GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-28-2008, 14:45   #1
Nalapombu

Strange Problem with FireFox..Can You Help?

Hey all,

I have 2 computers, a laptop that I just got and a desktop that I have had for a while. I have ran IExplorer on my desktop forever and never used another browser. The laptop I have, since it is a rather inexpensive unit, also has IExplorer. Well the laptop runs slow using IE so I decided to get FireFox. Ever since installing it on the laptop I love it. It is really quick, much faster than IE and I haven't had any problems at all with using it on my laptop. It migrated everything over from IE when it installed and my links worked fine as well as my cookies for all my gun forums.

Since my laptop was going so well I decided to go ahead and install it on my desktop. After installing I let it get all my links, cookies and such from IE just like on my laptop. Everything went fine and I nosed around the web with FireFox to make sure it was running fine. The problem comes when I came Glock Talk. When I get to the Home page I get the empty boxes where I have to login. I fill in my information and tell it to "REMEMBER ME" and then submit it. The next page thanks me for logging in and tells me it is redirecting me to the home page or I can click the link to go there myself. I let it redirect me and I go back to the initial home page for GT and I see the same empty boxes for my login information and it is asking me to login like I had never done so just a few seconds before. So I tried it again thinking maybe something was amiss. I go to the same page as before where it thanks me for logging on and then I am redirected back to the home page where I see the same EMPTY BOXES as before and I am NOT logged in. I tried filling in my login info and logging in 5 or 6 times in FireFox and I got the same thing, each time it showed me the page as if I hadn't logged in at all. Thinking GT might be having a problem I went to IExplorer to see if I would get the same problem and I DIDN'T. Things were normal here at GT when I used IE. I was logged in just like normal.

Even on my laptop using FireFox I come to GT and my login information is saved and things are fine just like they are when I use IE on my desktop.

I tried telling FireFox to ALWAYS ALLOW cookies from GT and that didn't help. Nothing I did made a difference. I visited a couple other gun forums I am a member of and I logged in and told it to "remember me" and it did. They worked fine just like normal. The only one that was strange was GT.

Well I don't know what to do to try and fix it. Do you all have any ideas or suggestions for me to try? I'd really like to get it fixed as FireFox is just so much faster on both machines and I want to use it on my desktop for all my browsing.

Ideas?

Thanks for your time and help.

Nala
Old 11-28-2008, 22:18   #2
Paul_J

I wish I knew what it was. Mine did it for a few days but started working. Same as yours and only on Glocktalk.
Paul_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 22:25   #3
UtahIrishman
Silver Membership
BLR

I run Firefox and if I understand what you are saying I have the same problem. If you click on any of the 'top ten' threads on the home page, once you are in the thread all the menu choices will then show up at the top of the page.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 00:10   #4
DJ Niner

It is my understanding that the main page login is not functioning correctly. Eric is aware of the problem and is trying to fix it. In the meantime, try this method. It worked for me, and has worked for others (but not everyone who has tried it).

Delete your Glock Talk cookies
(go to Tools>Options..., then click Show Cookies button. Scroll down list to "Gs", find Glock Talk folder, highlight it, click Remove Cookie button, then Close button)

Clear Cache
(go to Tools>Options..., find the Private Data area, click the Clear Now button, then the OK button near the bottom)

Close FireFox

Reopen FireFox

Use this Glock Talk page to log in:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php
Click the Remember Me box when you log in, and if FireFox prompts you to remember your password, choose your option.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 00:40   #5
Nalapombu

Hey,

Thanks for the tips. Just before I came to GT to try and see if things worked I went in and got rid of the cookies for GT in FireFox. I forgot to get rid of the cache though. I went back to the GT page and the same empty boxes were there. I tried logging in and got the same results as before. I tried a couple more times with the same result and then I went to a couple different locations within GT to try and login there to see if it made a difference and it didn't.
I then came down to my thread and decided to see if anyone had any suggestions for me. When I came to the last thread by DJ Niner I decided to try that link at the bottom of his post before I went in and done the stuff he recommended. Well whadda ya know, everything came up pretty as you please! The page opened and to my surprise I was already logged in and ready to go. I navigated around GT for a bit to see if everything would remain logged in and it did. That's how I am writing this message right now. I changed my bookmark to the new link he posted and everything seems to be just fine now. Who knows about this stuff anymore...

Thanks all for the help, but thanks DJ for posting a fix and that new link to try.

WOOHOO, I'm back...

Nala
Old 11-29-2008, 00:41   #6
DJ Niner

Old 12-03-2008, 17:48   #7
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

That seems to have solved my reload problem.

Thanks!

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 19:46   #8
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I was wrong. The fix didn't work for me. I still have to refresh a page, sometimes more than once to get my posts to show up. Sometimes I have to do it as well for forum pages, to see the newest posts.

For what its worth, I use opera.
It's only my desktop that suffers this problem. My laptop works just fine.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:12   #9
DJ Niner

Both systems using the same OS, same browser/version, same everything?
Browser and OS both have most current updates?

Weird.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:21   #10
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
Both systems using the same OS, same browser/version, same everything?
Browser and OS both have most current updates?

Weird.
The desktop is WXP, with SP2 loaded. The browser is the current version.
Laptop is Vista with SP1 loaded. The browser is also the current version.

I run Opera on both. It all started when I updated the browser on the desktop. It had become a memory hog, because it had about four opera updates over the old one.

I had to do a full uninstall, and reinstall Opera. Doing that got rid of all my cookies. When I first tried to get into GT, it did the load page over, and over.

Now I can stay logged in, but have to refresh things multiple times for posts to show up.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:56   #11
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I think I fixed my own problem, or at least the refresh issue seems to be gone. My browser was set to redraw the page every 5 hours. I was checking the settings on my laptop, and it was set to 5 minutes.

I reset my desktop browser, and it seems to have solved the problem. I didn't have a lot of time last night to play with it, and am on my laptop now. I will have to wait until tonight to make sure.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:25   #12
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Drivin' Blind

Firefox problems worse now after upgrade to v3.0.5

No problem staying logged in with IE 6.x

Firefox prior version was having trouble after the first, initial login - irrespective of on which page I tried to login.

The problem with the 'fix' that requires clearing the cache is that doing so also clears out the other things I have going in other open Firefox tabs so that doesn't help a lot unless ALL I am doing is GT in a Firefox browser window/tab. Ditto for having to shut down and restart Firefox as part of the fix - shuts down my other windows/tabs and activities I'm right in the middle of doing.

For whatever reason, since upgrading to Firefox v. 3.0.5, I literally have to re-login at each and every step, every time I change a forum, and there's three of four logins requires to get to the forum content of a subscribed-to "social group".

Also have to log in AGAIN for every post or reply.

I am more of an IE person, but I find that IE takes forever to load past psclicks.com and nht-2.extreme-dm.com before it will process the login or even display any GT page or subpage. So, I tried using Firefox more, but this logging in between 5-10 times a session is kinda tiresome.

Yes, all Firefox settings are selected to allow GT to do whatever it needs to do, including accept 1st party long-term and session cookies, etc. I also also check the ticbox for "remember me".

In fact, it logged me OUT between the time I posted this initially and the few seconds later I went back to edit/add.

Last edited by MB-G26; 12-22-2008 at 01:44..
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:46   #13
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Drivin' Blind

screen shot

attached

Last edited by MB-G26; 05-15-2009 at 11:15..
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:02   #14
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-G26 View Post
No problem staying logged in with IE 6.x

Firefox prior version was having trouble after the first, initial login - irrespective of on which page I tried to login.

The problem with the 'fix' that requires clearing the cache is that doing so also clears out the other things I have going in other open Firefox tabs so that doesn't help a lot unless ALL I am doing is GT in a Firefox browser window/tab. Ditto for having to shut down and restart Firefox as part of the fix - shuts down my other windows/tabs and activities I'm right in the middle of doing.

If this works as it has with other folks, you don't have to do it multiple times; you do it once, and the problem is fixed, permanently. Start FireFox, just one tab, and run the "to do" list I posted above, including deleting any/all GT cookies. After accomplishing all the steps, close Firefox, and when you restart and log-in again, do NOT use your old bookmark to get to GT; use the URL I listed in the solution. Then surf around in GT and see if the problem is fixed. If it seems to work okay, delete any old GT bookmarks, and bookmark the page URL I listed as your GT start page (with or without password entry; your choice, of course).

When this works, it fixes all the log-in problems. When it doesn't work, it doesn't, but at least the problems don't get worse. At least one user reported more problems on the day he made the changes, but the next time he logged-in, everything was okay (from that point on). I can't explain it, I just know it has worked for some folks.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 12-23-2008 at 03:04..
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06   #15
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
I did the step-by-step instructions you posted DJ and it seems to be working. We'll see if it lasts for more than one session now.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:52   #16
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Hmm..spoke too soon. This is getting tiresome having to login to the same site over and over again. Tried a fix posted on the mozilla support site, that didn't work either.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 15:29   #17
JimmyN

When GlockTalk changed over I had a login problem for a bit using Firefox.

In my case there were multiple entries for GlockTalk in the password/login list. So I deleted them, then after the next login everything worked fine.

Go to 'Tools>Options' and choose the 'Security' tab.
Click on the 'Show Passwords' button.
Scroll down the list and highlight any GlockTalk entry, then 'Remove'. You likely have more than one, or the existing one may be incorrect.

That will clear any old/bad entries out of your password list, which it may be trying to use instead of the latest. Login again and it will create a new password/login entry and you should be OK after that.
Old 01-09-2009, 23:47   #18
Lotiki
All that is man

I could not log in with firefox on the main login page either but could with IE.

Fixed it by simply hitting the "reply" button when not logged in, the login screen it then takes you to keeps you logged in.
Old 01-10-2009, 22:55   #19
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotiki View Post
I could not log in with firefox on the main login page either but could with IE.

Fixed it by simply hitting the "reply" button when not logged in, the login screen it then takes you to keeps you logged in.
Another option for folks to try.

Thanks for posting it, Lotiki!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:12   #20
Rager

I've been running FF 2.0.0.04 for as long as it's been around. XP Home, desktop. Probably the only jick-jack with it is fricking behavior I don't like is how Acrobat Reader takes over when loading a pdf in the browser. It used to be really horrible with 98SE. Three finger salute and kill Acrobat processes.
Rager is offline   Reply With Quote