Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-24-2008, 00:30   #1
WigSplitter

Does legacy matter when applying?

I've often thought of trying to become a Mason.
My great, great, great grandfather, Gen. Edward H. Tarrant, founded the first Masonic lodge in Tennessee. He also served several terms in the House of Representatives.

Do you Masons think this could assist me in any way as far as getting an interview? I have read that you have to be invited, but I don't know anyone that's a member.
WigSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:06   #2
Oldskoolfan
Stay Thirsty

I just became a Mason. You don't have to be invited to apply. You just have to ask. Go down to your local lodge and knock on the door.
Oldskoolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:56   #3
Bilbo Baggins

Accually you should never be "invited" you have to ask one to be one.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:16   #4
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
Accually you should never be "invited" you have to ask one to be one.
Exactly. And to expound on the OP's question: it does not matter if you are legacy or not. Even a 33rd degree mason is the same as a 3rd degree mason or anyone else for that matter. As men are equal by birth regardless of their financial, political, or social-econonic status.

This fundamental is extremely important to anyone who is a Free-Mason. And is why the founders of this great country (who were masons) wrote the Declaration of Independence and included that verbiage exactly.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:55   #5
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WigSplitter View Post
I've often thought of trying to become a Mason.
My great, great, great grandfather, Gen. Edward H. Tarrant, founded the first Masonic lodge in Tennessee. He also served several terms in the House of Representatives.

Do you Masons think this could assist me in any way as far as getting an interview? I have read that you have to be invited, but I don't know anyone that's a member.

It will neither help nor hurt. It will be one of the answers to why you want to be a Mason. In my view you have done what is needed. PM me and I will help you get started along your way.

However the advice go knock on the door of the local Lodge is great advice
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
jetboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 18:35   #6
Oldskoolfan
Stay Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboatdriver View Post
However the advice go knock on the door of the local Lodge is great advice
Thanks for the compliment. It was the advice a brother gave me and I feel honored to pass it along.
Oldskoolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 19:02   #7
ArodJohns

For the OP: Like Oldskool stated, just call up the local Lodge and speak to whom ever answers the phone. (Make sure it is the Lodge though).

If all else fails, email your state's Grand Secretary and explain things to him.

Your great great great great grandfather's merits may well be recognized, but like another poster stated, it won't help but it won't hurt you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
I just became a Mason. You don't have to be invited to apply. You just have to ask. Go down to your local lodge and knock on the door.
I see what you did there!

Every day is exactly the same
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 22:57   #8
WigSplitter

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll go knock on the door.

I never thought to try that because I've never seen anyone come in or out, nor have I ever seen a car in the lot. I figured the lodges were unmanned except for when the members met, which must be in the middle of the night..
WigSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 00:07   #9
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WigSplitter View Post
Ok, thanks. I guess I'll go knock on the door.

I never thought to try that because I've never seen anyone come in or out, nor have I ever seen a car in the lot. I figured the lodges were unmanned except for when the members met, which must be in the middle of the night..
Shoot me a PM with your email and location. I will help you get started.
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
jetboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 00:01   #10
Harley Rider 1955

An old saying: "To be a Mason...ask a Mason!
Harley Rider 1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:24   #11
Harley Rider 1955

Do not be intimidated because other Freemasons must sign your petition. I found there are many more out there than I never knew.
Some may or may not ask why you want to join. I don't ask because I joined for personal reasons. If they DO ask, speak the truth and speak your heart. No man can ask more from you than that.
Harley Rider 1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:15   #12
Spiffums
I.C.P.

When asked why I wanted to be a mason, I said Dad is, the men at church are, most of the outstanding older men I know are......... which I was answering these questions to the older men that I knew.

You gain entrance on your own merit. Then after you get in, it will be a nice conversation piece to talk about.