Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:47   #1
krab
CLM Number 270
Charter Lifetime Member

I need a new dependable desk top

I would really appreciate a recommendation for a dependable desk top computer with as large a screen as possible on a $500-600 maximum budget.
krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 14:11   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Look at Dell, you can also check some Dell refurbs on their site.

There's probably some good deals for complete systems on

http://www.tigerdirect.com
http://www.newegg.com

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 17:01   #3
9jeeps
Fogey

No DELL, They are propietory and you may have a pickle of a time getting service and parts if you don't live next door to a Dell Store.... FWIW!

Good luck
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 20:28   #4
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jeeps View Post
No DELL, They are propietory and you may have a pickle of a time getting service and parts if you don't live next door to a Dell Store.... FWIW!

Good luck
Don't Dell desktops have next business day service? They also have a pretty good parts department.

Most Dell service manuals are online.

I would certainly get another Dell.
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 23:47   #5
podwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jeeps View Post

Good luck
I thought they switched to using mostly standard stuff now. Is that not correct? I know they used to use non-standard pins on their power supplies and stuff.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:05   #6
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

I run a Dell Inspiron 8300 at home, an XP box. I've upgraded RAM, switched to SATA HD's (came with IDE), upgraded the AGP video card, installed an old floppy drive to install the said SATA drivers. All with standard non-Dell parts. This box is circa 2002'ish. Won't die.

+1 on refurbs at Dell Outlet.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:17   #7
RaiderRodney
Just Win Baby

I'd check your local compy shops first and see what they can build you in your price range.
RaiderRodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:21   #8
krab
CLM Number 270
Charter Lifetime Member

Well to be truthful I presently own a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and I'm waiting for a 4th motherboard and my warranty is up this next April.

I bought this one as a refurb and it has had too many problems so I don't think I will buy a Dell again.
krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:33   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by krab View Post
Well to be truthful I presently own a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and I'm waiting for a 4th motherboard and my warranty is up this next April.

I bought this one as a refurb and it has had too many problems so I don't think I will buy a Dell again.
Wow, I think thats the first experience I've ehard like that. Have they said why the MB keeps going out? For it to have happened so many times, there must be an underlying reason.

Checking with a local shop to see what they'd charge you to build one(or do it yourself). I'm not really a fan of any PC manufacturer, but am surprised you'ev had that many problems with your Dell..

IGF
Old 12-15-2008, 23:29   #10
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by krab View Post

If that's true you have a right to ask/insist on a system exchange.

I would never buy a refurb laptop.
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:26   #11
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
If that's true you have a right to ask/insist on a system exchange.

I would never buy a refurb laptop.
I agree its certainly within his right to ask for an exchange, and I certainly would be going that route.. That just doesn't make sense.. I've read lots of good things about Dell refurbs, so I'm not sure what your animosity is towards them.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:46   #12
fgutie35

Before you buy anything, check on recalls for the ones you are considering. I'm a computer technician and I personally have worked with IBM, Gateway, Mandas and currently Dell. If you are going to use Microsoft as your OS, go for the cheapest dell with the highest warranty, trust me it will become obsolete before the warranty expires!. If you want a workhorse that will be used for the same purpose for several years, get an IBM with raid 4 SCSCI HD's and load Noppix or any other Linux OS. I have been running this last setup for over 10 years now and still runs faster than any of the latest Macs out there.