Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:18   #1
DreamWeaver88

Madison Heights.....Still Up To Their Old Tricks

I bought a Yugo Underfolder on Friday, called the Madison Heights PD this morning and asked what their hours are for gun inspections. It's still just Tuesday and Thursday from 1pm to 3:30pm.

I really hate this!

DW
DreamWeaver88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:45   #2
Bumpadrum
zoom in & FOCUS

Why would you take a rifle in for an inspection? It's not required.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:24   #3
DreamWeaver88

In Michigan, a rifle with at least a 16" barrel or shotgun with at least an 18" barrel that measures under 30" overall (with the stock folded) but over 26" (under 26" would be an SBR) is considered a pistol.

I've already taken a Vector Underfolder in and had no problems getting the green card for it. It's just that their hours suck.

DW
Old 11-10-2008, 11:34   #4
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver88 View Post
In Michigan, a rifle with at least a 16" barrel or shotgun with at least an 18" barrel that measures under 30" overall (with the stock folded) but over 26" (under 26" would be an SBR) is considered a pistol.

I've already taken a Vector Underfolder in and had no problems getting the green card for it. It's just that their hours suck.

DW
Has anyone considered a legal challenge to force them to issue permits at reasonable hours i.e. business hours?

It seems like if a license is required for something, the issuing agency has some responsibility in making licenses available, or could be pretty clearly shown in court to be impeding the process and refusing to do its duty.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 13:03   #5
Bumpadrum
zoom in & FOCUS

Quote:

DW
It took me about an hour but that finally dawned on me.
Old 11-10-2008, 20:51   #6
DreamWeaver88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas357 View Post
Has anyone considered a legal challenge to force them to issue permits at reasonable hours i.e. business hours?

It seems like if a license is required for something, the issuing agency has some responsibility in making licenses available, or could be pretty clearly shown in court to be impeding the process and refusing to do its duty.
I believe there was a group putting pressure on them, but it doesn't look like it helped. Not sure if there was any legal action against them.

DW
Old 11-12-2008, 21:07   #7
kc8ykd

I don't mean to get too off topic here, but since that rifle is considered a pistol, could you carry that with a CPL?
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:25   #8
Superheat

Can you register with the oakland county sherif?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:01   #9
Unistat

Dearborn Height's inspection hours are 12-3 Tue and Wed. I feel your pain. However, come Jan 8th, the hours will be irrelevant as there is only a mail in registration, no "inspection" so I don't see many people wasting their time on a lawsuit on the hours issue.
However, if you don't have a CPL, you will still have to go in to get a purchase permit. That is, in my mind, maybe a worse infringement (if their is such a thing) than registration. You might have someone eventually taking that to court.
The thing is, while going to court can be very decisive, it can also be very dangerous. What if they rule against you? Generally you are up the creek unless you've got boatloads of money.
I usually back legistlative reform, but that has dangers too, mainly compromise, for example, the removal of the "saftey inspection" only to have it replaced with a true registration. In my mind this is a slight improvement, if only because its more convienient and honest. Still, it is an infringement on my rights. I don't have to get a permit for or register my word processor do I?
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 20:55   #10
DreamWeaver88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
Dearborn Height's inspection hours are 12-3 Tue and Wed. I feel your pain. However, come Jan 8th, the hours will be irrelevant as there is only a mail in registration, no "inspection" so I don't see many people wasting their time on a lawsuit on the hours issue.
That's good to know. I haven't been following that bill like I should have been. Next year looks like I'll be buying more pistols.

DW
Old 11-15-2008, 19:22   #11
Superheat

Quote:
That's good to know. I haven't been following that bill like I should have been. Next year looks like I'll be buying more pistols.

DW
Maybe not if BHO gets his way.
Old 11-17-2008, 19:03   #12
David_Ely
GAP'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8ykd View Post
I don't mean to get too off topic here, but since that rifle is considered a pistol, could you carry that with a CPL?
If Michigan says it's a pistol, then you can carry it concealed with a Concealed Pistol License. Good luck finding an IWB holster for it!
Bull Dawgs #1966
David_Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 21:13   #13
kc8ykd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Ely View Post
If Michigan says it's a pistol, then you can carry it concealed with a Concealed Pistol License. Good luck finding an IWB holster for it!
I think IWB would be way more accessible than the ankle

Winter around here would be the perfect time to carry one, 7.62 would be great for penetrating those thick heavy coats everybody wears. A nice one-point sling shouldn't be too difficult to hide under a winter jacket or other coat.
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:35   #14
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Just put it in your violin case.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote