SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:46   #1
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Back-up HD?

Is it worth it (possible) to back up your entire HD to an external HD? I've kept mine down to about 35 gigs for the last year or so and was debating if it would be wise just to back up the whole works. I already did the pictures and audio but thought it would be nice to be able to reload the whole shabang.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalcarry View Post
Is it worth it (possible) to back up your entire HD to an external HD? I've kept mine down to about 35 gigs for the last year or so and was debating if it would be wise just to back up the whole works. I already did the pictures and audio but thought it would be nice to be able to reload the whole shabang.
I'm guessing you want to mirror the drive. I'm pretty sure its possible to an external drive, now putting the image back on the internal in the event of an issue, I'm not sure how to do that...

I believe the popular way to do this, is to have two internals on a RAID setup.. I wouldn't know though, I just backup files..

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 16:55   #3
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

Somebody turned me onto DriveImageXML installed on a BartPE bootable CD. Free (downloadable), and works for me.

I had some issues with Acronis TrueImage 11, but others here said they have used it also.

Last edited by g29andy; 11-05-2008 at 14:41..
g29andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 19:32   #4
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

I agree that a drive image utility is the way to go, however I only create images of a new install. Ideally you would do a completely new/clean install of the OS, all of your programs (minus the AntiVirus/Firewall software) and updates, configure it to your liking and then create the image. Now if for any reason you have a problem, say the hard drive fails or simply want a “clean” OS you can use the image discs and in less than 30 minutes you’re back in business.

My data is not included in the image … I store all of it, and my e-mail, on a second hard drive and I religiously backup all of it. You can save the image to a second hard drive and/or DVD’s ... I use an old version of Ghost to create my images ... as with any backup, be sure that you test the images.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 19:35   #5
muscles
CLM Number 286
Charter Lifetime Member

i bought a 1 terabyte drive from wally world for 200 bucks. i use time machine to backup my full system. it makes hourly backups for the current day, daily backups for the past week, and weekly backups until it runs out of disk space. when it runs out, it bumps the oldest backups to make room for the current ones.
muscles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 14:42   #6
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
I agree that a drive image utility is the way to go, however I only create images of a new install. Ideally you would do a completely new/clean install of the OS, all of your programs (minus the AntiVirus/Firewall software) and updates, configure it to your liking and then create the image. Now if for any reason you have a problem, say the hard drive fails or simply want a “clean” OS you can use the image discs and in less than 30 minutes you’re back in business.

My data is not included in the image … I store all of it, and my e-mail, on a second hard drive and I religiously backup all of it. You can save the image to a second hard drive and/or DVD’s ... I use an old version of Ghost to create my images ... as with any backup, be sure that you test the images.
That's how I use it. Slipstreamed XP SP3 as well.
Old 11-05-2008, 16:44   #7
srhoades

I use acronis for my backups. You can make an entire drive image. I do this frequently for customers who have a failing hard drive or want to upgrade to a larger one. Image the drive, restore the image to the new drive. In my case, I make 1 complete backup of everything I want, and then schedule a differential backup each night. My main drives are setup in a RAID mirror to protect against a hard drive failure. I have a seperate drive not in the mirror that just stores my initial and differential backups each night.
srhoades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 17:05   #8
Generalcarry
NRA Member

It looks as if I have a morning goal of mirroring my hard drive, as well as a plan of where to begin.
Thank you all for your advise and expertise.
Old 11-12-2008, 17:55   #9
rcrose

I have an internal second drive and do an incremental Windows backup 6 days a week where it appends and an full backup which over-writes on the 7th. It's pretty safe unless the power supply goes over-voltage and smokes them both. Your external drive would eliminate that hazard. You can do single file restores and it's worked well.
21 Club #1946
Lone Star Glockers #1946
rcrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 19:24   #10
Big Al 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrose View Post
I have an internal second drive and do an incremental Windows backup 6 days a week where it appends and an full backup which over-writes on the 7th. It's pretty safe unless the power supply goes over-voltage and smokes them both. Your external drive would eliminate that hazard. You can do single file restores and it's worked well.
That type of backup routine is asking for trouble just because of the situation you mentioned. I only say it because it's a real PITA when it happens to you. It's like RAID 1- great in case of a drive failure, but not a power failure. And you always need a UPS when running raid. I would agree with the external/media backup or even online services.
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 19:43   #11
rcrose

Probably the online approach would be the safest. There is no single system which is totally bullet-proof. I'm a PC tech for our city and have probably 50 machines of the 350 I maintain using the 2nd drive backup and no problems so far. I'm using it at home and do a 2nd backup to CD of photos which is the most important data on my machine. I've lost power supplies at home and work but none have gone over-voltage. This is not to say they can't. I've also had problems with USB external drives and CDs going unreadable so worst-case, they aren't the answer, either. I hope Murphy isn't watching this...
21 Club #1946
Lone Star Glockers #1946
rcrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 19:55   #12
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

There are a few certainties in life: death, taxes and hard disk failure … your hard drive will fail … it’s just a question of when!

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 19:58   #13
d3athp3nguin

I have multiple external usb drives for storing stuff on (one from when I used Winders a lot, and one formatted for Linux). I just drag docs and media over to them every so often; I don't have any super-duper critical documents that require backing up.