SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:33   #1221
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Maybe you could ship this one back for inspection? I would like to see the problem first hand since we can not duplicate it here. Email me direct at lonewolf@lonewolfdist.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:48   #1222
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Maybe you could ship this one back for inspection? I would like to see the problem first hand since we can not duplicate it here. Email me direct at lonewolf@lonewolfdist.com
Email sent
TcRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 19:49   #1223
scratchy wilson
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRoc View Post
Got to the range and all went until around the 100 round mark ,,, than the magazine started falling out after each shot.
The mag release is not being touched by my hand,, the magazine will stay in place until gun is fired,
I didn't dig threw all the previous pages,,anybody else have this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchy wilson View Post
Finally got to go out and shoot a little.

1st magazine would eject on its own without the release being pressed. After about five rounds I switched to a 33 round stick which had no problems. Shooting buddy ran a flawless standard magazine, after which I ran the remainder of the first magazine without issue.
Hope to get out this weekend to try again.
scratchy wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:21   #1224
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

Quote:
Got to the range and all went until around the 100 round mark ,,, than the magazine started falling out after each shot.
The mag release is not being touched by my hand,, the magazine will stay in place until gun is fired,
I didn't dig threw all the previous pages,,anybody else have this problem?

Other than that all was great until than,,, will take a look at issue more today
Update

Ok ,went back to the range,,here is what I found,
look at the 2 mags ,, the one on the left is the one falling out,, the one on the right is new.

The one on the left with the deforming works fine in my stock RTF Frame,but is falling out when fired out of the Proto frame.

The one on the right I just fired 100 accucrate rounds thru 1 target with the Proto Frame posted below with zero issues.

So the wearing on the older mag is the problem,, if a mag is a little worn it may fall out of the proto.
The only thing is it didn't develop the problem til around the 100 round mark
I will use the mag on the right for more testing to see if it holds up.

Sponsor Showcase
Sponsor Showcase
Sponsor Showcase

Last edited by TcRoc; 08-13-2010 at 16:44..
Old 08-14-2010, 17:01   #1225
chakup

Finally picked up my frame, and it was my FFL's first transfer!! Assembly went pretty smooth, feels a little rough, but not too bad. I'm already concerned with how the mag release is gonna do.
chakup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:03   #1226
smoke

Quote:
Update

Ok ,went back to the range,,here is what I found,
look at the 2 mags ,, the one on the left is the one falling out,, the one on the right is new.

The one on the left with the deforming works fine in my stock RTF Frame,but is falling out when fired out of the Proto frame.

The one on the right I just fired 100 accucrate rounds thru 1 target with the Proto Frame posted below with zero issues.

So the wearing on the older mag is the problem,, if a mag is a little worn it may fall out of the proto.
The only thing is it didn't develop the problem til around the 100 round mark
I will use the mag on the right for more testing to see if it holds up.

Sponsor Showcase
Sponsor Showcase
Sponsor Showcase
I doubt the wear on the mag is the root cause of the issue. What you show in the pic is typical wear on the mag release notch and caused by jamming the bottom of the notch against the mag release during reloads. If it works in your stock frame, then it's probably not the real issue. Besides, the wear is on the bottom of the notch and the top is what holds it in the frame. Even with the new mag, you're probably on the edge of a problem.
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 13:03   #1227
doodi1

Finally pictures of my build with a Gen 2 Glock 17 upper. The second and third pictures show the way the rails are higher on the Timber Wolf frame and the gap that exist between the dust cover and the slide. BTW, the Glock light and my Surefire x-300 mounted on the TW frame without any issues. I will post pictures of my Glock frame and the same slide in a separate post so you can see the differences.

Last edited by doodi1; 12-06-2012 at 12:25..
doodi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 13:07   #1228
doodi1

Now pictures of my Gen. 2 Glock for comparison. Oops it seems like i have exceeded my abilty to post pictures (too many MB).

Does anyone know how I can attach a few more pictures in this thread?
doodi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 14:41   #1229
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I doubt the wear on the mag is the root cause of the issue. What you show in the pic is typical wear on the mag release notch and caused by jamming the bottom of the notch against the mag release during reloads. If it works in your stock frame, then it's probably not the real issue. Besides, the wear is on the bottom of the notch and the top is what holds it in the frame. Even with the new mag, you're probably on the edge of a problem.

If a worn mag is falling out and new mags stay in that does tell you something,, the Catch needs to probably catch a little more of the mag,,,seems pretty straight forward and logical to me
Old 08-17-2010, 14:46   #1230
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Wear on the top of the notch is a problem. This is the point of contact that secures the mag to the frame.
Wear on the bottom of the notch is caused by over-seating. It is pretty much irrelevant to this issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 15:01   #1231
smoke

Quote:
If a worn mag is falling out and new mags stay in that does tell you something,, the Catch needs to probably catch a little more of the mag,,,seems pretty straight forward and logical to me
No offense, but I do Problem Solving for a living and can tell you that what appears straight forward and logical often has nothing to do with the problem at all. There's probably just normal variation in mags that causes one to work and the other not. There is not significant enough wear on the mag in your pic to be causing the problem alone.

If you will read JR's post, I think you'll find he said the same thing I did.

Last edited by smoke; 08-17-2010 at 15:05..
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 15:07   #1232
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

NO offense taken ,, I'm no rocket scientist and have been wrong before
Old 08-18-2010, 14:56   #1233
solvability

Is anyone else having trouble getting good groups with the LW frame? I have tried my 17 upper and my 22 upper and neither will group with the LW - both are fine with their respective Glock frames.
solvability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 16:27   #1234
WDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvability View Post
Is anyone else having trouble getting good groups with the LW frame? I have tried my 17 upper and my 22 upper and neither will group with the LW - both are fine with their respective Glock frames.
Good accuracy with both frames. No noticeable difference between the Glock and LWD frame.

Last edited by WDN; 08-22-2010 at 14:08.. Reason: To clarify
WDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 17:10   #1235
juicespeare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvability View Post
I see vertical stringing with the LWD lower compared to my Glock OEM lower using same parts except for the mag release and SF trigger housing.

I stated why I thought this was the case in my previous post. The rear of my 9mm LWD G34 replacement barrel locks up looser in the rear using the LWD frame than when I use the same barrel and locking block in my Glock OEM G34 frame.

I suspect it's because the height of the LWD frame rails are higher than the Glock G34 OEM frame and that's causing the rear of the barrel to lock up lower and looser in the LWD frame.

I really hope they solve this.

Read my other post for more details. In addition, like others here, I also stated in the previous post that the left side frame rails are higher than the right side on the LWD frame. Something JR already acknowledged and should be fixed in the production models.

Last edited by juicespeare1; 08-18-2010 at 17:12..
juicespeare1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 19:48   #1236
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDN View Post
Same accuracy with either set for me
I have found the same issue with Glock receivers. After doing some extensive testing, I found the root of the problem with the Glock receivers and will "assume" this could be a possible cause of your test with teh LWD frame. The Glock slide locks have variable tolerances, some will lock up the barrel better than others. Whenever I buy a Glock or we are testing one that does not group, I will change the slide lock and the group changes and tightens up in most cases. If it doesn't, I'll try another slide lock until I find one that performs better. You may want to exchange the slide lock to see if there's a difference in how your LWD frame groups.

My LWD frame with either a Glock slide or LWD slide groups great. Using Winchester white box, I am getting 2" groups of 5 shots at 25 yards.

"Just my 2cents worth"
Bobby
"Home of the CARVER Mount"
www.bb-enterprise.biz
BCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 14:07   #1237
ChesterCRD

The magazine release issue seems to get worse with shooting. I have mine in a G22 configuration with a LW slide and barrel. I'm shooting mags with an 8 on the follower because these are the only ones I have in my collection that fit properly (the rest of my .40 mags are all tight). I shot IDPA with this today (has about 800 rounds through it now) and the mag release issue was very bad. It is not me hitting the release when firing. When shooting strong hand only (nothing near the release) it was dropping the magazine every shot.

JR, if you have any suggestions please let me know. At this point, I can't shoot this configuration.
ChesterCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 14:10   #1238
WDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCarver View Post
I have found the same issue with Glock receivers. After doing some extensive testing, I found the root of the problem with the Glock receivers and will "assume" this could be a possible cause of your test with teh LWD frame. The Glock slide locks have variable tolerances, some will lock up the barrel better than others. Whenever I buy a Glock or we are testing one that does not group, I will change the slide lock and the group changes and tightens up in most cases. If it doesn't, I'll try another slide lock until I find one that performs better. You may want to exchange the slide lock to see if there's a difference in how your LWD frame groups.

My LWD frame with either a Glock slide or LWD slide groups great. Using Winchester white box, I am getting 2" groups of 5 shots at 25 yards.

"Just my 2cents worth"
Bobby
Interesting. I came accross this thread also. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851754
WDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 18:29   #1239
rsm688

1600 rounds through mine so far, I will have to agree with a lot of the others on the problem with the rails beign rough and not in line with each other and on the mag release being WAY too light and dropping some magazines. Also noticed the gaps between the frame and the slide. It just seems like an awful big gap for dust and stuff to get through plus it takes away from the looks to be able to see straight trough the gun when looking from the side. further comments to come

-spencer-
rsm688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:17   #1240
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCRD View Post
The magazine release issue seems to get worse with shooting. I have mine in a G22 configuration with a LW slide and barrel. I'm shooting mags with an 8 on the follower because these are the only ones I have in my collection that fit properly (the rest of my .40 mags are all tight). I shot IDPA with this today (has about 800 rounds through it now) and the mag release issue was very bad. It is not me hitting the release when firing. When shooting strong hand only (nothing near the release) it was dropping the magazine every shot.

JR, if you have any suggestions please let me know. At this point, I can't shoot this configuration.
Mine does the same thing. I think the mag release just needs a little more mass where it engages and holds the magazine. Hopefully this is something we can swap out as currently I can't use the pistol for anything other then plinking at the range. Using it at matches with constant concern the mag will fall out isn't a good idea.

My guess is the mag release is just not holding enough of the mag so under recoil it bounces loose.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote