SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-07-2010, 23:17   #1
mixflip

Anybody have this new STAG piston AR?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcAGK5F-xE

They claim to have the best priced piston AR available due to large production numbers of initial models to drive the price down to $1100-ish.

I have $1000 for an AR right now and I am just shopping around. I didnt really feel I need/wanted a wiz-bang koolaide piston AR but at that price I could actually warm up to the idea? I have to admit I have never did look forward to cleaning the old star chamber on DI AR's. I know I have to clean carbon somewhere and if I can move that job to an easier place like a piston (vs the hard to get to star chamber) then I guess thats enough for me to justify a piston AR?

I know all the old school piston haters will chime in but please I have already heard (and supported) those views. I am not a piston koolaide drinker but my interest is peaked on this $1100 offering?

If you have the model 8 tell me why I should or shouldn't get one?

Last edited by mixflip; 06-07-2010 at 23:23..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:15   #2
Hawkman

I own the model 8. I have never had a real problem with direct impingement systems but figured there must be a better way - and this is it. It just happens that Stag is the first to make it affordable. It is a very nice piece and shoots as well as any AR.
Old 06-10-2010, 13:58   #3
mixflip

So no carrier tilt wear on the rear of the lower receiver? Is the muzzle rise noticeably more than a DI? Is the accuracy noticeably less than a DI due to it not being truly free floated? I ask because these are the issues that the haters seem to bombard anyone who sells their soul to the devil and turns their back on DI AR's? lol.
Old 06-10-2010, 15:40   #4
highprimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
So no carrier tilt wear on the rear of the lower receiver? Is the muzzle rise noticeably more than a DI? Is the accuracy noticeably less than a DI due to it not being truly free floated? I ask because these are the issues that the haters seem to bombard anyone who sells their soul to the devil and turns their back on DI AR's? lol.
stag has its own bolt carrier that was designed to address any potential tilt.

you can always have a PWS FCS556 installed if you have concerns with muzzle rise.

Last edited by highprimer; 06-10-2010 at 15:41..
highprimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 15:50   #5
rjrivero

I take this back. It's not STAG, it's Sampson using the kit I mentioned.

Last edited by rjrivero; 06-10-2010 at 15:52..
rjrivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 15:59   #6
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Bolt carrier has been addressed above. I notice no difference in muzzle rise, and it is every bit as accurate as my DI. There have been some problems with retrofits, but Stag (in designing from the ground up) seems to have avoided the pitfalls.

Amazing how any change that is made in a firearm that has been around for awhile is taken as an attack on the original version by owners of that firearm.
Old 06-10-2010, 20:05   #7
mixflip

Yeah, Make a change to the original Glock design and you are in deed attacking the original version of Gaston Glocks design. We see it here at Glock Talk alot.