig229

Congratulations, looks like you're well on your way. Welcome to our most ancient and honorable Fraternity!!
mmsig229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 20:32   #11
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Here is the skinny so far...

My questions though were about the degrees. I believe there are 3 but then there are other orders such as the Scottish Rite and other orders. Is that correct? Do you have to petition to join them?//////

Do they need to get to know me personally or anything like that?

The first thing I realized was to not believe what I read on the internet. I want to thank you all for the welcomes and the offers to assist. If I have any more questions I will post.

Thanks once again.
Let me take these in orders

1) Refer to the other posts - quit reading, quit questioning take it as it is given.
2) You have a lifetime for Scottish, York, Shrine and anything else
3) They will get to know enough
4) Yes, it will come 14 months after my beach house

The one thing I am going to tell you is - you will learn the true meaning of the secret words in Masonry.....the first patience and the second the least spoken secret word in Masonry.....No.

Congrats, relax and enjoy
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
Old 10-16-2008, 21:06   #12
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Congratulations young Brother!
Old 10-20-2008, 16:19   #13
Oldskoolfan
Stay Thirsty

Still waiting for my petition to get voted on. I believe it will be on next Monday. I am kind of nervous but I am anxiously awaiting the news.

Thanks for all of the encouragement so far.
Old 10-21-2008, 22:16   #14
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Still waiting for my petition to get voted on. I believe it will be on next Monday. I am kind of nervous but I am anxiously awaiting the news.

Thanks for all of the encouragement so far.

see my previous post to you - - - patience - - - it isn't just a word in Masonry it is a way of life.... remember - good things come to those who wait.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:56   #15
dsink

Welcome. I was raised on Jan. 7th of this year.
I will second what everyone else said just sit back, relax and enjoy it. When you go through the degress dont try and remember everything just relax, listen and take it all in.

To be honest I tried to look up the first degree on the internet and read about it. DO NOT DO IT. It is a waste of time and you wont enjoy it as much.

It is a great Fraternity and someting you will always enjoy it.

Good luck.
dsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 22:23   #16
Goose5

I have a petition waiting to get signatures. I am already half way through Clausen's Commentaries on Morals and Dogma. Should I stop reading?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:10   #17
dsink

Goose5
I would save it and wait until after you are finished with going through the degrees. You will understand it more and it will make the experince more enjoyable.

Just my .02 worth

Good luck
dsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:21   #18
thirdruffian1

Quote:
Yes, and your new Brothers will be more than happy to help you take the wheels off of it.

Seriously, though, congratulations on your decision. Keep us posted on your progress.
thirdruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:41   #19
jrr6602

Welcome to our thread. I will be soon starting my 34th year as a Mason. I belong to the Masonic orders except the Eastern Star. You have plenty time join these other bodies after you are raised a Master Mason. To answer your question, yes you have to petition these other orders.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:37   #20
lethal tupperwa

?????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy infidel View Post
Congratulations young Brother!

jumping the gun a bit?

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 00:14   #21
JackedGLOCK

My petition was just turned in a few weeks ago. I am very much looking forward to this. My great grandfather was a Mason and my uncle is as well. Hopefully they give me a call soon.
JackedGLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 18:09   #22
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose5 View Post
I have a petition waiting to get signatures. I am already half way through Clausen's Commentaries on Morals and Dogma. Should I stop reading?
Save it until you do Scottish Rite. M&D is a tome. Is makes more sense after you go through SR.
Old 01-10-2011, 18:16   #23
Batesmotel

Quote:
I don't really have to many questions that were not unanswered. My questions though were about the degrees. I believe there are 3 but then there are other orders such as the Scottish Rite and other orders. Is that correct? Do you have to petition to join them?
The first 3 degrees will bring you to Master Mason. After that there are several "appendant bodies" you can join like Scottish Rite, York Rite, Shriners and several others. These are in addition to Master Mason and your regular lodge, not higher than MM. Take your time and enjoy MM and your lodge then If you wish, look into the other bodies.