SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:07   #1
EagleOne716

Back behind the lens

Hello all
After about 20 or so years, I picked up a VERY nice Asahi Pentax K1000 35mm camera w/Kiron 50mm/28-70mm/28-105mm Lenses and Sunpak Autozoom333 Thyrister Strobe Flash.
I have loved photography since I first arrived in Germany (US Army) in 1971. Bought a Minolta SRT-101 while there and traveled through Europe..snapping away. The Minolta was a tank but suffered during a motorcycle accident.
I have enjoyed digital through the years with various small cameras. But my heart was still 35mm oriented.
The other day I was amazed to find the system that I described at a police auction and scooped it up in a heartbeat. It looks brand new and works like a charm.
Time to dust off the old negative file book, put some lube on the tripod that has been in storage for so many years (it is a monster but built like steel) and enjoy the view through a viewfinder again.
Will be back to visit with my new friends here on this forum.
Take care and pleasant picture taking.
Eagle
Old 11-22-2008, 11:08   #2
Fred
Lifetime Membership

Welcome, EagleOne! Reading your post brought back memories for me. I was stationed in Germany from 1966-68, and my camera at the time was also an SRT-101! Great camera - it traveled a lot of miles with me as well.

I remained a die hard Minolta fan until they bailed out of the camera business. Too bad, as they made some really nice cameras and glass. I still have some bodies and lenses I probably should sell, but do have a sentimental attachment to them.
Thirty Dozen member #11
GSSF Forum member -BladeRunner #11
California Glockers Club member #11, NRA member
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 16:39   #3
MrsKitty

Great find! I love my AE-1 more than digital but it sure does get expensive
Old 11-22-2008, 18:51   #4
EagleOne716

I agree about expensive.
Went to buy some film today...STICKER SHOCK
I used to get outdated film (by the pack of 50 rolls) at least monthly from the detectives while in Germany. Mostly B&W (plus-x/tri-x).
That spoiled me.
I love what a person can do with B&W, especially in winter.
This last year we had a really bad ice storm and I had to go out early in the morning. The ice was hanging from the trees and, as I was headed East just after sunrise, the trees looked like they had diamonds suspended from the branches. Awesome picture and I wished I had a good 35mm to capture it.
Eagle
Old 11-22-2008, 20:51   #5
MrsKitty

I have been waiting for snow since I got into this hobby. Three winters now and none. I figure this year will be another wash. I got some ice once but I didn't want to break my neck so I only got to play in the yard.

I am just now learning b/w film. I bought a crapload of different brands/lines/speeds and I have my own darkroom now. I still haven't mixed my first chemicals but I am almost ready... I keep losing my nerve
Old 11-22-2008, 21:11   #6
EagleOne716

Misskitty:
One thing that I miss is developing my own film and then watching the magic of developing a picture.
The smell of the chemicals...placing the negative in the enlarger, shining the image on a plain piece of paper. Then taking the white piece of paper and placing it in the chemicals...and, like magic, watching an image slowly come to life. It truly is MAGIC!!!
When I was in Europe, the photolabs were free. All we had to do was pay for the paper...and it was dirt cheap. I LIVED in the lab..when I wasn't touring and taking pictures. Ahhhhh..the memories
I don't have the room for a darkroom here in my house..so I guess I must rely on somebody else to make the magic.
Get in that room girl, mix those chemicals, run that enlarger...and enjoy the magic. Digital is cool...but film will always be king.
Eagle
Old 11-22-2008, 21:18   #7
hwyhobo

Okay, I will troll.... How is B&W film (grainy Tri-X or even vastly smoother Plus-X) better with snow than today's digital in a 35mm camera?

Little background - I used to shoot both (although mostly Tri-X), and processed them myself from hand-mixed chemicals. Perhaps I am missing a special sentimental bone in my body, but I am baffled by claims of film superiority over digital today. Mind you, I am not talking medium format here (which was always my preference), but strictly 35mm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 21:22   #8
Dirty Dealer

Film is indeed king, but digital is so darn convenient..
You'll have to post a few pictures soon..
Dirty Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:16   #9
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne716 View Post
Misskitty:
One thing that I miss is developing my own film and then watching the magic of developing a picture.
The smell of the chemicals...placing the negative in the enlarger, shining the image on a plain piece of paper. Then taking the white piece of paper and placing it in the chemicals...and, like magic, watching an image slowly come to life. It truly is MAGIC!!!
When I was in Europe, the photolabs were free. All we had to do was pay for the paper...and it was dirt cheap. I LIVED in the lab..when I wasn't touring and taking pictures. Ahhhhh..the memories
I don't have the room for a darkroom here in my house..so I guess I must rely on somebody else to make the magic.
Get in that room girl, mix those chemicals, run that enlarger...and enjoy the magic. Digital is cool...but film will always be king.
Eagle
Oh, I am really looking forward to watching that first print develop. I am pretty certain I won't want to get it out and will keep watching it out of pure glee

I might go mix my chemicals today and play around some. Kind of an unnerving thought...

I still haven't quite come to grips with how I was lucky enough to inherit a darkroom. I had to buy a new blotter book, very little else except for chemicals. Talk about luck!