Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-07-2008, 16:53   #1
NateHodge
Here too much

Brand new HP has frozen up 3 times. Ideas?

I bought an HP laptop a week ago. The only thing I have put on here are Full Tilt Poker and Limewire the day I got it. And tuesday, I put Itunes on here. Tuesday night, while playing poker, it froze up. Even Ctrl-Alt-Del didn't get me a response. It did the same thing wednesday, and again just a few minutes ago.

At first, I was thinking it was Itunes since it ran like a sewing machine until the day I installed Itunes. But thinking back, all three times it locked up, I was playing poker. Any ideas? Has anyone heard of any issues with the programs I have installed?

FYI: I am running Vista 64-Bit and I use Norton.
Old 12-07-2008, 16:57   #2
betyourlife
on a GLOCK

Return it?
betyourlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 17:18   #3
stolivar

First problem is limewire

IT is one of the biggest problems on letting in spyware, virus's and trojans.

steve
stolivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 17:43   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolivar View Post

steve
I'd have to agree, but it doesn't appear Limewire is the culprit.

Use the Laptiop for anything but Full Tilt for a while, and see if all goes well. Maybe a couple hours. After said couple of hours, if nothing happens, fire up Full Tilt, and see how it goes. If it Freezes up w/ Full Tilt running, thats a pretty good indication.

Beyond that, does it appear the Fans are running, Good ventilation, etc?

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 17:45   #5
NateHodge
Here too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by betyourlife View Post
Return it?
I'm guessint that would be a no-go. I'd be willing to bet they would claim "software issues causes by third party vendors".

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolivar View Post

steve
I agree 100% that people with no knowledge of what to look for should stay the hell away from limewire. It is a big outlet for Trojans and trackers, but like I said, alot of people don't know what to look for or how to safely use it. And, people that don't know what they are doing use it blindly with no protection. So far, I have had 2 other computers and have run limewire on both without a hitch. My step dad has also had 2 laptops that he run limewire on with no issues. But I don't allow anyone to download anything onto my machines. On this HP in particular, I haven't even downloaded anything.
Old 12-07-2008, 17:46   #6
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

How much memory?

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 17:52   #7
NateHodge
Here too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
How much memory?

According to manufacturers specs, 320GB hard Drive, 4gigs of ram. Looking at the C drive, 248GB free of 288 total.
Old 12-07-2008, 17:53   #8
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

I don't hear about too many laptops running well with Vista. Remember, the operating system alone sucks up 1.5GB.

S&W Club - 22227
Old 12-07-2008, 17:58   #9
NateHodge
Here too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
I don't hear about too many laptops running well with Vista. Remember, the operating system alone sucks up 1.5GB.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Vista, which brings up another topic. Can I downgrade to XP? The Office Depot guy said no.
Old 12-07-2008, 18:01   #10
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Actually I believe you can. My brother is part owner of a large computer company and they downgrade to visits on each machine before it goes to customers. I'm not sure how it does it though.

S&W Club - 22227
Old 12-07-2008, 18:23   #11
Kentucky_Guy

Youve got two problems:

Limewire and Norton.......Your computer is loaded with viruses and spyware right now

Limewire is loaded with viruses and trojans, and you HAVE to have a high-quality anti-virus, spyware program to use with it...

and norton AINT' IT....Norton is the biggest POS antivirus on the market......

get yourself a copy of NOD-32 here :

http://www.eset.com/

get the 30 day free trial and you will find God knows how many nasty things on your machine from Limewire.....

I use Limewire with complete confidence with NOD32...it picks up the corrupted files before they even download....then move on to the next download til you find a good one......

and as soon as you download NOD32, completely remove that over-bloated, resource hog Norton off your machine.....

Last edited by Kentucky_Guy; 12-07-2008 at 18:27..
Kentucky_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 19:04   #12
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

+1 for Limewire (you aren't downloading pirated copyrighted songs are you? )
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 21:12   #13
Big Al 24

LIMEWIRE!?!?!? I can't believe there's people still using that. Yeah I'd wipe the whole machine and never use Limewire again. At least use Utorrent or get hooked into a Usenext account like a modern human being. I'd try Utorrent if you need to share. And just so people know, there's plenty of legal downloads that happen with torrents. It's not all music and movies. Limewire???
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 22:25   #14
NateHodge
Here too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Guy View Post
....Norton is the biggest POS antivirus on the market......

get yourself a copy of NOD-32 here :

http://www.eset.com/

I use Limewire with complete confidence with NOD32...it picks up the corrupted files before they even download....then move on to the next download til you find a good one......

I have heard a lot of good things about NOD-32. Supposed to be one of the best(if not THE best), right? After powering on my computer for the first time and going throught the initial setup and creating the recovery discs, I deliberately clicked on suspicious files in Limewire to see what Norton would do. It caught them and stopped cold to my surprise.

I activated Norton because it was free for a year with the computer. before I got this computer, I ran Mcafee because it was free with Comcast. I can still get Mcafee for free, but wanted to give Norton a try first. Can I DL NOD-32 without having compatibality issues with Norton?

Big Al, what is a good torrent client? Last time I used a torrent client, it was BitTorrent, which I liked. I tried Vuse and didn't really care for it. Ideas?
Old 12-08-2008, 00:21   #15
DoubleWide

I would suspect Full Tilt Poker is causing the problems, but agree you should get rid of LimeWire too.

Since you probably only have a week* to make sure it's not something else. I'd do a full reformat and restore using the restore section or cd if you have them. Afterward run a torture test program like Prime95 to see if you have any problems. More than likely, it's the Full Tilt Poker client.

*A day or two after Christmas, you could try to return/exchange it as a Christmas present that was just opened and is now having problems.
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:26   #16
noway

suggestion;

Linux or MacOSX both would fix your freezing up issues.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 14:45   #17
Ralff

I don't think a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OPERATING SYSTEM is the answer the OP is looking for.

I'm thinking heat or faulty hardware. It's the only things I've had wrong with my PC that would actually lock it like that.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 16:49   #18
Big Al 24

I believe Utorrent is the most widely used client now. I use it occasionally, and you still have to be careful. The realy gold mine is Usenext, but if you don't know about it, I'm not going to be the one to let the cat out of the bag.
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 18:01   #19
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralff View Post
I don't think a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OPERATING SYSTEM is the answer the OP is looking for.

I'm thinking heat or faulty hardware. It's the only things I've had wrong with my PC that would actually lock it like that.
Agreed, this sounds more like some sort of hardware issue, which a new OS is not gonna fix. That said, I run Frostwire on my Linux boxes, and am still waiting for some spyware/virus problems..

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 18:03   #20
solomansousana

Run HP's system restore, and restore it to a point before you installed itunes and see if that fixes it. If not, do a full system restore.