Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 17:40   #1
Pancho 12
I'm thirsty...
 
Pancho 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,431
Norton VirusDefs help...

I'm trying to free up some space on my hard drive. Lo and behold, I find a Symantec file called VirusDefs with 8GB of old virus definition updates. I can't delete them.

How do I get them off the hard drive?

Thank you.
Pancho 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 18:24   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,284
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho 12 View Post
I'm trying to free up some space on my hard drive. Lo and behold, I find a Symantec file called VirusDefs with 8GB of old virus definition updates. I can't delete them.

How do I get them off the hard drive?

Thank you.
Easy, uninstall Norton and install Avast. How much free space do you have on that PC? It might be easy to install another hard drive.. Hard Drives are dirt cheap right now.

http://www.avast.com and download/install the free version.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 23:36   #3
Pancho 12
I'm thirsty...
 
Pancho 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Easy, uninstall Norton and install Avast. How much free space do you have on that PC? It might be easy to install another hard drive.. Hard Drives are dirt cheap right now.

http://www.avast.com and download/install the free version.

IGF
Lap top.

Would it be any harder to install one on this as opposed to a desktop?


BTW: Killed Norton '06 and installed '09 (it was free...I promise I'll switch soon).

I got almost 40% more of my hard drive back after everything I did. The machine itself only has 38GB...we only use it for e-mail, pictures, and internet.
Pancho 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:16   #4
bennwj
Silver Membership
CSM
 
bennwj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fort Drum
Posts: 4,311
Send a message via MSN to bennwj Send a message via Yahoo to bennwj Send a message via Skype™ to bennwj
If you ever see a picture of Peter Norton on the box of one of his software products and he looks like somebody beat the living **** out of him, you know I finally met the man.

My wife put Norton AV and some firewall suite on our desktop PC (this was about 5 years ago) and it slowed down the computer to the point that I click an icon, drive around the block, come home and make a sandwich before the damn thing opened.

Uninstalling it did not work so I ended up talking to some dude in India and we had to remove the program from the registry.
__________________
‎"We're moving in the right direction."

--attributed to two people: Barack Obama and George Armstrong Custer.
bennwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:35   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,284
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho 12 View Post
Lap top.

Would it be any harder to install one on this as opposed to a desktop?


BTW: Killed Norton '06 and installed '09 (it was free...I promise I'll switch soon).

I got almost 40% more of my hard drive back after everything I did. The machine itself only has 38GB...we only use it for e-mail, pictures, and internet.
Well, you likely can't "add" a hard drive, but you might be able to find a replacement drive for it. Sounds like that laptop is pretty old however, and probably isn't worth that kind of trouble. If its only used for email, pics and internet... I'd look around for some Linux distributions to put on something with that small of a hard drive. You'll free up a lot of hard drive space, as the OS itself is only gonna take up about 3-4gigs tops, You won't need antivirus/spyware software. The question mark would be determining what wireless device it has, to make sure it was Linux compatible, but that would be easy enough to figure out before you installed anything.

What is the make/model of the laptop?

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:09   #6
Pancho 12
I'm thirsty...
 
Pancho 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Well, you likely can't "add" a hard drive, but you might be able to find a replacement drive for it. Sounds like that laptop is pretty old however, and probably isn't worth that kind of trouble. If its only used for email, pics and internet... I'd look around for some Linux distributions to put on something with that small of a hard drive. You'll free up a lot of hard drive space, as the OS itself is only gonna take up about 3-4gigs tops, You won't need antivirus/spyware software. The question mark would be determining what wireless device it has, to make sure it was Linux compatible, but that would be easy enough to figure out before you installed anything.

What is the make/model of the laptop?

IGF
Compaq Presario with AMD Sempron.
Pancho 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 13:02   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,284
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho 12 View Post
Compaq Presario with AMD Sempron.
There's a lot of Compaq Presario's with AMD Semprons..

Ddo you have a model #.. like Presario 3349, or something like that.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 13:24   #8
Pancho 12
I'm thirsty...
 
Pancho 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,431
V2000...?
Pancho 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 14:14   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,284
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho 12 View Post
V2000...?
Hmm, looks like that laptop should work out of the box w/ Ubuntu 8.10, except the wireless. The wireless device is a broadcomm, which you should be able to get working following some tutorials...

Just something to think about.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 17:58   #10
Smokin23
Member
 
Smokin23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 84
Uninstall Norton and never look back!!! I use Revo Uninstaller(freeware), gets rid of Norton all the way down to reg entries in about 2 min. To hell with India!


http://www.revouninstaller.com/
Smokin23 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:26.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,261
354 Members
907 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31