GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:41   #1
Joe Plumber

Combining wireless and ethernet networks possible?

I've got my desktops on an ethernet network, and am buying a laptop for my daughter. I don't want to convert the desktops to wireless, but was wondering if I can tie a wireless router into my cable router for just the laptop. I want her to be able to share files and access the internet.

Worst case, I'll add a few ethernet points around the house, but I'd rather give her the option to take it anywhere in the house and not trip over a cable, if it's possible.

Thanks in advance!
Joe Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 13:09   #2
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Either add a wireless router or get a trade-in WiFi/Ethernet cable MODEM to replace your old cable MODEM.
Old 11-14-2008, 15:41   #3
bhoth

Hi Joe, yes, you can add wireless to your exhisting wired network as long as you already have a wired router. Since you used the word desktops, to me indicates you already have more than one desktop so I am assuming you have a router already.

You can buy a less expensive wireless router like the Netgear WGR614 or Linksys WRT54G. You assign either of this a static IP higher than the DHCP range of your wired router. You disable DHCP on this wireless router, then you plug the wireless router in via a LAN port to the wired router and you are set.

Make sure you turn on WPA for encryption for wireless connectivity.
bhoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 19:39   #4
Big Al 24

I have a setup like this. I would recommend the WRT54G as an access point to add to your wired network. I would also recommend WPA2 as the most solid security out at this point.
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 21:45   #5
Unregistered
Senoir member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al 24 View Post
I have a setup like this. I would recommend the WRT54G as an access point to add to your wired network. I would also recommend WPA2 as the most solid security out at this point.
If you get a wrt54g, re-flash it to the dd-wrt open source firmware. It's vastly more stable and gives the unit the abilities of a low-end soho Cisco router.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:45   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you get a wrt54g, re-flash it to the dd-wrt open source firmware. It's vastly more stable and gives the unit the abilities of a low-end soho Cisco router.
For the average user though, thats overkill(not to mention probably more complex than most would like). I've had a WRT54G for a while, with no issues at all. The software makes setting up your network and adding devices very easy.

Just follow basic wireless security precautions
1. Make sure you change the default password to log in to the router to something random, so some enterprising youngster in your neighborhood can't log in to your router and wreak havoc.

2. Use WPA/WPA2, with a good, strong(at least 30 characters), random password.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:16   #7
Dandapani

Like the poster above, I use my Netgear WGR614 wireless router/firewall in access point mode. It plugs into one of the ports of my Linksys wired router/firewall network.
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 16:29   #8
Big Al 24

I don't need the extra functionality yet because I rarely use the thing and it stays unplugged most of the time. In my household there are only a few wireless devices and I usually don't need it on and waiting.
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 17:59   #9
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

I use a WRT55AG - wireless with 4 Ethernet ports.
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 21:14   #10
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Almost all wireless routers still have wired ports on the back. The two I've purchased both had 4 wired ports. Look for terms on the box like "4-port 10/100 switch".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Kevin108; 11-23-2008 at 10:51..
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 13:32   #11
theleafybug

no need to add wireless to your current wired router. takes too much setup. and its going to cost almost the same as a new router. just swap out your wired router for a wireless router. done. (like somebody said, a wireless router will also have like 4 ethernet ports in the back so don't worry)
theleafybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 16:07   #12
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theleafybug View Post
no need to add wireless to your current wired router. takes too much setup. and its going to cost almost the same as a new router. just swap out your wired router for a wireless router. done. (like somebody said, a wireless router will also have like 4 ethernet ports in the back so don't worry)
Thats what I would do, I've never done it, but I bet getting to routers to talk to each other could be problematic... Just get a good wireless router, w/ WPA and WPA2 support, and I don't think you'll have any issues at all..

I really like Linksys products, the software on their routers is very easy to set up. I personally use a WRT54G, and have never had a problem....

Look at computer suppliers, like Tigerdirect.com, Newegg.com, etc, and look for wireless routers and read the reviews, etc.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 17:49   #13
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

And depending on what kind of range you need, basic 802.11 b/g wireless routers with 4 10/100 ports start around $35 so you're not looking at a huge purchase.
|
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote