Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:48   #1
unit 900

Hard Drive - where did the space go?

I have an HP notebook running Vista Pro and it has a 72gb hard drive. I am down to about 2.5 gb of available space. I have already deleted a number of seldom used programs. The entire Program Files folder contains about 32 gb. My Documents are about .5 gb. I have deleted temporary files and can't figure out what is occupying the other space (no doubt Vista itself is taking a good bit). Short of installing XP and starting from scratch, I'm looking for suggestions on how to free up some space.

Also, when browsing the Net, I often get a dialog box asking me to open or save a .php file on Glocktalk and other sites. The page will not load. I need to reboot and everything then opens fine. Related to disk space issue?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:56   #2
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Manually set your virtual memory = to the RAM might help but expect the laptop to slow down.

But most likely, sorry to break the news to you, a new larger hard drive (200GB), an mini EIDE to USB adapter, and a cloning software, re-registering Vista with Microsoft = solution!

Vista is a hog!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:39   #3
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Could be all sorts of things. Many vendors now have backup images of the original OS image taking up half the drive. I would guess you'd be able to see it with a partition manager if you've got one.

Do you have that patch rollback thingy enabled for Windows? That eats up space.

I wouldn't say you need a new drive until you figure out what's eating up your space. You can buy a new drive and have that whittled away to nothing, too.

-Stooxie
Old 12-14-2008, 12:53   #4
David N.

As stooxie said, first, see what is using your space.

http://windirstat.info/
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 14:05   #5
stolivar

problem is with vista

IT makes multiple backups everyday of you drive as restore points. go in and change the way it uses space. It will eat your drive space up and not show up when you look at your hard drive. It hides it.

steve
stolivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 14:53   #6
unit 900

DaveN;
I used WinDirstat and it was revealing (thanks for the tip). It shows that I have 29.2 gb as a text file with the extension of .log. Are these the daily back-ups made by Vista? Can they be deleted, and how if so?

Tech Talk

Last edited by unit 900; 12-14-2008 at 15:33..
unit 900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 15:54   #7
RDW
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit 900 View Post
DaveN;
I used WinDirstat and it was revealing (thanks for the tip). It shows that I have 29.2 gb as a text file with the extension of .log. Are these the daily back-ups made by Vista? Can they be deleted, and how if so?

Tech Talk
I would also like to know!
Formerly Posted as "Big Dawg #383" (10/2000)
Joined John Birch Society in 1961; when others were Hippie Scum & NOW they're running our Country!

I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW.
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 17:58   #8
David N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit 900 View Post
DaveN;
I know basically nothing about Vista, but if you can post the file names and locations of some of the files, someone who does can probably tell you what they are, how to get rid of them, and how to prevent them from coming back. Also, is the large green file in the upper right something that's supposed to be there?
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 17:27   #9
unit 900

David N., and any others with similar issues: I found my Bigfoot in the closet. I expanded the folders in the WinDir program and ran it again. It turns out that Avast anitvirus apparently ran amok and began writing error files to a log to the tune of 32 gb. I uninstalled that program (needed to download a utility from Avast) and freed up 32 gb. I'll go back to AVG and hopefully all will be well. That WinDir was the hot ticket, thanks.

I think the error logs started building up when I began a defrag and began seeing error messages. Each of those errors resulted in a 4 mb log file.

Last edited by unit 900; 12-16-2008 at 17:51..
unit 900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 18:48   #10
CRANKLIN

all of the above + also make sure you clear out your temp directories and your browser cache.

Windows is just a bloated OS.
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." -- Luke 22:36

http://www.cranklin.com
CRANKLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:04   #11
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
Could be all sorts of things. Many vendors now have backup images of the original OS image taking up half the drive. I would guess you'd be able to see it with a partition manager if you've got one.

Do you have that patch rollback thingy enabled for Windows? That eats up space.

I wouldn't say you need a new drive until you figure out what's eating up your space. You can buy a new drive and have that whittled away to nothing, too.

-Stooxie
Not being a Vista fan and having disabled such things under XP I agree with your opinions.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:08   #12
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Give TreeSize Free a try ...

http://www.download.com/TreeSize-Fre...8_4-81064.html

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote