Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-14-2002, 18:24   #1
Z34Lee
Rush is Right!

Send a message via AIM to Z34Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Z34Lee
Oops...squirrel season starts tomorrow

I just checked my state's DNR website and squirrel season starts tomorrow. I thought some season was opening soon, but I'm a little underprepared. I've done a fair amount of squirrel hunting in the past but I'm still a pretty novice hunter. I've cleaned 6 squirrels and cooked them up but I'm still looking for more good sources of information in that area. Can anyone help me out? I doubt that I'll be able to clean these right away. Any recommendations on what to do with them until I can get to cleaning them? Also storing methods and things like that would be very helpful. Thanks.
Top Guns .357 Sig Club #432
.40S&W Club #432
H,F,& C Club #432

"Reckon so" - The Outlaw Josey Wales
Z34Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 18:48   #2
mpol777
Feral Member

i wouldn't wait to clean them. you should clean them as soon as possible and get them in the freezer or cook them. it seems to take a while when you first get started, but after a few dozen of them you'll be able to clean 6 out in 10-15 minutes. if you've ever seen an old experienced hunter clean game you'll know what i mean. it just takes practice.

as for storing wash them off with cool water that has a little bit of salt in it. them pat them dry with a towel and toss 'em in a freezer bag.
Old 08-14-2002, 23:04   #3
method

Our's starts Friday. Went down to Walmart after reading this thread before and got my license and a pak of MiniMags. It's about all the hunting I'll be able to do before leaving Ohio, I'm gonna miss the woods like we've got.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:30   #4
mikescooling

I'M kinda stating the basic but somebody might not know?
So you killed the squirrel first make sure its dead [little joke] Take a pocket knife open the stomach pull all the guts out with your hand. Take the paws and slice up the pelt, then slice the pelt away from the head [around the neck] and pull all the pelt completely off, the hole thing takes 5 min.
Hope I helped Mike
mikescooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 09:44   #5
3MartiniLunch
Vegan Slayer

clean them as soon as possible after shooting them...skin comes off much easier when warm. might want to let them lay for a few minutes though, as another one may show itself after things settle down ~5 minutes after your shot. also lets the fleas disembark.

make sure they're dead...those little rodent incisors cut metal (specifically the front sight band of an Ithaca 20 gage, but don't ask how I know that), they're damn sure cut flesh.

anyway, the best skinning method I've used is this:
pinch a bit of their back skin between your thumb and finger, and slice a hole in the skin large enough to get two fingers into. rip or cut the skin all the way around the midsection, then hold each piece (front and back) of the skin, and pull apart. skin will come off the body and legs like taking off a sock. will have to pull pretty hard to get around the hind legs...probably also twist the legs a little to get a better angle.
strip the skin all the way to the ankles, break the ankle bones, and cut the tendons with your knife. cut off the head at the now-skinless neck.
NOW, gut the squirrel.
this way, unless you hit the body (you are using a .22 not a shotgun, right?) and it's really bloody, you won't get nearly as much hair on teh meat as if you gutted, then skinned. very quick as well once you get used to doing it.
my $0.02
3MartiniLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:47   #6
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally posted by 3MartiniLunch
they're damn sure cut flesh.
Yes, don't ask me how I know that.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:00   #7
smeet5150
Southern Son

yes they do cut flesh. I lured a squirrel into my apartment one day while very bored and was bit on the shoulder trying to get him out.