Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:32   #1
wallyglock

computer screen blackout

once in a while while on line my computer screen goes black for just a second or two.......this started about 2 weeks ago

the screen always returns to normal very quickly and brings up what what you were viewing .

what is this and what causes it ?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:48   #2
havensal
CLM Number 216
Nozzle Jockey

Sounds like it could be a couple of things. My best guess would be the backlight lamp is on it's way out. It could be the power supply within the monitor, does everything go out or just the screen? It could be the video card itself, or even the driver.

I'm a lot of help, aren't I.

Have you tried another monitor or tried your monitor on another computer? That would tell you where to start looking for the problem.
havensal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:10   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Had a problem like this a couple years ago, it was the monitor. While I can't speak for your situation, the lady who was having the problem, it progressed very quickly for her. It went from doing exactly what you say, to going out for about 30-40sec, then coming back on. Finally it went out, and didn't come back on, and she thought it was the video card, because the monitor was fairly new. I hooked my monitor up to it, and it ran fine for several hours.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:12   #4
DoubleWide

What happens to the power/signal light on the monitor when it happens?

Double check your connections and possibly reseat your video card.
I've had it happen when I've bumped the power cord without realizing it and the cord was loose enough to blink off.
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:11   #5
Toyman

Check your screen saver settings and the power saving settings.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 16:52   #6
Big Al 24

Plugging and unplugging it power cord from it, could reboot the monitor's wonky OSD menu software. My monitor has done this once or twice in the 3 or 4 years that I've owned it and unplugging it has fixed the problem. It's never died on me.
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 17:14   #7
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyglock View Post
once in a while while on line my computer screen goes black for just a second or two.......this started about 2 weeks ago

the screen always returns to normal very quickly and brings up what what you were viewing .

what is this and what causes it ?

1) Check all of the physical connections first - make sure the monitor cable and power supply are securely plugged in to the electrical outlet/power strip and the computer. Also check they are plugged in to the monitor all the way.

2) Reinstall your video card drivers with the newest ones available from the manufacturer's website.

3) Could be the backlight or power supply, as others have stated.

4) if the monitor goes out, use this as an excuse to buy a huge new one. There are a lot of good deals out there right now. If you hook up the new monitor and it does not work, you know your video card is fried, but chances are its either a physical connection worked loose, your drivers or the monitor.