SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-21-2008, 18:44   #1
RDW
BTDT

Wireless Printing

My and my wife's computer are connected via a wired (D-Link DL704) router.

Just bought a Wireless Lexmark X4550 all in one unit. Can /or How do I use the wireless feature with a wired router?
Formerly Posted as "Big Dawg #383" (10/2000)
Joined John Birch Society in 1961; when others were Hippie Scum & NOW they're running our Country!

I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW.
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 18:56   #2
FL2011

Hmm.... not so sure that you can.

So the two computers are hardwired to the router, and the router does NOT have wireless?
Do the computers have wireless?

IF the computers have wireless it MAY be possible to an ad-hoc wireless connection to the printer to print, but if you aren't really familiar with computers/networking I wouldn't suggest it, not even sure if that'd allow both computers to print at same time, it basically just sets up a point to point wireless link between two devices without using a router.

I'd say just replace your router with a wireless unit, or you can buy something that's called a wireless access point that you can hook to your existing router. It's not a full router, but is meant to allow wireless devices to access your existing router/network.
FL2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 19:17   #3
Dandapani

Are you sure there is no wired option on the printer?
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 19:37   #4
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Did a quick check at the Lexmark and it appears that his only options are connecting via USB cable or wireless. He needs to do as FL2011 suggested either replace the router, add a wireless access point or attach it to one of the computers and share it.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 20:22   #5
RDW
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandapani View Post
Are you sure there is no wired option on the printer?

I have it up & running on my wife's computer via USB. My computer can see it, but not connect.
Joined John Birch Society in 1961; when others were Hippie Scum & NOW they're running our Country!

Old 12-21-2008, 20:36   #6
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

I’ve found that it is easier if you actually attach the printer to each computer, install all of the drivers and then leave it connected to the one you shared it on. Then go to the other computer, browse the network and connect, or you can add a new printer and select “a network printer” browse and connect ... either way should work for you.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Old 12-23-2008, 14:42   #7
solomansousana

If the printer has an RJ45 slot on the back, as it should for initial wireless setup, simply plug it into your router.
Old 12-23-2008, 15:09   #8
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomansousana View Post
If the printer has an RJ45 slot on the back, as it should for initial wireless setup, simply plug it into your router.

I agree. I just got 2 samsung wireless color laser printers and each had an RJ45 (ethernet) connection in addition to USB.

I"ll bet yours does too.......

Old 12-23-2008, 15:46   #9
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
I agree. I just got 2 samsung wireless color laser printers and each had an RJ45 (ethernet) connection in addition to USB.

I"ll bet yours does too.......

This is the first I’ve come across but it does NOT have an rj45 jack ... only USB and wireless.

Old 12-23-2008, 18:54   #10
RDW
BTDT

I don't get it! If I plug a cat 5 (RJ45) into my computer to my router; How does that allow the the computer to see the wireless printer!?

I'm not Stupid, but I'm Ignorant on this one!

Old 12-23-2008, 18:56   #11
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
I don't get it! If I plug a cat 5 (RJ45) into my computer to my router; How does that allow the the computer to see the wireless printer!?

You need a wireless router or a wireless access point that connects to your current router.

Old 12-23-2008, 18:57   #12
dotsun
conf t

Quote:

Apparently into your (wired only) router it won't, using a wireless router or AP will make the connection to the printer.
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 13:09   #13
solomansousana

You have your high speed internet connected to your wireless router, and from there connected to your desktop. When you begin setup on your wireless printer, you'll want to have it hardwired to your router, that way, when you insert the software into your laptop and it configures your laptop to your printer, it will also initialize your printer with the WAP security protocols your using.

It's like when you first join a wireless router to a laptop, once it's connected to your high speed cable, and your desktop, you then, using an RJ45 Cat 5 cable, connect your laptop to your wireless router, then run the setup software on your laptop. This sets up your WAP security protocols along with your password enabling your wireless signal to be secure.

If your cable company is like mine, they drive around once a week checking to see if anyones using unsecured wireless connections, if they find someone on their network with an unsecured wireless, they will discontinue your internet connection until you secure your wireless. This prevents anyone from backdooring onto your internet connection.

BUT, according to your initial post, you purchased a wireless Lexmark printer to work with your wired router. It will work ONLY as a network printer, since your router MUST be wireless for a wireless printer to work.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:15   #14
dotsun
conf t

[QUOTE=solomansousana;11914798

If your cable company is like mine, they drive around once a week checking to see if anyones using unsecured wireless connections, if they find someone on their network with an unsecured wireless, they will discontinue your internet connection until you secure your wireless. This prevents anyone from backdooring onto your internet connection.

.[/QUOTE]

And what cable company does this?? I've never seen a wireless security gestapo before.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:13   #15
solomansousana

Cox Cable High speed division. They actually shut my neighbor down for a day until I could get over and show him how to encrypt is wireless connection, which took only about 10 min to do.
Old 12-25-2008, 19:36   #16
dotsun
conf t

Quote:
Cox Cable High speed division. They actually shut my neighbor down for a day until I could get over and show him how to encrypt is wireless connection, which took only about 10 min to do.
That's just crazy. I'd sooo have to mess with these guys. BTW, I wonder if they have any business clients that offer free public hotspots and how they rectify this in their little brains.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:01   #17
solomansousana

I don't know how they work it out, I do know that a local Nissan dealer uses them for their public wi-fi in the waiting room of their repair shop, but to get access you have to get the password from the register. I've actually talked to the guy from cox that drives around weekly and scans for unsecured networks, he says they usually find 1 or 2 a day and if they do, they'll go and talk to the homeowner and try to get it fixed that day, otherwise they'll leave a disconnect notice on the door and shut off service.

In a way I agree, I wouldn't want anyone piggybacking on my network, sort of like the first generation cordless home phones, back in the day when you could walk with it up and down the blocks until you got a dialtone.
Old 12-28-2008, 14:55   #18
RDW
BTDT

Thanx for responses, but I still don't get "it."

I can use a wireless mouse with a wired router - So why not a wireless printer?

Old 12-28-2008, 15:49   #19
dotsun
conf t

That's like saying you can't use your tv remote to open your garage door. The wireless mouse (likely) uses bluetooth technology to interface with a device you plug into your computer's usb port. Your printer is meant to interface to a wireless LAN.
Old 12-28-2008, 15:53   #20
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Thanx for responses, but I still don't get "it."

I can use a wireless mouse with a wired router - So why not a wireless printer?
You are not using the wireless mouse via the router. The wireless mouse consists of two components, the mouse and the part which is plugged into the computer. They have a radio transmitter and radio receiver built into them.

Tags
s are connecter thru