SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:42   #1
loglat
Virtual Deputy

Carrying on base

Every military installation I've been to has a pretty broad blanket rule of 'no personal weapons'. The only way to have a weapon is if you're on duty, carrying an issued weapon. That means I can't carry a gun to work, can't leave it in the car, can't take it with me to the bank on base... nothing.

However, IIRC, there is a loophole in that rule that says that the installation commander can give written authorization on a case by case basis, very similar to the 'may issue' states.

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen one of these letters, gotten one, heard of one being given, etc. How hard would it be to get? I would assume you would need a pretty darn good reason, not just a CCW for instance.

I realize that the big problem with employers and their restrictions on your ability to defend yourself is an issue of their responsibility to protect you. I think military bases do a pretty good job of protecting their assets, including myself, but my commute leaves me vulnerable. Is there a way around it?
loglat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:51   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Not gonna happen dude.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 13:19   #3
vanderbilt330

I have the same problem here in Georgia. We have managed to get an ok to carry weapons on post when the sportsman club range is open. Gate guards have posted dates at gate when ranges are open and there have been no problems.

So much for a CFL when you can't carry on federal installation.
vanderbilt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 23:55   #4
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Not gonna happen dude.
yup, that about says it.

and regarding the sportsman club or when a range is open for recreational shooting... most posts let to transport your weapon on base not carry it. i'm sure you already know the difference.
:patriot:
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 00:08   #5
loglat
Virtual Deputy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_CRUNCH View Post
yup, that about says it.

and regarding the sportsman club or when a range is open for recreational shooting... most posts let to transport your weapon on base not carry it. i'm sure you already know the difference.
We only have a skeet range. You can't even come practice with anything else. The range that they use for qualification is indoors/no personal weapons/frangible bullets only.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:48   #6
bennwj
Silver Membership
CSM

Send a message via MSN to bennwj Send a message via Yahoo to bennwj Send a message via Skype™ to bennwj
The only instance I EVER heard of (and although this came from a trusted friend I can not say it is 100% accurate) was when a spouse was badly physically abused and her husband the Soldier went AWOL. He beat the crap out of her pretty badly and kept calling making threats that he was going to kill her.

They moved her to a different house on post, but he somehow got her new number but not the address. She had a CCW and she got a letter allowing her to carry on post until they caught the guy.

I think that was one of the EXTREME situations that allow it.

Every post has different rules.

At Bragg you only had to register weapons on post of you lived on post or stored your weapons there.

In Alaska the commander does not allow CCW off post even with a license. Nobody follows that one.

At Lewis the post commander says you have to register all weapons if they are stored within 100 miles of the post. Universally ignored.

At Bliss the commander says people off post have to register their weapons.

None of these off post rules apply to family members, so if your spouse owns your guns..........

--attributed to two people: Barack Obama and George Armstrong Custer.
bennwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:51   #7
bennwj
Silver Membership
CSM

Send a message via MSN to bennwj Send a message via Yahoo to bennwj Send a message via Skype™ to bennwj
At Bragg you were allowed to CCW if you were going from a location off post, directly to your quarters on post, with no stops in between. You could also leave your house and drive directly off post.

They have a new PMO and I think that has been changed.

However, when I lived on post I DID NOT stop as soon as I cleared the gate, load my gun and holster it......just to go to Fayetteville. It left the house with me.

--attributed to two people: Barack Obama and George Armstrong Custer.
bennwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 13:47   #8
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

If you're Air Force read AFI 31-101.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000, LMT MRP CQB, Ruger 10/22
crazypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 14:13   #9
loglat
Virtual Deputy

Thanks for the info. I'd love to be able to leave my gun in (locked) in the car while I'm at work, but I do a lot of stuff on base (quick stops like getting gas or something), and sometimes I just don't have time to take my gun somewhere and lock it up just so I can legally go on base.
Old 12-31-2008, 15:35   #10
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

I hear you. It sucks for those that live on base as well. We have to lock the gun up and seperate the mag from it. Then drive directly home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 12-31-2008, 16:52   #11
Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypilot View Post
If you're Air Force read AFI 31-101.
I just looked at the AFI you referenced.

Didn't see anything gun related in the AFI. It was security manager and classified stuff.

Unless I missed something
Iron Butt #26949
:harley:
Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 17:41   #12
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
I just looked at the AFI you referenced.

Didn't see anything gun related in the AFI. It was security manager and classified stuff.

Unless I missed something
I just read a hardcopy the other day. I just went to the AF publication website and they don't have an electronic copy available. I had to register my guns on base and I had to get CC approval to keep them at home instead of the armory. The SPs had a hard copy.

Old 08-30-2010, 22:52   #13
awq134

Send a message via ICQ to awq134 Send a message via AIM to awq134 Send a message via MSN to awq134 Send a message via Yahoo to awq134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennwj View Post
At Bragg you were allowed to CCW if you were going from a location off post, directly to your quarters on post, with no stops in between. You could also leave your house and drive directly off post.

They have a new PMO and I think that has been changed.

However, when I lived on post I DID NOT stop as soon as I cleared the gate, load my gun and holster it......just to go to Fayetteville. It left the house with me.
I dont' blame you on that one. Fayetteville is the reason i got my CCW. Unfortunately Pope does not have such a rule

awq134 is offline   Reply With Quote