Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-08-2008, 13:50   #1
DeadMansLife

Cannon Lens...

Any ideas in an inexpensive Cannon lens, atleast f/2.0 and less than 35mm?

I need it to document my 19 month son's lukemia.
DeadMansLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 15:05   #2
MrsKitty

Oh no! Man, my heart goes out to you guys. That's awful!

I can't advise on any lens as I have nothing wide and fast...but I can pray for you all.
Old 11-08-2008, 17:54   #3
Hokie
NRA Member

click for all canon lenses

and what the kitty said
Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 13:17   #4
Glkster19

Sorry to hear about your son.

On the lens' note, I was just getting ready to list a couple lens for Canon.

One is the 18-55 IS kit lens which is f/3.5-5 or something like that and then I got a Sigma 24-60/f2.8. They both take good pics but I'd say the Sigma is much better. Ask MissKitty about that one.
Glkster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 13:38   #5
DeadMansLife

Thanks for the prayers.

Glkster, how good is the f/2.8 in, lets say, a hospitial room type light? What are you looking to get for it?
Old 11-09-2008, 13:58   #6
MrsKitty

You can get the Sigma new from Amazon for $220 plus shipping through Cameta Camera:

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-24-60mm-...6263993&sr=8-1

Some go thru Ebay and Cameta. Regardless, Cameta has them for $220 now. I was looking at some of the $1K zooms when it was recommended to me and I grabbed it and a UV filter (big ol' glass on the sucker!) for less than $475 shipped.

I think it would work. Bump the ISO if you have to. Shoot RAW and tweak later. It should work out great.

My copy is very sharp and I have used it inside without flash and had no problems.

The other lens I would reach for is my 85 1.8 but that is too long for what you want although it is fast and sharp...
Old 11-09-2008, 14:46   #7
Hokie
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMansLife View Post
Thanks for the prayers.

Glkster, how good is the f/2.8 in, lets say, a hospitial room type light? What are you looking to get for it?
Lens speed is not everything. Use your bodies usable ISO range.

I shoot at f2.8 a lot my 24-70L stays on my camera most of the time. You may have to up the ISO to get your SS up but as long as you stay in usable ISO range of your body you should be fine.

Last edited by Hokie; 11-09-2008 at 21:03..
Old 11-09-2008, 14:58   #8
Glkster19

As others have said, it shouldn't be a problem. I've taken shots in my LR with the std lights and they were fine. Unless you buy a prime lens you're probably not going to get below f/2.8 anyways.

Anyways, it has a Hoya Pro 1 Digital UV filter on it and has probably not taken more than 25-30 shots. I'd like $190.00/shipped for the lens and filter.

As MissKitty said, it is a great lens. My only reason for selling is I just purchased the Canon EF-S 17-55/f2.8 with IS that I've been eyeing for a while.
Old 11-09-2008, 15:06   #9
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Any ideas in an inexpensive Cannon lens, atleast f/2.0 and less than 35mm?

I need it to document my 19 month son's lukemia.
Manual or auto focus?

What camera body?

I am a Canon shooter. T-50, T-70, A2E, & EOS-1N.

Old 11-09-2008, 15:07   #10
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glkster19 View Post
As others have said, it shouldn't be a problem. I've taken shots in my LR with the std lights and they were fine. Unless you buy a prime lens you're probably not going to get below f/2.8 anyways.

Anyways, it has a Hoya Pro 1 Digital UV filter on it and has probably not taken more than 25-30 shots. I'd like $190.00/shipped for the lens and filter.

As MissKitty said, it is a great lens. My only reason for selling is I just purchased the Canon EF-S 17-55/f2.8 with IS that I've been eyeing for a while.
What do you think of that 17-55? It was one of the lenses I was considering.

That's a good price, too.
Old 11-09-2008, 15:08   #11
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Manual or auto focus?

What camera body?

I am a Canon shooter. T-50, T-70, A2E, & EOS-1N.

AF. I think he has an XT, could be XTi.

I love my AE-1 more than my XT but film is pricey to play with
Old 11-09-2008, 15:20   #12
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty5077 View Post
AF. I think he has an XT, could be XTi.

I love my AE-1 more than my XT but film is pricey to play with
I had a Black AE-1 at one time. I should have never sold it!!

Old 11-09-2008, 15:23   #13
Glkster19

Quote:
What do you think of that 17-55? It was one of the lenses I was considering.

That's a good price, too.

Keep hearing lots of good things, very, very comparable to the L glass. Just bought this morning, should have it Wed or Thurs.
Old 11-09-2008, 15:46   #14
MrsKitty

Quote:
Keep hearing lots of good things, very, very comparable to the L glass. Just bought this morning, should have it Wed or Thurs.
Lemme now how it goes. I am happy now but could always win the lottery and need to buy things
Old 11-09-2008, 15:46   #15
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
I had a Black AE-1 at one time. I should have never sold it!!

eBay
Old 11-09-2008, 16:00   #16
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
eBay
I am quite happy with my A2E & EOS-1. The others are "backup" cameras.

Old 11-09-2008, 16:19   #17
MrsKitty

You know, if money were no object...I'm not sure what I would be shooting with. I am perfectly happy where I am right now but I do love toys.
Old 11-09-2008, 21:05   #18
Hokie
NRA Member

Quote:
Are you going to paint a red ring on it?
Old 11-09-2008, 21:56   #19
DeadMansLife

My mind is not working like it should right now. I didn't even gice ISO a thought. Thanks for the reminder mk & Hokie.

mk, Iam shooting RAW+jpeg. I am trying to GIRIC so I don't have a lot of work later, but I still want the option in the futrue.

Glkster, hammering out the money with the wife over the next day or two. Another lens is important to the both of us right now but still takes a backseat to some other tough decisions right now. I'll let you know ASAP.

Glockdude, Sorry, should have shot that out in the OP. My head is not screwed on straight right now as you could imagine. Rebel XT. Fine camera if I can remember what buttons to push & when right now.

Thanks all for the thoughts & prayers

BTW, the documentation we are planning on is for a book we intend to put together for Xander. I hope it will help him understand later in life how special he is. Only 500 children a year are diaginosed with this type of leukemia, AML. Possibily this book can help other parents better under the horror and help them come to terms with the fact that, with proper treatment, more survive than not.

Xander is special for many reasons, he has donated (with our consent) bone marrow & spinal fluid for reasearch. He is also part of a research study testing new ways of treating AML. He is at one of the best med centers in the country, Hershey Med. This is a Penn-State school. This hospitial is part of the Childrens Oncology Group. He has some of the best doctors, researchers, and students in the world working on his case. Also the nursing staff (the grunts in the trenches) are absolutely the finest nurses in the world, second to none. They stop to check one him even if he is not on their list.

He is in great hands.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:25   #20
Glkster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
Are you going to paint a red ring on it?
If it don't perform like 1 I will. Then I'll sell it on ebay and advertise it as a very rare L glass that Canon only made 1 of. Should recoup my losses plus a little.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:27   #21
Glkster19

Quote:
Glkster, hammering out the money with the wife over the next day or two. Another lens is important to the both of us right now but still takes a backseat to some other tough decisions right now. I'll let you know ASAP.

No problem. The filter on it will fit my 17-55 I got coming. If you aren't worried about a filter then drop $25-30 off the price if that'll help.
Old 11-10-2008, 16:44   #22
MrsKitty

Quote:
My mind is not working like it should right now. I didn't even gice ISO a thought. Thanks for the reminder mk & Hokie.

mk, Iam shooting RAW+jpeg. I am trying to GIRIC so I don't have a lot of work later, but I still want the option in the futrue.

Glockdude, Sorry, should have shot that out in the OP. My head is not screwed on straight right now as you could imagine. Rebel XT. Fine camera if I can remember what buttons to push & when right now.

Thanks all for the thoughts & prayers

BTW, the documentation we are planning on is for a book we intend to put together for Xander. I hope it will help him understand later in life how special he is. Only 500 children a year are diaginosed with this type of leukemia, AML. Possibily this book can help other parents better under the horror and help them come to terms with the fact that, with proper treatment, more survive than not.

Xander is special for many reasons, he has donated (with our consent) bone marrow & spinal fluid for reasearch. He is also part of a research study testing new ways of treating AML. He is at one of the best med centers in the country, Hershey Med. This is a Penn-State school. This hospitial is part of the Childrens Oncology Group. He has some of the best doctors, researchers, and students in the world working on his case. Also the nursing staff (the grunts in the trenches) are absolutely the finest nurses in the world, second to none. They stop to check one him even if he is not on their list.

He is in great hands.
Oh wow. Where to start...

I shot JPEG+RAW until I trusted myself. Depending on what it is now, I still may drop back if I am shooting for a magazine and don't think I will have time to process or won't need to. That is the best way to learn and all it costs is a little room on the card.

Little Xander is hitting me hard right now. He is staying on my mind. I lost an uncle to leukemia last summer after a long battle. We believe it originated in an experimental program that placed some kind of radioactive pellets in his heart. The good news is it worked and he didn't have any more heart problems but the leukemia was a side effect. At least it gave him extra time...

You are lucky to have such a great hospital there. It sounds like he is in the best hands he could be in.

Don't worry about your head being screwed on right or being in a fog right now. It's expected and we understand completely. Hang in there. If you need a shoulder you can PM me anytime. I'm praying for you guys!