Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:17   #1
crazyasian1

Tablet owners chime in

Need some opinions from the Glock multiverse. Let me preface this by saying I know almost NOTHING about tablets or their operating systems (especially Android, we all have iPhones), so layman's terms will work best and I promise not to be offended!

My daughter "needs" a tablet for her freshman year of high school. Hard to believe it but schools around here in NoVA have dedicated wifi networks that actual schoolwork is accomplished on. It needs to be able to connect via wifi, because I refuse to pay for another data plan. It must also be able to do basic document processing (MS Word, excel, Power Point, etc.) and have enough memory to store it all. Doesn't need to be top-of-the-line but I do want a good value for my money.

The iPad's not an option, too expensive. She's dead-set on a windows tablet, only because she's intimately familiar with MS applications, but I don't see that there are any good Windows choices out there. I've heard good things about Samsung's(?) Galaxy's and Google's Nexus', but which route to go? I've taken a quick look at Best Buy's site, but all the different model numbers quickly frustrated me.

Any advice and personal experiences are welcome!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:52   #2
VC-Racing
General Flunky

Im looking at a MS surface / Surface Pro.
According to what I found it does everything a laptop can do in a tablet form.

Sent via da Samsung S4 and da Ohubs Camp fir app
Old 08-30-2013, 09:41   #3
crazyasian1

VC,

I heard that MS gave up on the Surface, that in fact that there are warehouses full of them that MS is trying to offload onto unwary customers to save their bottom line. If that's true, I'd expect that support for the platform would dwindle dramatically. Have you heard differently?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:47   #4
Chesafreak

If the iPad is too expensive, so will be the MS Surface tablets.
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05   #5
Atomic Punk

My wife got a galaxy tab 2 for $180 a few months ago. The battery life sucks, but we both really like it.

Last edited by Atomic Punk; 08-30-2013 at 10:28.. Reason: note tab mixup
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:12   #6
kweezy

I have a 7" Kindle Fire HD 32gb... I've managed to figure out how to do everything I want on it. It has office software, which is nice... Plus, it is fast and has great speakers for a portable device. I highly recommend it.
kweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:46   #7
KenInColorado

I just got a MS Surface earlier this week for work. It seems to be a good blend between my laptop and my iPhone. For what it is it works great. I like that it has a keyboard that can be attached or it can be used without it. I'm no tablet expert but this one seems OK for what I use it for.
KenInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:34   #8
AtlantaR6

I recently got the Surface RT. It can be had for 349 and another 100 for the keyboard/cover. Comes with MS Office for that price which is fantastic.

Microsoft has committed to supporting Windows RT into 2015, just released 8.1 operating system, and should be coming out with an RT2.

I have an iPad and Android tablet, and like the Rt because of MS Office, keyboard, mouse, and price. It also has One note which is great for taking notes in class.

Last edited by AtlantaR6; 08-30-2013 at 12:35..
AtlantaR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 14:00   #9
sbhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasian1 View Post
Need some opinions from the Glock multiverse. Let me preface this by saying I know almost NOTHING about tablets or their operating systems (especially Android, we all have iPhones), so layman's terms will work best and I promise not to be offended!

My daughter "needs" a tablet for her freshman year of high school. Hard to believe it but schools around here in NoVA have dedicated wifi networks that actual schoolwork is accomplished on. It needs to be able to connect via wifi, because I refuse to pay for another data plan. It must also be able to do basic document processing (MS Word, excel, Power Point, etc.) and have enough memory to store it all. Doesn't need to be top-of-the-line but I do want a good value for my money.

The iPad's not an option, too expensive. She's dead-set on a windows tablet, only because she's intimately familiar with MS applications, but I don't see that there are any good Windows choices out there. I've heard good things about Samsung's(?) Galaxy's and Google's Nexus', but which route to go? I've taken a quick look at Best Buy's site, but all the different model numbers quickly frustrated me.

Do a site search for "Android tablet" and you'll find that your question(s) has been done to death in numerous other threads with some threads on specific tablets. There are many threads on tablets in the GD/The Okie Corral section.

One thing to keep in mind with tablets be they 7 inch or 10 inch. They are, beneath it all, nothing more than entertainment (ebook, web, email, music, movie) consumption devices. They are not meant to replace laptops or desktops. Rather they complement laptops/desktops. While they can do many things a laptop/desktop can do it may not do them well.

I have been using a Nexus 7 tablet since they first came to the market. Use it often during the day to check email and the web. Its a good low cost Android tablet that rates well against Apple's more expensive counter parts.

Last edited by sbhaven; 08-30-2013 at 14:01..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 15:10   #10
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
If the ipad is too expensive your only choices will be android tablets.

However, I'm not sure there are any good apps for android to work with office docs.

Honestly, why not get her a laptop instead?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-02-2013, 21:08   #11
sputnik767

Answer a couple questions first:

What is she going to do with the tablet? Reading books, taking notes, etc?
What is your price range?
What are your must-have options?

Surface RT is fine, keep in mind it runs on very outdated hardware and the mobile version of Windows 8. It does not run any full windows applications, and the windows 8 mobile app store is lacking considerably. Surface Pro is essentially a full-fledged laptop running a full version of Windows 8 and can run full windows applications. It costs around $800.

The Ipad can be had relatively cheap refurbished, has an excellent screen, and you'll be familiar with it. Still more expensive than some very good Android options, weak hardware by today's standards. The iPad Mini is even worse hardware-wise, running the same internals as the iPad 2 and a very poor resolution display (the worst one if you exclude the cheap chinese android knockoffs). Costs far more than it should given the competition. No expandable memory as you know and no ability to use external storage.

New Nexus 7: Excellent 1080p display in a 7" tablet, pretty good hardware. 7" size may be too small, no expandable memory. Inexpensive at $250.

My opinion: most tablets are useless except for consumption of content, ie: books, videos, or internet. You can't type effectively on the on-screen keyboards. You can pair a bluetooth keyboard to all of them, but you have to carry it around. There are cases with keyboards built in, but they are bulkier. The only truly useful series of tablets are the Samsung Galaxy Note series, either the 8.0 or the 10. They have a Wacom stylus (S Pen) and you can write on them like you would on paper. That actually allows you to take hand-written notes, annotate powerpoint slides, convert handwriting to typed text, etc. The Note 8 is the one I use daily, since it is much more portable than the Note 10. It is also newer with better hardware. You can get it now for about $330 at Costco, that's the Wifi-only model. Has a slot for a micro-sd card, can use up to 64 GB cards. If you buy a $3 USB-OTG cable, you can plug in and use external hard drives, memory sticks, and most other USB peripherals.

Last edited by sputnik767; 09-02-2013 at 21:13..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 21:10   #12
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
If the ipad is too expensive your only choices will be android tablets.

However, I'm not sure there are any good apps for android to work with office docs.

Honestly, why not get her a laptop instead?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
There are very good apps for working with office docs. Most tablets come with something like Polaris Office which is fine, but QuickOffice Pro is much better and costs $15. Plenty of free office apps out there too.

Last edited by sputnik767; 09-02-2013 at 21:10..
Old 09-03-2013, 04:38   #13
markerbeacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasian1 View Post

go to Kim's Site: http://www.komando.com/buyguide/index.aspx?id=9704

Great buying guide for everything under one roof.
markerbeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23   #14
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Seriously. DO NOT TRY TO DO SCHOOLWORK ON A TABLET!!! Get a laptop. Writing a paper, taking notes, or really, doing anything except browsing the web, watching movies, and playing some games is extremely painful on a tab. You NEED a keyboard. And not some crappy add on trying to make a tab into a laptop. Do that and you've just created an overpriced, underpowered laptop with a crippled OS.

Just buy a decent lightweight laptop and be done with it. My wife is a teacher and the school decided to give them all iPads to use for something. Not a single person actually does work on it. They all use their laptops for production and just toy around with the iPads. She actually asked the head of the tech department what they were supposed to do with them. The answer, "Dunno. The head of school just liked the idea."

ETA: I have a Nexus 7 and use it every day. I love the thing, but there's no way in hell I'd even consider typing up a post this long on it. Just WAY too painful.

If she HAS to have a tab get the N7... and a laptop.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler

Last edited by Bushflyr; 09-04-2013 at 10:28..
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:20   #15
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushflyr View Post
Seriously. DO NOT TRY TO DO SCHOOLWORK ON A TABLET!!! Get a laptop. Writing a paper, taking notes, or really, doing anything except browsing the web, watching movies, and playing some games is extremely painful on a tab. You NEED a keyboard. And not some crappy add on trying to make a tab into a laptop. Do that and you've just created an overpriced, underpowered laptop with a crippled OS.

Just buy a decent lightweight laptop and be done with it. My wife is a teacher and the school decided to give them all iPads to use for something. Not a single person actually does work on it. They all use their laptops for production and just toy around with the iPads. She actually asked the head of the tech department what they were supposed to do with them. The answer, "Dunno. The head of school just liked the idea."

ETA: I have a Nexus 7 and use it every day. I love the thing, but there's no way in hell I'd even consider typing up a post this long on it. Just WAY too painful.

If she HAS to have a tab get the N7... and a laptop.
Tablets do have their place for students even if producing content on the is potentially more difficult. For example, as a 4th year med student, I'm rotating through various hospital departments. Most people carry one relevant book with them in their white coat pocket, a folding clipboard with a stack of papers in the other one, and a small reference book in another one. I carry my Galaxy Note 8, handwrite quick patient notes and bullet points on it with the stylus when I do the interview/exam before writing the official one and carry all of my reference books on it. That something like 3 kindle books and a few more on PDF. Plus I can pull up anything online, as well as the patient electronic medical record through it, in hospitals that have such a system.

As far as doing actual work on it, you can buy a full-size bluetooth keyboard and type on it as you would on a laptop. I paid $20 for mine and it works very well. That doesn't mean that I would forgo a laptop for such uses, but the Note 8 tablet works perfectly fine. Funny thing is, almost everything that I do on my MacBook Pro, I can do on my Note 8 with equal efficiency. I have a Windows desktop for power use though, as Apple computers are underpowered for the things I need on occasion. Apple iDevices are severely limited with what you can do without a jailbreak though as compared to Android, and I can certainly go into details for anyone who is interested. Of course the Nexus 7 is not the Note 8, and would not really suffice for my needs. Whenever I travel, I usually bring my tablet with me and leave the computer at home. Android is actually far from a crippled OS. I can easily watch embedded videos in a browser (Flash too), create and edit documents and emails, access my personal FTP server and upload/download files over any network from anywhere in the world, access my home networked computers from anywhere in the world, post on GT, create and edit photos/videos, and utilize external storage media such as USB drives, all without ever connecting it to a computer. And that doesn't include the handwriting capabilities of the Note series of devices.

Last edited by sputnik767; 09-04-2013 at 18:29..
Old 09-05-2013, 05:40   #16
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
If you're familiar with the iphone platform, the iPad would probably work best. Tablets were never made for hardcore word processing or computing, especially since they lack a keyboard. Does the school dictate that she "needs" a tablet or can she use a laptop? I'd avoid the Android OS platform unless she wants to spend a bunch of time learning how the Droid OS does things compared to how the IOS works. I played with the surface tablets and I'm not impressed. Maybe one of the "convertible" laptops where the screen rotates around to become a tablet. Or even one of these Dell tablets http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-10-tabl...n&s=dhs&~ck=mn
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:13   #17
GlockFanWA

Surface RT or Surface Pro. I have used the Surface RT for class work with great results. Having Word, Excel, and Powerpoint as included apps works great.
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25   #18
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
As a student who has an iPad and a MacBook...iPads can produce the work, but it is much less efficient than a laptop for doing so. Tablets are optimized for consumption.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:57   #19
Hooba

You miGht look into an iPad mini as it will be cheaper than a regular ipad.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 09-05-2013, 18:54   #20
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
I'd avoid the Android OS platform unless she wants to spend a bunch of time learning how the Droid OS does things compared to how the IOS works.
Nah, the learning curve is probably 30 mins, and the major functions are pointed out upon first boot. And Android is the only mobile OS that allows you to run 2 applications simultaneously side by side, at least the Samsung version of Android. My girlfriend uses her Note 8.0 tablet for med school much more than her laptop, and uses the dual-view feature extensively.