GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:34   #1
Mwildt

Security question/recruiter is pissing me off...

So long story short I was charged with a misdemeanor a few years ago, did community service and it was expunged from my record (was not a minor at the time either). For those that must know, we put a port-o-pot in the back of a friends truck. No, we weren't going to steal it, just wanted a good laugh when he came back to his truck.

Anyway...

It's not on my background check, however, my recruiter is saying that it 'may' come up if they dig hard enough withinin my background. I've already wrote a letter explaining my actions and how it was out of character for my behavior. I was initially under the impression that would solve any potential problems with my background check IF ithe issue were to come up later. She's now telling me that when I get to basic I can expect a good cop/bad cop routine and to not say a word if asked about it. She pretty much is telling me to sit there and tell them my lawyer said to not talk about it and to not mention anything about it, even it being expunged.

I'm just wanting to know what will/could happen if it's brought up when I'm at basic and I just sit there like an idiot while they ask me question after question regarding the matter and I say nothing. Will they put me on a plane and send my ass back home or what?

Thanks guys.
Mwildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 14:54   #2
AF-Odin

I am not a lawyer, but have dealt with folks getting security clearances within the USAF and Army for well over 30 years. If you had a run-in with the law, admit it, admit that it was a stupid mistake and what happened regarding it. Many things can be forgiven, but not lying about it or trying to cover it up. In the vast majority of cases, the worst that happens in these type of cases is a delay in granting the clearance to MAKE SURE that it was ajudicated in the manner you said.
Old 12-21-2008, 22:19   #3
Rocknropes

yeah, while I was going through my paperwork process they told me just to tell them everything. There is a waiver for just about everything and something like that, where no one was hurt and it wasn't a HUGE crime, you should be ok. I would talk to other recruiters about it just in case though. Check out www.afforums.com , they usually help with answering some questions as they have AD recruiters as moderators. good luck.
Rocknropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:20   #4
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-Odin View Post
I am not a lawyer, but have dealt with folks getting security clearances within the USAF and Army for well over 30 years. If you had a run-in with the law, admit it, admit that it was a stupid mistake and what happened regarding it. Many things can be forgiven, but not lying about it or trying to cover it up. In the vast majority of cases, the worst that happens in these type of cases is a delay in granting the clearance to MAKE SURE that it was ajudicated in the manner you said.
+1, best advice. save you're self a lot of trouble!
:patriot:
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 16:44   #5
Mwildt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknropes View Post
yeah, while I was going through my paperwork process they told me just to tell them everything. There is a waiver for just about everything and something like that, where no one was hurt and it wasn't a HUGE crime, you should be ok. I would talk to other recruiters about it just in case though. Check out www.afforums.com , they usually help with answering some questions as they have AD recruiters as moderators. good luck.
Thanks, I'll head over there and see what I can find.

I'm just worried about getting question after question thrown at me about it if it comes up. To me it just seems weird/unethical to sit there and not say a word about it after I've already disclosed it.
Old 12-22-2008, 16:58   #6
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwildt View Post
I'm just worried about getting question after question thrown at me about it if it comes up. To me it just seems weird/unethical to sit there and not say a word about it after I've already disclosed it.
You told a recruiter you got arrested for stealing a porta-potty, and it was expunged? Don't worry about that.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:18   #7
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

I went through Security Forces school with a former Exctasy dealer. I think a portapotty thief will do fine.

He admitted it, and basically said to feed his daughter, he did what he had to. They said ok, and let it go. He didn't use the stuff, he sold it. Odds are he'll never get a clearance, but they let him in.

I think a portapotty raid will get a chuckle and not much more. As long as you tell them up front.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:42   #8
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

I've heard even for psych evaluations, it is better to be honest about your craziness than to try to hide it.

Be honest; you don't want to start off with a lie.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:55   #9
5madman2

Quote:
So long story short I was charged with a misdemeanor a few years ago, did community service and it was expunged from my record (was not a minor at the time either). For those that must know, we put a port-o-pot in the back of a friends truck. No, we weren't going to steal it, just wanted a good laugh when he came back to his truck.

Anyway...

It's not on my background check, however, my recruiter is saying that it 'may' come up if they dig hard enough withinin my background. I've already wrote a letter explaining my actions and how it was out of character for my behavior. I was initially under the impression that would solve any potential problems with my background check IF ithe issue were to come up later. She's now telling me that when I get to basic I can expect a good cop/bad cop routine and to not say a word if asked about it. She pretty much is telling me to sit there and tell them my lawyer said to not talk about it and to not mention anything about it, even it being expunged.

I'm just wanting to know what will/could happen if it's brought up when I'm at basic and I just sit there like an idiot while they ask me question after question regarding the matter and I say nothing. Will they put me on a plane and send my ass back home or what?

Thanks guys.
Former AF recruiter (Got fired from it for not making quota) and I also processed Security Clearances. Presently do and review Back ground investigations.

The Rules"

#1 Recruiters are liars. In the cases when they are not lying, they have no idea what they are talking about.

#2. Disclose, Disclose, Dislcose. Nothing is ever really expunged. There is always a record of something happening, evens if details are purged from the records.

#3. For every disqualifier, there is a mitigator. Time between the negative behavior and the present with no repeat negative behaviors is the best mitigator. The relative minor status of the offense is also a mitigator.

#4. Take responsibility for your actions, accept that you learned a lesson from it and will not do something like it again. That does not mean a profuse apology is needed. Saying you're sorry over and over to the investigator does not make things go away, and can get irritating. They are looking to see that there is a change away from negative behavior, not that you can mouth apologies.

#5. You may be asked about it a couple times to see if you make substantial changes in your story. If you tell the truth, and follow the above rules you will probably not see any good cop/bad cop routine over such a minor problem. They accept that most people are not angels and probably are not looking for them. They are looking for honesty.

I think you will do just fine. Good luck in your career.
Not Badge #666 anymore

Evolution stops when stupidity ceases to be fatal
5madman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:47   #10
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Questions, if we run your name, do we still see a SID and FBI number? If we do, there is still something on your record. Easy enough to have your local cop shop run you and let you know. I've done it for guys going in before. Some thought they had clean records when they didn't.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 18:04   #11
Mwildt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
You told a recruiter you got arrested for stealing a porta-potty, and it was expunged? Don't worry about that.
No need to yell, chief.

I was not arrested either, thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 18:06   #12
Mwildt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Questions, if we run your name, do we still see a SID and FBI number? If we do, there is still something on your record. Easy enough to have your local cop shop run you and let you know. I've done it for guys going in before. Some thought they had clean records when they didn't.
I've had the state pull my background twice in the last 3 months, both times it's come back with nothing on it.

I really don't know where else to look to find out if there's an expungement number or anything of that nature that will show there is 'more' out there on my record. Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2008, 18:10   #13
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

If you don't have anything on it, you should have a clear record. However, you may have a crappy recruiter. Ask me how I know!

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 12-26-2008, 18:39   #14
5madman2

Quote:
I've had the state pull my background twice in the last 3 months, both times it's come back with nothing on it.

I really don't know where else to look to find out if there's an expungement number or anything of that nature that will show there is 'more' out there on my record. Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance.
Don't get to worked up about it-tell the investigators the truth when they ask-give them the date, jurisdiction, and the court it was adjudicated in. They'll take care of the rest. If it was an real problem, you would not be getting in in the first place.
Not Badge #666 anymore

Old 12-26-2008, 19:12   #15
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
I went through Security Forces school with a former Exctasy dealer. I think a portapotty thief will do fine....
i don't know. Pot-a-potties, blue chemicals, hazardous wastes,..... sound serious. Probably a felony.

Actually, pleading guilty to theft when they couldn't prove "intent to parmanently deprive the owner of a thing of value..." was silly. It was more like joyriding. Unless you took it out of state or something.
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 20:58   #16
Mwildt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteinborn View Post
i don't know. Pot-a-potties, blue chemicals, hazardous wastes,..... sound serious. Probably a felony.

Actually, pleading guilty to theft when they couldn't prove "intent to parmanently deprive the owner of a thing of value..." was silly. It was more like joyriding. Unless you took it out of state or something.

I never pled guilty if that helps. I entered a diversion program and did a few hours of community service and the charge was dismissed (that's my understanding).

As I talk to my recruiter and from what I gather from you guys, I'm starting to form the opinion that my recruiter may not have disclosed this charge any further and if anything, omitted it. Which is what is leading me to believe that is why I'm being told to not mention anything about it should I be asked.

Sound plausbile to you guys?
Old 12-26-2008, 21:09   #17
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Not the first time it has happened with recruits or recruiters.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 12-27-2008, 05:15   #18
5madman2

Go back to rule #1.

Recruiters are liars. They even lie to each other. Sounds like you are on the right track.

They probably don't want to process a waiver.

Find another recruiter. See how they handle it.
Not Badge #666 anymore

Old 01-24-2009, 18:12   #19
Herknav

Just to beat the dead horse--Tell the truth no matter what. If you lie and they find out, it will be worse than whatever they MIGHT say.

Having said that, if I were you, I worry more about being assigned to the S.W.A.T. (Poop, Water, And Trash) team. After all, you have prior experience in dealing with chemical toilets, very similar to those on some of the fancier passenger aircraft.

Just joking around, but remember--TELL THE TRUTH!
Herknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:40   #20
H5N1_G35LTD

Nothing wrong with being part of the good old SWAT team. Haha. Without us 2T2's your planes would smell really bad. Well.....they wouldn't get loaded with cargo either.
H5N1_G35LTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 20:37   #21
C5GreaseMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by H5N1_G35LTD View Post
Nothing wrong with being part of the good old SWAT team. Haha. Without us 2T2's your planes would smell really bad. Well.....they wouldn't get loaded with cargo either.

SWAT at your base load planes?
Old 01-28-2009, 17:00   #22
H5N1_G35LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5GreaseMonkey View Post
SWAT at your base load planes?

The poo suckers and pallet pushers are in the same shop! One minute you're driving a 60K, next one you're in the LST.
H5N1_G35LTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 17:30   #23
C5GreaseMonkey

Quote:
The poo suckers and pallet pushers are in the same shop! One minute you're driving a 60K, next one you're in the LST.

I suppose your right, but our aerial port guys rotate every few months i think. Packing, Pushing, Pumping.
Old 01-30-2009, 15:54   #24
Herknav

Quote:
You're absolutely right. As I said, I was kidding around.
Herknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 14:28   #25
spectre381

Quote:
I never pled guilty if that helps. I entered a diversion program and did a few hours of community service and the charge was dismissed (that's my understanding).
Earlier you said it was "expunged", but here you say it was "dismissed"... from both a recruiting and background check stance, there's a big difference between the two terms.

Just tell the truth and you will be fine.

"If you know how to shoot, and are quite ready to shoot, the chances are that you won't have to shoot."
-- Blackjack Pershing
spectre381 is offline   Reply With Quote