GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-28-2008, 19:43   #1
Carbonfly

Concealed Weapons Permit shooting requirement?

I'm looking for clarification on how the target is scored so that I can practice before I got to get my South Carolina CWP in January. I think we have to shoot at 5,10,15,20, and 25 yards (10 rounds each).

1. What is the time limit?
2. How is the target scored? I hear that you need to get 70%, is that just 70% of shots in the silhouette target?

Thanks a bunch. I just wanna practice as much as possible before hand.

Last edited by Carbonfly; 12-03-2008 at 16:48.. Reason: clarifying that this is for a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit
Carbonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 14:28   #2
sc1911cwp

Gee you should be able to find out by asking the instructor. Be that as it may, I remember you having to shoot at a B-12 target and just hit it in the black. My instructor encouraged us to spread them out to make it easier to count. BTW, if you can't hit this target you have no reason EVER to have a gun for CWP
sc1911cwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 17:00   #3
Carbonfly

Thanks. I figured it was as long it was in the black the shot would count, but I wanted to be sure.
Carbonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 19:09   #4
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

There is no firing from 25 yards.
The Pontificator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29   #5
JohnHoliday

The state requires 30 shots I think, for 3-5-7 years. Most places will get you to shoot a little more, and from a little further away, but even if you have never shot a pistol before, you should have no problem.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:42   #6
Carbonfly

Thanks. I talked to a friend last night that got his SC CWP a few years ago and this is what he said.....

1. Shoot targets at 5, 10, 15, & 20 yards
2. Only get to load 5 rounds at a time, but you shoot 2x5 at each target distance.
3. First 5 rounds, you have to draw from holster and fire shots within something like 3-5 seconds.
4. Second 5 rounds, normal standing with gun already drawn and fire the 5 rounds at the target.

When the wife and I go to the range, I will ask the instructor to see if this is correct and then hopefully get to practice some before the test day. My wife is sorta nervous about the shooting test, even though last time at the range she outshot me. haha
Old 12-03-2008, 10:08   #7
MaximaDrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoliday View Post
The state requires 30 shots I think, for 3-5-7 yards. Most places will get you to shoot a little more, and from a little further away, but even if you have never shot a pistol before, you should have no problem.

I took the CHP class a few months ago and this is what happened.
Also, there is no drawing from a holster. Weapon is already in your hands and the instructor says when to fire. There is a time limit associated with the shots as well.
5 shots in 6 seconds....
MaximaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:44   #8
JohnHoliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr View Post
I took the CHP class a few months ago and this is what happened.
Also, there is no drawing from a holster. Weapon is already in your hands and the instructor says when to fire. There is a time limit associated with the shots as well.
5 shots in 6 seconds....
I think 30 rounds in the minimum by state, but each teacher can set his/her own guidelines.

When I took it he said 30 rounds, 3-5-7yards was required by the state, but we shot more then 2x that, and at different ranges.

We had no time limit on any shots, but we did do a couple one handed shots, and abuot 1/2 where drawn from the holster. Like "Load 6 rounds, on my whistle draw and fire 4 at the target". The after everyone did that, "on my whistle shoot the remaining 2 shots at the target.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:46   #9
Carbonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoliday View Post
I think 30 rounds in the minimum by state, but each teacher can set his/her own guidelines.

When I took it he said 30 rounds, 3-5-7yards was required by the state, but we shot more then 2x that, and at different ranges.

We had no time limit on any shots, but we did do a couple one handed shots, and abuot 1/2 where drawn from the holster. Like "Load 6 rounds, on my whistle draw and fire 4 at the target". The after everyone did that, "on my whistle shoot the remaining 2 shots at the target.
Is that a NC or SC requirement? Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-03-2008, 13:13   #10
MaximaDrvr

Apparently it varies based on instructor.
MaximaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 13:34   #11
JohnHoliday

Wow, sorry, mine was a NC.

I'm really sorry, I completely mis looked that you where looking for a SC permit.

Best of luck!
Old 12-03-2008, 16:27   #12
LAURAPDG26

Going to take mine tonight for NC. I believe it is supposed to be 50 rounds at a fixed 7 yard target. I will find out very shortly.
LAURAPDG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 00:54   #13
NC Bullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAURAPDG26 View Post
Going to take mine tonight for NC. I believe it is supposed to be 50 rounds at a fixed 7 yard target. I will find out very shortly.
Let us know when you get finished. I've never heard of an instructor doing 50 rounds at 7 yards. Should be divided up among 3, 5, and 7 yards for North Carolina. The state required min is 30 rounds into a b27 type or bullseye type target with 21 of 30 hitting the target. 10 each at 3, 5, and 7 yards.
NC Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15   #14
LAURAPDG26

I guess every instructor varies as long as they fulfill the minimum for state requirements. Ours was 50 rds live fire, b-27, must hit within target area 40/50 times, 7 yds away. We didn't do any 3 or 5 yd shooting nor any holster pull or timed shooting. I was able to fulfill it without a problem but I think the 3 and 5 yd distances would have made it that much easier for me.
To be honest though, I don't understand the distance requirement. If you are holding the gun properly and the bullet leaves the barrel at the right projectile angle, isn't it going to hit the target in the exact same place regardless of distance away because it will carry on in that straight line after it exits.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:13   #15
JohnHoliday

Quote:
To be honest though, I don't understand the distance requirement. If you are holding the gun properly and the bullet leaves the barrel at the right projectile angle, isn't it going to hit the target in the exact same place regardless of distance away because it will carry on in that straight line after it exits.
lol

Yes that is true, but its a lot easier to aim at the middle from 3 yards away, then at 25 :P
Old 12-04-2008, 12:29   #16
D-GLOCK17
GLOCKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1911cwp View Post
Gee you should be able to find out by asking the instructor. Be that as it may, I remember you having to shoot at a B-12 target and just hit it in the black. My instructor encouraged us to spread them out to make it easier to count. BTW, if you can't hit this target you have no reason EVER to have a gun for CWP
Ha Ha. Most of my shots were counted COM. The center was pretty much destroyed. All were in the black. It was impossible to count all of the holes. Of course, I received a perfect score. ((With my Glock 26)). Everyone else there became interested in "that little 9mm Glock".
Old 12-04-2008, 13:37   #17
NC Bullseye

Quote:
Remember, there are many people taking the course that have never fired a gun. I have had people miss the entire target at 3 yards. Some of the people have that "First shot jitters" even when they have shot before. The stress of "Looking bad" in front of others plays a big part too on new shooters. That's why I have a practice session prior to the proficiency test.

No, the person that missed at 3 yards didn't pass that day. Did later after some range time.
Old 12-05-2008, 21:52   #18
civilwarguns

I'm a NC. Instructor, There is no score you have to shoot to pass the class, in North Carolina the shooting part of the class is to show that you know the right and safe way to load, shoot and reload and be able to control your rounds. As long as you can show that you can safely handle a handgun you will pass.
Old 12-05-2008, 23:38   #19
NC Bullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilwarguns View Post
I'm a NC. Instructor, There is no score you have to shoot to pass the class, in North Carolina the shooting part of the class is to show that you know the right and safe way to load, shoot and reload and be able to control your rounds. As long as you can show that you can safely handle a handgun you will pass.
That's not quite true. If you use the NCJA Model course then you would be required to have a scored shooting proficiency test. If you look on page 17 of the 2006 edition red book you'll see:

7. Course requirements
The Concealed Carry course that an individual attends must meet
several minimum standards as set forth by the North Carolina
Administrative Code. Those requirements are:
a) Course must be a minimum of eight hours long plus the range
and qualification time.
b) The legal block of instruction must be a minimum of two hours
in length.
c) A written legal examination is required.
d) A shooting proficiency examination is required. The course of
fire must be a minimum of 30 rounds with 10 rounds fired from
the three yard line, 10 rounds fired from the five yard line, and
10 rounds fired from the seven yard line on a silhouette target.

e) The Concealed Carry course must cover the following topics or
it does not meet the minimum state standards:
Legal Issues
Handgun Safety
Handguns
Marksmanship Fundamentals
Carrying Concealed Safety Issues
Presentation Techniques
Cleaning and Maintenance
Ammunition
Proficiency Drills

If you submitted your own course outline you may not require a scored shooting test but the vast majority of instructors do require a minimum score. I do and it's higher than the minimums above so I know the student is meeting or exceeding requirements for shooting proficiency.

Also according to North Carolina Administrative Code

12 NCAC 09F .0105

INSTRUCTOR RESPONSIBILITIES

In delivering the "Concealed Carry Handgun Training" course the instructor shall:

(1) file a copy of the proposed firearms course description, outline, and proof of instructor certification along with a written request to conduct the "Concealed Carry Handgun Training" course for approval by the Commission prior to delivery of any instruction under G.S. 14-415.12;

(2) file a copy of any modification(s);

(3) be issued by Commission staff a quantity of certificates as requested by the instructor for course participants which shall bear the instructor's name, the instructor's assigned number, be sequentially numbered, and bear the raised seal by the Commission;

(4) affix the student's name to one certificate and issue that certificate to the student who successfully completes the "Concealed Carry Handgun Training" course;

(5) conduct the training consistent with the guidelines as established in 12 NCAC 09F .0102;

(6) administer a written examination to the student on the legal issues block of instruction to demonstrate that the student is knowledgeable in the laws of this State governing the carrying of a concealed handgun and the use of deadly force; and

(7) administer a proficiency examination which shall demonstrate that the student is competent in the actual firing and safe handling of a handgun. Such examination shall include the following:

(a) The student shall fire 30 rounds of ammunition at a bulls-eye or silhouette target from three, five and seven yard distances;

(b) At each yard distance the student shall fire ten rounds;

(c) 21 of the 30 rounds fired by the student must hit the target.

History Note: Authority G.S. 14-415.12; 14-415.13;

Temporary Adoption Eff. November 1, 1995;

Eff. May 1, 1996;

Amended Eff. May 1, 2004.

Last edited by NC Bullseye; 12-05-2008 at 23:47..
Old 12-06-2008, 07:32   #20
Carbonfly

Seems like everyone knows how the NC concealed test works. I live in SC folks. It seems like a big mystery down here....haha.

Tags
concealed, permit, shooting, south carolina, test