Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-21-2008, 15:38   #1
TexasGlock23
Salty Collar

Send a message via AIM to TexasGlock23 Send a message via Yahoo to TexasGlock23
Carrying in a church?

§18.2-283: To a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place, without good and sufficient reason

I have a counseling session at a church this evening and tomorrow morning in VB. There will be NO service so does this mean I can carry?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G23-TFO's, Streamlight TLR-1, Tucker Tx Heritage IWB and a few other goodies.
G19-wifes
own a GM? visit us at customgm.com
TexasGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 17:08   #2
TexasGlock23
Salty Collar

anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G19-wifes
Old 11-21-2008, 17:25   #3
Rabbit994

I don't see any reason you can't. I wouldn't massively worry about it because in my general conversation with officers, they don't know the restriction. If you got "made", either cop would arrest you or not as I don't expect them understand the law with restriction on it.
Rabbit994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 17:58   #4
Tweek's Turbos

I did recently, because my good reason was I didn't have any other place I would feel safe leaving it at the time.
Tweek's Turbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:32   #5
TexasGlock23
Salty Collar

I went ahead last night and carried before I got the replies. No one noticed of course, and as you stated above, I had no where else to place it safely.

G19-wifes
Old 11-22-2008, 07:21   #6
Rémy

A church is a peaceful place.
Even if it's allowed by law I wouldn't carry. Doesn't matter for me if there's a service or not.
But that's more a religious reason - at least for me.
Rémy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:29   #7
RussP

I carry at church. My reason is like anywhere else, you never know what threat may come through the door.

When I was growing up in the '50s and '60s people respected the church. It was a place of sanctuary and safety. Not so today.

It is a sad commentary that there are security companies now specializing in church protection.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:44   #8
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rémy View Post
A church is a peaceful place.
Even if it's allowed by law I wouldn't carry. Doesn't matter for me if there's a service or not.
But that's more a religious reason - at least for me.
Maybe in Austria, but explain the recent and past news articles of mass shootings in churches here my friend?

Old 11-22-2008, 08:18   #9
Rémy

Shootings inside a church?
Looks like some bad guys watched too many Tarantino movies.
Actually that's sad... dying in a church...
Rémy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 15:33   #10
TheEggman
( Classified )

Churches are extremely soft targets, especially after a big collection.

As for churches being peaceful places ... that's what they are SUPPOSED to be, as are many other so-called gun-free zones.

I'll step out on a limb here and say right out, there are a lot of places weapons don't belong.

Until, however, the people who don't respect that, (aka bad guys) continue their mayhem in schools, churches, parks, parking lots and the streets of America, I'm pretty much going to have at least one firearm either on me or within easy reach 24/7.

Would I 'like' to live in a world where bad guys paid attention to no-gun laws and signs -- of course! Peace, love flowers and joy are great ideals. In the real-world, however, it's just a bit different.

For some reason, bad people, the ones who are inclined to shoot up schools, churches and other 'safe zones' don't seem to pay attention to the laws and rules. I suppose that's why they are called criminals.

Rules such as 'no guns allowed' and big NO WEAPONS signs make many people 'feel' safe.

Glockers of the Old Dominion

Personally, I'd rather myself and those around me actually be safe rather than be lulled into a false sense of feeling that way.

Yes, a church IS a peaceful place ... until some criminal or other crazy who pays no attention to that sanctity starts shooting.

Should that unthinkable act occur, however, the church would return to its former peacefulness after a few of the congregation, [or perhaps the pastors/priests/rabbis, etc. themselves] dispatches said crazy person with a few well-placed rounds.

Also, as soon as word gets out that the bad guys face a high probability of being killed if they bring their 'badness' there, it will tend to remain a peaceful place in the future.

My sidearms are also very peaceful. They just sit there, quietly on my hip. They don't cry, sneeze, cough, or even breathe. No one even knows they are there. They are neither good, nor evil, they are just relatively simple machines. They don't 'bark' unless I am forced to use them in a life-or-death situation. They don't disturb the peace, they help ensure it.

After the last church shooting I remember someone saying "I never thought anything like this could happen in a church."

I [and I think I can speak for a majority of the membership here] know that bad things can be done by bad people anywhere, church or not.

The presence of a DEFENSIVE firearm, in the possession of a person who takes responsibility for their own safety, and those around them, tends to make any place a very peaceful place indeed.

Best,

"Never pick a fight with an old spy. If he doesn't feel like fighting he'll just kill you."

Last edited by TheEggman; 11-22-2008 at 15:35..
TheEggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 19:35   #11
TexasGlock23
Salty Collar

See my question is for Va laws and NOT your opinions.

G19-wifes
Old 11-23-2008, 11:03   #12
TheEggman
( Classified )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGlock23 View Post
See my question is for Va laws and NOT your opinions.
Then I would consider my answer to satisfy the "good and sufficient reason" clause, and one Asst. District Atty. and two friends who are criminal defense attys agree.

Similar to a similar clause re: Post Office Carry, no one will know for sure until a test case is tried.

"Never pick a fight with an old spy. If he doesn't feel like fighting he'll just kill you."
Old 11-24-2008, 13:40   #13
TexasGlock23
Salty Collar

Eggman, that was not a direct response to you, but rather to any contributor. With the law being vague I wanted a subtle answer, but I somehow knew I would not get one.

I had a "good reason" and that was it was late at night, in an area I am not familiar with, and I always carry and didn't feel it was safe in a truck where it cold be removed from without my consent.

G19-wifes
Old 11-24-2008, 17:45   #14
TheEggman
( Classified )

Quote:
Eggman, that was not a direct response to you, but rather to any contributor...
Ahh, gotta love the Internet. I made an error and didn't quote ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rémy:
"A church is a peaceful place."
Obviously carrying is a personal choice, and not faulting anyone for their reasons, merely the statement "A church is a peaceful place."

Apologies for the hijack!

Best,

Egg

Old 11-27-2008, 06:40   #15
ditch_dgr

Quote:
§18.2-283: To a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place, without good and sufficient reason

I have a counseling session at a church this evening and tomorrow morning in VB. There will be NO service so does this mean I can carry?
It would seem to me it would depend on the meaning of "a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place"

I read somewhere (not sure where) that it had been intrepreted as "Religous services taking place" I have been trying to find that again but haven't been able to find it.
ditch_dgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 18:01   #16
Tweek's Turbos

Well, the time I did it, it wasn't a regular mass, but I did say a whole rosary with it on my hip.
Tweek's Turbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:19   #17
RussP

Until there is a test case for church carry, everyone's decision to carry or not in church will be based on each person's opinion of what "good and sufficient reason" means.

My reason for carrying may not be solid enough for you to decide to carry in church.

That's good.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote