SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-28-2008, 23:17   #1
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

What Can You Tell Me About Ft. Bliss...

Deployment got cancelled. I'm PCSing to Bliss in 90 days, 1st Armor Division.
So I'll probably be leaving late '09.

What can you tell me... good, bad, indifferent.

Anyone still there?
:patriot:
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:52   #2
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

so really... no ones been to ft. bliss?
Old 10-31-2008, 19:45   #3
CaliMoon2005- L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_CRUNCH View Post
so really... no ones been to ft. bliss?

All I say about Fort Bliss is it's a TRADOC - U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command Post not like Ft. Hood - A Active Duty Post, a couple of hours drive east. Good luck.. I don't think there is much "Life" @Bliss...
CaliMoon2005- L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 19:22   #4
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
I was National Guard there in the area a long time ago. El Paso is OK, but there are gangs there. I would not be surprised if Juarez is placed on the off limits list a good part of the time with the recent troubles with the drug cartels in Mexico, and they have been very active in Juarez and El Paso both, according to some things I have been reading up on, such as with the El Paso Diario.

There is not a whole lot of grass on the fort, most of it is in the senior officers housing area, unless it has changed. But, other than that the fort seemed alright. However, it has been a long time ago, at about 22 years ago.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 19:31   #5
AF-Odin

A couple of hours East to Hood???? From my house, almost within sight of the west boundary of Hood, it is a hard 9+ hour drive to Bliss---done it plenty of times since father-in-law and a sister-in-law live in El Paso. Bliss is in the MIDDLE of huge changes (and the middle of no where). The ADA School is in the process of a move to Ft Sill, 1st Armor is standing up there (currently only one BCT, but the plan is for 4 BCTs in 1AD at Bliss) plus they are doing an FCS TEST BDE there too. Plenty going on and a lot of money being poured into Bliss.

As for El Paso, some love it, some hate it, not much feeling in between. It is a pretty big city, but not the size of Dallas or San Antonio. Has a fair sized university, UT El Paso, lots of arts type events. Minor league ball team and Sun Bowl football game.

STAY AWAY FROM JUAREZ!!!!!! It is the Mexican city that is adjacent to El Paso and a LOT of day workers from Juarez work in El Paso. Juarez is in open warfare with literally hundreds killed this year in drug related turf wars. Be VERY carful when driving if you are carrying because if you wind up in Mexico with a firearm and get caught, you are looking at HARF time in a Mexcican prison for even possessing a firearm in their country. That said, I carry at all times in El Paso and am just careful to stay on the US side and off of Ft Bliss when carrying. It really is far easier to accidentally find yourself in NEW MEXICO rather than the OLD. Even that used to be a minor issue before reciprocity was signed for CCW between Texas and NM.

Good Luck
Old 11-03-2008, 10:16   #6
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

thanks, yes juarez is off-limits. actually for us Soldiers in the SW all travel to mexico must be approved.

thanks for the info i'm going to 1st AD so one of the new BCTs you mentioned Odin.

thanks everyone, keep it coming.
Old 11-03-2008, 14:59   #7
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-Odin View Post
A couple of hours East to Hood???? From my house, almost within sight of the west boundary of Hood, it is a hard 9+ hour drive to Bliss---done it plenty of times since father-in-law and a sister-in-law live in El Paso. Bliss is in the MIDDLE of huge changes (and the middle of no where). The ADA School is in the process of a move to Ft Sill, 1st Armor is standing up there (currently only one BCT, but the plan is for 4 BCTs in 1AD at Bliss) plus they are doing an FCS TEST BDE there too. Plenty going on and a lot of money being poured into Bliss.

As for El Paso, some love it, some hate it, not much feeling in between. It is a pretty big city, but not the size of Dallas or San Antonio. Has a fair sized university, UT El Paso, lots of arts type events. Minor league ball team and Sun Bowl football game.

STAY AWAY FROM JUAREZ!!!!!! It is the Mexican city that is adjacent to El Paso and a LOT of day workers from Juarez work in El Paso. Juarez is in open warfare with literally hundreds killed this year in drug related turf wars. Be VERY carful when driving if you are carrying because if you wind up in Mexico with a firearm and get caught, you are looking at HARF time in a Mexcican prison for even possessing a firearm in their country. That said, I carry at all times in El Paso and am just careful to stay on the US side and off of Ft Bliss when carrying. It really is far easier to accidentally find yourself in NEW MEXICO rather than the OLD. Even that used to be a minor issue before reciprocity was signed for CCW between Texas and NM.

Good Luck
Too bad about Juarez. It had its problems when I was there, as well as El Paso in spots. Especially when NAP was really starting to kick PRI's bottom. The place nick named the heaven and hell projects was in Ysleta area of El Paso, Alameda Ave and some other areas had its gangs, especially at night.

In Mexico, concerning firearms, anything that is considered a military caliber is forbidden to their own citizens, and they will lock up people who come into their country with firearms, especially hand guns, when it's not cleared with their authorities. If you don't CCW, I suggest that now a days you should, of course within Ft. Bliss, to my knowledge it doesn't go there.

I keep up on things in the local news on line, so it's all I know concerning there now. That, and I have heard from some of the Paisas who are Mexican citizens who got caught crossing too many times and became residents in our system here in the States.

If you are looking to stay off post, stay in the newer areas of El Paso, and far away from the barrios. Too, much gang influence in the barrios areas, especially with MS-13 being considered. If you want to know more about the gang presence in the area, look at this link for starters: http://www.gangsorus.com

Now a days I am in federal law enforcement working for the FBOP, so between on line and some inmates I have kept up on some of the recent stuff in El Paso. I probably wouldn't live there unless I had to, now. But, that's me. I would probably go in the safer areas in some parts closer to the country, (discounting any wild cats there). That doesn't include the squatter areas if they are still there, adjacent east part of El Paso.

Santa Theresa, NM if it's still there is a ways off, but it's a nice area there. Good fishing in the US part of the Rio Grande river where it swings up north into the US. So, if you are allowed to live off post and across in New Mexico and don't mind the little bit of commute, it's excellent from what I know of it.

If I ever get picked up at any of our facilities in the area, say at La Tuna, that will be where I am looking at. We used to have a MDC in El Paso, but I don't think it's there any longer. Of course, that is still up in the air, as I might stay where I am at until retirement.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 15:42   #8
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Too bad about Juarez. It had its problems when I was there, as well as El Paso in spots. Especially when NAP was really starting to kick PRI's bottom. The place nick named the heaven and hell projects was in Ysleta area of El Paso, Alameda Ave and some other areas had its gangs, especially at night.

In Mexico, concerning firearms, anything that is considered a military caliber is forbidden to their own citizens, and they will lock up people who come into their country with firearms, especially hand guns, when it's not cleared with their authorities. If you don't CCW, I suggest that now a days you should, of course within Ft. Bliss, to my knowledge it doesn't go there.

I keep up on things in the local news on line, so it's all I know concerning there now. That, and I have heard from some of the Paisas who are Mexican citizens who got caught crossing too many times and became residents in our system here in the States.

If you are looking to stay off post, stay in the newer areas of El Paso, and far away from the barrios. Too, much gang influence in the barrios areas, especially with MS-13 being considered. If you want to know more about the gang presence in the area, look at this link for starters: http://www.gangsorus.com

Now a days I am in federal law enforcement working for the FBOP, so between on line and some inmates I have kept up on some of the recent stuff in El Paso. I probably wouldn't live there unless I had to, now. But, that's me. I would probably go in the safer areas in some parts closer to the country, (discounting any wild cats there). That doesn't include the squatter areas if they are still there, adjacent east part of El Paso.

Santa Theresa, NM if it's still there is a ways off, but it's a nice area there. Good fishing in the US part of the Rio Grande river where it swings up north into the US. So, if you are allowed to live off post and across in New Mexico and don't mind the little bit of commute, it's excellent from what I know of it.

If I ever get picked up at any of our facilities in the area, say at La Tuna, that will be where I am looking at. We used to have a MDC in El Paso, but I don't think it's there any longer. Of course, that is still up in the air, as I might stay where I am at until retirement.
thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-2008, 17:15   #9
ldcarson

I just have to add this...GRAW2 Ft. Bliss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cITcmQfF0XU

Nothing else I can offer. Lots of sand and dust...Good luck in ur tour...
ldcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:34   #10
eisman
CLM Number 127
ARGH!

Bliss is poorly named. It is undergoing a huge expansion. The two training areas north of the post are getting totally rebuilt after years of neglect. Lots of new rail, roads, and quarters. It's expected to be one of the 5 most important facilities in the future.

It's primarily a ADA school now, with the secondary mission of a MOB site. That secondary mission is driving the change. It's also the home of the USA Sergeant Majors Academy (which also means First Sergeant and Battle Staff) so expect everything from brand new AIT soldiers to crusty E-9's by the handful.

The post is easy to get around, and actually in town nowdays. It butts right up to the boarder, but that's off limits. Lots of civilians live over there though, which makes for major traffic jams during rush hour. I suggest buying a house north and / or west of town, or a good condo downtown. This area is going to have money as long as they work on the post. Once that stops the town stagnates; the military is the ONLY employer on that side of the boarder.

There's a fair amount of stuff to get away to in the area, as long as you like desert. Las Crueces is close, White Sands is near, Cloudveil is nice, Taos a good weekend spot. You can do whitewater trips in the summer. And, if you like dinosaurs, you're in a great area for digging.

The food is going to be hotter than you're used to unless you eat a lot of pure Mexican already. Chili's are in everything. There are some very good resturants in town.

Hunting is good, with the only American Oryx season I know of on post. You have to see it to believe it. Lots of quail! Elk in the mountains. If you're used to eastern hunting you're going to hate it, as you walk your legs off out there.

I can think of worse places to be stuck for a tour.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 21:58   #11
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisman View Post

The post is easy to get around, and actually in town nowdays. It butts right up to the boarder, but that's off limits. Lots of civilians live over there though, which makes for major traffic jams during rush hour. I suggest buying a house north and / or west of town, or a good condo downtown. This area is going to have money as long as they work on the post. Once that stops the town stagnates; the military is the ONLY employer on that side of the boarder.

There's a fair amount of stuff to get away to in the area, as long as you like desert. Las Crueces is close, White Sands is near, Cloudveil is nice, Taos a good weekend spot. You can do whitewater trips in the summer. And, if you like dinosaurs, you're in a great area for digging.

The food is going to be hotter than you're used to unless you eat a lot of pure Mexican already. Chili's are in everything. There are some very good resturants in town.

Hunting is good, with the only American Oryx season I know of on post. You have to see it to believe it. Lots of quail! Elk in the mountains. If you're used to eastern hunting you're going to hate it, as you walk your legs off out there.

I can think of worse places to be stuck for a tour.
thanks for the info... FYI, ADA school is moving to Sill.
bliss's website is the most useless in DoD. it says a lot of the same stuff. thanks for giving me something different, thats what i was looking for.

i've driven thru el paso several times. i'm just getting info for my wife. i dont think i'll actually be at bliss too much. i've already been told not to even get an apartment cause we're going to iraq a couple weeks after i arrive and she's not gonna move there until i get back in 2010. thanks again for the info.