SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2008, 21:20   #1
Mark 19
CLM Number 111
Whois John Galt

Moving to City of Madison in Madison Co. CCW?

Hi, I was raised in Madison County Alabama, and after being away for nearly 30 years, I have the opportunity to return, and I'm taking that opportunity. I'm on schedule to be fully moved by the first week of January, 2009 of course.

I have a resident NM CCW (not good in AL), and a non-resident Utah CCW, which is good in AL, at least while I'm a visitor.

I plan to go get my CCW in AL. Anybody know about the Sheriff in Madison Co? Can the Police Chief of Madison issue a permit?

Any advice on how my UT permit will be accepted after I switch my drivers' license from NM to AL?

Anything I should know, but haven't thought to ask?
Mark 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 22:00   #2
bamarammin87
h8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 19 View Post
Hi, I was raised in Madison County Alabama, and after being away for nearly 30 years, I have the opportunity to return, and I'm taking that opportunity. I'm on schedule to be fully moved by the first week of January, 2009 of course.

I have a resident NM CCW (not good in AL), and a non-resident Utah CCW, which is good in AL, at least while I'm a visitor.

I plan to go get my CCW in AL. Anybody know about the Sheriff in Madison Co? Can the Police Chief of Madison issue a permit?

Any advice on how my UT permit will be accepted after I switch my drivers' license from NM to AL?

Anything I should know, but haven't thought to ask?
I don't believe the chief of police can, just the sheriffs office. I wish I could help you more, I'm right next door, but in Morgan county. We go to the jail/sheriffs office to get ours. Cops ain't too bad round here, if you get pulled over, just explain to them you just moved here. But I would get your CCW ASAP when you get here. Welcome back home buddy While your a visitor, they'll accept your out of state one, but when you get settled in, go to the sheriff's office (in the phone book, or google it) and get it. Very simple to get 'em here.
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 22:03   #3
bamarammin87
h8tr

this is from the madison county sheriff's website.

here's the address and info:

Sheriff's Department:
256-532-3416
100 Northside Square
Courthouse Rm. 206
Huntsville, AL 35801
Fax Numbers:
Courthouse - 256-532-6976
Arcadia Circle - 256-532-3715

sheriff@co.madison.al.us

and here is the information about the permit. Have a nice night and you made the right choice in coming back!
The State of Alabama does recognize pistol licenses or permits to carry concealed weapons issued by other states who will recognize Alabama pistol licenses. (SEE THE ABOVE LIST) Also, a person may carry or transport a long gun (rifle or shotgun) without a permit. A person may carry lawfully transport a firearm, including a handgun, from one state in which they are legal to possess to another state without a permit as required under Alabama law, provided the following conditions are met:

1. The firearm is unloaded.
2. Neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.
3. In case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm and ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the glove box or console. Title 18 U.S.C, section 926A

Under Alabama law, no person convicted in this state or elsewhere of a "crime of violence" may own or possess a pistol. Section 13A-11-72. Crimes of violence are defined as murder, manslaughter, rape, assault,robbery, burglary, kidnapping and larceny. No person addicted to drugs or habitually intoxicated may own or possess a pistol. Section 13A-11-72. Any person in violation of Alabama's pistol laws may be arrested and upon conviction, subjected to a term of imprisonment of not more than one year and a fine of not more than $500, or both. The pistol will be seized and may be forfeited by court order.
Old 11-18-2008, 22:03   #4
bamarammin87
h8tr

I hope that's helpful. Cya.
Old 11-19-2008, 21:41   #5
Mark 19
CLM Number 111
Whois John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarammin87 View Post
I hope that's helpful. Cya.
That's tremendously helpful. Much more than I expected. Many thanks!
Mark 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:01   #6
bamarammin87
h8tr

NP bud, southern hospitality
Old 12-11-2008, 01:23   #7
Callcthulu

Mark 19,

You will have to wait a six months till you can get your permit. Here is a link with some FAQ that might help. Btw welcome back to go ol bama.

http://www.co.madison.al.us/services/sheriff/faq.html

Later
Callcthulu
.40 S&W #1980, Big Dawg #755,
Niners Club #0000 The 21 Club #1980
Callcthulu is offline   Reply With Quote